Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman View Post
I started this thread on August 20, 2007 and it is still going strong
Yes, true. But a well placed pseudo bump doesn't hurt either
Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman View Post
I started this thread on August 20, 2007 and it is still going strong
Thank you for starting it and keeping it going, it is one of the few threads that I have subscribed to. I know several have posted that this thread is unnecessary and should be closed, however, I feel the opposite is true. For an outsider like me, reading all of the information published by The Villages is like reading a new car glossy pamphlet - sure there are a bunch of facts provided, however, I'd also like to know what the people who actually drive the car really think. Not everything/everyplace is perfect and this thread allows those non-perfections to be published so everyone can decide for themselves if the negatives outweigh the positives.

Thanks again for a wonderful thread.

KC
Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Default The part I HATE is

LEAVING THE VILLAGES
Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrod View Post
LEAVING THE VILLAGES
You leave The Villages???? WHY??????

Suzanne
Old 12-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Yes, true. But a well placed pseudo bump doesn't hurt either
Pseudo bump. Good description. I like it.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Sage

Big bump
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

bumpity bump bump.

I hate the seat holders.

Well, maybe not HATE..........
Old 12-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
bumpity bump bump.

I hate the seat holders.

Well, maybe not HATE..........
Hey Gracie:

I remember that thread, "one fanny in seat equals being reserved".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 PM

A couple of points.
Don't know who lives here and who chooses not to live here. The Villages were compared to a college campus. No one said anything about not being able to leave campus.
Look at the number of posts on this thread. If you read them all, some you will agree with, some you won't.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:48 PM
TOTV Moderator

This thread started to stray too far into politically charged territory, so, according to forum guidelines, the related posts were moved to the political forum where that discussion can continue in earnest.

The Villages - political leanings, censorship

The above link will take you to the new thread in the political forum. Remember, the political forum is an opt-in. You have to subscribe to it to see it.

Now...... back to the discussion on likes and dislikes about The Villages.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Default My negatives.

Lack of Privacy! Lack of Privacy! Lack of Privacy! We chose to build on a "lake" so we wouldn't have someone directly behind us, but we didn't take into consideration neighbors who make it their business to know everything that goes on around them and intrude whenever we attempt to entertain company on our own lanai. 10 ft or a little more away from neighbors with no fences means you and your neighbors can see each other inside your homes. One of our neighbors told us what she saw sitting on our dresser!

We built in The Villages many years ago, when it was a friendlier place before Harold passed away. The friendly hometown atmosphere that existed at that time is gone.

We also built in The Villages because we were sold the premise of a PRIVATE gated community. We traveled 1/2 the year, and wanted that kind of security for our home in our absence. It didn't take long to realize that the only "perk" from being residents with a gate pass, is that it takes us longer to get through the gates. Perhaps if it were a true gated community with all the security that entails, our home would not have been robbed.

If you and your spouse agree to move here, may I suggest that it is a totally mutual decision without pressure. If one person isn't sold on the idea it can lead to a lot of resentment. In all our years here, we've seen that lead to disaster many times.

Call us grumpy if you want, but we are no longer brainwashed by the advertisement. I would suggest renting for a while first.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrnc88 View Post
Lack of Privacy! Lack of Privacy! Lack of Privacy! We chose to build on a "lake" so we wouldn't have someone directly behind us, but we didn't take into consideration neighbors who make it their business to know everything that goes on around them and intrude whenever we attempt to entertain company on our own lanai. 10 ft or a little more away from neighbors with no fences means you and your neighbors can see each other inside your homes. One of our neighbors told us what she saw sitting on our dresser!

We built in The Villages many years ago, when it was a friendlier place before Harold passed away. The friendly hometown atmosphere that existed at that time is gone.

We also built in The Villages because we were sold the premise of a PRIVATE gated community. We traveled 1/2 the year, and wanted that kind of security for our home in our absence. It didn't take long to realize that the only "perk" from being residents with a gate pass, is that it takes us longer to get through the gates. Perhaps if it were a true gated community with all the security that entails, our home would not have been robbed.

If you and your spouse agree to move here, may I suggest that it is a totally mutual decision without pressure. If one person isn't sold on the idea it can lead to a lot of resentment. In all our years here, we've seen that lead to disaster many times.

Call us grumpy if you want, but we are no longer brainwashed by the advertisement. I would suggest renting for a while first.
Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy the give and take and continue to share your opinions. Have you posted before under another name?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrnc88 View Post

Your negative is why the Courtyard Villa is so popular. We love our wall around 3 sides in back. Nobody looking in, and nobody sticking their nose in when we have visitors on the lanai.

As for snoopy neighbors, ours are not that way at all (old f*rts peeking thru the blinds, looking for gossip material because they have nothing better to do). They are so active and busy outside the house and neighborhood that they have OTHER INTERESTS to occupy themselves with.

As for the home break-in and theft described above, there are security systems and monitoring available for that.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Your negative is why the Courtyard Villa is so popular. We love our wall around 3 sides in back. Nobody looking in, and nobody sticking their nose in when we have visitors on the lanai.

As for snoopy neighbors, ours are not that way at all (old f*rts peeking thru the blinds, looking for gossip material because they have nothing better to do). They are so active and busy outside the house and neighborhood that they have OTHER INTERESTS to occupy themselves with.

As for the home break-in and theft described above, there are security systems and monitoring available for that.
Same here- lack of privacy seems to be a choice not a mandate
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.