Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Default The Villages experience is what you make it.

We have owned a home in The Villages for over 6 years. We bought a resale which was 10 yrs old at the time. One thing we discovered is that most people bought in our village at about age 65. That means most are about 80 now. We were 54 & 58 when we bought. We are 60 and 64 now. We don't relate very well with our neighbors because they don't want to socialize as much as younger people do. They did all that 10 yrs ago. We started thinking we were too young to be here. The upside is we picked our house for the location and the bond was paid.
We have learned that the unique thing about TV is that there is so much to do that with a little effort you can find plenty of people your own age and you can find activities that you enjoy. Its easy to get in a rut by hanging out with the same people, at the same places, doing ths same things, week in and week out. If all you do is sit around, eat, and drink, you might as well live somewhere else. You can be bored if you are too lazy to look for interesting things to do.
We love TV because of the lifestyle. However, it does not find you. You have to go out and find it. The difference in TV and other senior communities is the choices. There is so much going on that you should never be bored. Just go to a club meeting that is new to you. Take a class. You don't have to hang out with the same people all the time just because they are your neighbors or because they are the only people you know. Speak to strangers! (It's a southern thing). You might just find a new best friend.
One final thought, don't ask people how they are doing. They will tell you about all their ailments. Just say hello.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Veteran member

Good points, Royr. We found the same - on our street the people are on average about 10-12 years older, and we've found we have little in common. We have made friends through our other activities, and although we are on good terms with our neighbors, we rarely see them other than to wave hello. Some of the newer communities seem to be much younger, and much more active. I notice that Hemingway has neighborhood groups for just about everything - men's and women's golf, playing cards, and other social things. But, like you said, I prefer our location as being more central, and our bond was less. We have a very active social life, and we're quite busy.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Default What I hate about the Villages

The only thing I hate about the Villages is that I miss it when I have to visit people who live outside of it. I swear, just last week I was in Belleview visiting my in-laws and when we left it was raining hard. As soon as we turned into TV the rain stopped and the sun was shining. Coincidence?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Talking What rain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The only thing I hate about the Villages is that I miss it when I have to visit people who live outside of it. I swear, just last week I was in Belleview visiting my in-laws and when we left it was raining hard. As soon as we turned into TV the rain stopped and the sun was shining. Coincidence?
The 'bubble ' protects us. What do you think irrigation systems are for?
- Irving Kristol
Old 06-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by macro View Post
The 'bubble ' protects us. What do you think irrigation systems are for?
If you guys keep it up, people are gonna say you're as bad as I am.

I love The Villages!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Default In the clouds

I love the people that live in TV, you are a unique group, but alot of you live with your heads in the clouds. When a serious subject is posted about TV and it's future, you would rather move on to a more "comfortable" thread, than confront the problems around the corner.I live in the moment, always have, and have few regrets,anybody that tells you they have no regrets is a liar. TV is not a fantasy land, or there would be people standing in line waiting to get in.Just take a reality check and realize you need to get your heads out of the clouds and back on the ground. If i hear one more sales agent tell me the real estate recession has not affected TV, i,m going to.....................
Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 AM
Banned

This thread has a grip on eternity. We have lived in so many places to include overseas, and have chose THE VILLAGES as our Retirement Home based on what it has to offer herewhen compared to everywhere else we have been. For that reason I have held off commenting on this silly post, but here I go.

I DISLIKE ANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT THE VILLAGES.

I DISLIKE THE WORD H*TE IN ANY CONTEXT.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentucky blue View Post
I love the people that live in TV, you are a unique group, but alot of you live with your heads in the clouds. When a serious subject is posted about TV and it's future, you would rather move on to a more "comfortable" thread, than confront the problems around the corner.I live in the moment, always have, and have few regrets,anybody that tells you they have no regrets is a liar. TV is not a fantasy land, or there would be people standing in line waiting to get in.Just take a reality check and realize you need to get your heads out of the clouds and back on the ground. If i hear one more sales agent tell me the real estate recession has not affected TV, i,m going to.....................
Well said Kentucky Blue. I am enjoying living in The Villages, but it is not perfect, and it is not for everyone. I think there are a certain number of people that feel the need to justify their decision to buy here, and really feel personally offended if anyone finds fault with anything in the Villages. Like you said, sometimes we need to take a reality check. Of course the real estate recession has affected TV, that's a no-brainer. If someone criticizes things here, I don't take it personally. I bought here for my own reasons, and I don't need to justify that to other people. However I realize certain things in TV need improvement, and I'm not shy about voicing my concerns, and working with the right people to try to get things straightened around. You can call it being a good citizen, or just protecting my investment.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Sage

Of course the RE environment has hurt TV. Not only in terms of # of units but the gross profit margin on each unit. But it is all relative - they are still closing a huge number of homes each week. The build out date will be closer to 2015 than the earlier predicted 2013. I have friends look at me with that weird look when I tell them what I'm paying for my new house in TV. They think everything in FLA is less than 100K now.

And of course TV is not perfect - no city is. With over 100K people in one location there are always going to be things that need to be tweaked over time. Some residents will just sit back and enjoy their days (they have the right) while others will take up a cause and work towards rectification if that's their thing.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I think you live in Lexington, Kentucky, Kentucky Blue.

Lexington Kentucky is a great little town. It has some very nice new developments with gorgeous homes outside the circle and the plant in Georgetown is bringing in some population increase. There are the lovely horse farms outside and the very decent medical center. The persona of the town from an outsider is one of warmth and culture but it seems isolated and the elite society there is difficult to enter I have heard. It has hosted the queen of England and has great college sports.

I have visited there MANY times on business and I know quite a few folks who live there. BUT I doubt you can really know a place until or unless you live there.

I say this in kindness Kentucky Blue. I had the same questioning persona a couple of years ago when we visited The Villages a couple of times. I offended residents on this Forum when I was in my questioning and sceptical mode. It sure as heck seemed too good to be true. I used the scientific method and checked and rechecked the conclusions. Now after living there only a year out of two, we are still snowbirds, I am looking forward to moving full time to a state I never liked.

So far we have found The Villages have exceeded our expectations. The bond issue doesn't bother me. The Internal Revenue issue does bother me. I would like a level 2 medical facility closer to TV. I wish that some people would exercise more care driving. I am satisfied with the retail stores. The country club food for the most part is o.k. The greatest joy to me are the new people we have met, but there is always a pill here and there.

It is too hot in the summer. The houses are not as much as you get for the money in Cincinnati...or even outside of TV. It is NOT a democracy, The Morses are the ruling family.

But....I still say it is Paradise.

To each his own..we love it and I sincerely hope you will too.

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-23-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 PM
Default What I dislike about TV

KB posted:

"When a serious subject is posted about TV and it's future, you would rather move on to a more "comfortable" thread, than confront the problems around the corner."

KB,
I have noticed this as well. Some threads start out interesting, then quickly get so far off track they become downright silly. I find this rather annoying.

There are members on this site (some who are residents and some not) who look at TV through rose colored glasses. Yes, TV has a great deal to offer over a lot of other retirement communities (that I have visited), but it is also a great deal larger than most retirement communities and that can be both a plus and minus for a host of reasons.

The very small lots in TV is a big concern for us, amongst a few other things. However, most retirement communities all seem to have small lots, so that is something we will have to accept IF we decide to move to TV. The jury is still out on that decision at this time.

Annabelle

Taj, also p
Old 06-23-2010, 09:30 PM

Taj44 posted:

"However I realize certain things in TV need improvement, and I'm not shy about voicing my concerns, and working with the right people to try to get things straightened around."

Taj44,
Where do you live in TV......I think you would make a very good neighbor!

Annabelle
Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Hmmmmm, I wonder what would make anybody think I have my head in the clouds?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Veteran member

ok...let me give you my two cents for whatever it's worth. There is NO place that has perfection. But, TV is a place you can feel goofy and silly and have some big kid's dreams. Tooling around in golf cars and waving at people with smiles on our faces. It's just darn FUN! Music filled evenings in the town squares, two for one drinks, market nights and owning a car you've always dreamed of owning and showing it off proudly. Swimming in clean pools without owning them or having to fill them up with your own water or buying chemicals for them. Let somebody else doi it! Trying out board games that you've never tried before. TONS of them to choose from. HUNDREDS of clubs to choose from. What is the price? Just swipe your resident card and you're IN like flynn! Heh...it's a fun place. Something for everyone. Want to pick it apart? Sure..you can find things you don't like. If ya hate it so much, MOVE! Go back to the friggin' snow and fall flat on your noggin and break a hip, leg or arm. This is a disneyland for seniors. It's like "totally cool man"!!! Probably my biggest gripe is trying to figure out where to eat next. Boy...what a hassle. Perhaps..another gripe is..WAY too many decisions to make. What club shall I try next? Ah yes..another dilemma...Shall I have a Arnold Palmer hamberger or shall it be at Nancy Lopez? Ah yes..another dilemma...I'm starting to get dizzy driving in those round-abouts. Life is tough around here.

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety Bird View Post
ok...let me give you my two cents for whatever it's worth. There is NO place that has perfection. But, TV is a place you can feel goofy and silly and have some big kid's dreams. Tooling around in golf cars and waving at people with smiles on our faces. It's just darn FUN! Music filled evenings in the town squares, two for one drinks, market nights and owning a car you've always dreamed of owning and showing it off proudly. Swimming in clean pools without owning them or having to fill them up with your own water or buying chemicals for them. Let somebody else doi it! Trying out board games that you've never tried before. TONS of them to choose from. HUNDREDS of clubs to choose from. What is the price? Just swipe your resident card and you're IN like flynn! Heh...it's a fun place. Something for everyone. Want to pick it apart? Sure..you can find things you don't like. If ya hate it so much, MOVE! Go back to the friggin' snow and fall flat on your noggin and break a hip, leg or arm. This is a disneyland for seniors. It's like "totally cool man"!!! Probably my biggest gripe is trying to figure out where to eat next. Boy...what a hassle. Perhaps..another gripe is..WAY too many decisions to make. What club shall I try next? Ah yes..another dilemma...Shall I have a Arnold Palmer hamberger or shall it be at Nancy Lopez? Ah yes..another dilemma...I'm starting to get dizzy driving in those round-abouts. Life is tough around here.
Tweety ,
You hit it right on the head. This is the best explanation in the fewest words that I've heard yet.........CONGRATS....

Fumar the appreciative ....

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.