Everybody seems to love The Villages, I would like to hear what you hate beside

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Default Re: EVERYBODY SEEMS TO LOVE THE VILLAGES, i WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HATE BES

I do have one thing I dont like about The Villages. My mailbox is in the lowest row. With arthritis in my spine it is very difficult to get my mail! Of course was just the luck of the draw, but how nice it must be to stand up straight and gaze into your mailbox. Murphy's law dictates that a shorter person probably has a mailbox on the top row! I have adapted, lol!

Plex
Old 01-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Default Re: EVERYBODY SEEMS TO LOVE THE VILLAGES, i WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HATE BES

I was told to stay away from Living toooo close to the Commercial areas because of rodent problems. But, I have not seen anything of concern. I think the Villages are on top of the situation to keep things clean
Old 01-10-2008, 01:37 AM
Default Re: EVERYBODY SEEMS TO LOVE THE VILLAGES, i WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HATE BESIDE

Plexer, You are correct. My mailbox is on the top row, and it is hard for my wife and I to get the mail out. Like you it was the luck of the draw.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:49 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: EVERYBODY SEEMS TO LOVE THE VILLAGES, i WOULD LIKE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HATE BESIDE

Can tall and short people in this situation trade boxes and box numbers? :joke:
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 01-10-2008, 03:58 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexer
I do have one thing I dont like about The Villages. My mailbox is in the lowest row. With arthritis in my spine it is very difficult to get my mail! Of course was just the luck of the draw, but how nice it must be to stand up straight and gaze into your mailbox. Murphy's law dictates that a shorter person probably has a mailbox on the top row! I have adapted, lol!

Plex
Have you contacted whomsoever is in charge of mailboxes, explained about your arthritis, and asked for a different box? I really doubt they knew about your spine or Bama's height when the boxes were assigned.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Platinum member

Actually, I prefer the mail bank to door to door mail delivery. We travel a lot--often for just a couple of days. Before we moved here, we were always starting and stopping our mail. It was a pain. Here we don't have to worry about it. Also, prior to moving here we would put our outgoing mail in our mailbox and put the little red flag up. Well, we all know this is not safe--either for outgoing or incoming mail. The whole world has access to ones mail box. Here everything is locked. The outgoing mail goes into a "deposit mail here box. Much safer.
Tampa, FL
Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 PM

My son lives in an upscale community in Orlando. When he moved in it was beautiful. Now the only eyesore is the mailboxes. They all match but some are crooked, some need a touchup of paint, among other things. They need and do correct these things but it seems like there are always several needing attention at one time.
I thought I would hate not having door to door mail but like Avista I enjoy all the pluses of the mail station.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

There are two things I truly don't like about TV. I'm one of those who wants the mail at my house, so the mail centers are a royal pain in the rear to me. Of course, it does give me a chance to socialize with some very nice people and I usually get to pet a dog or two when I get my mail so it's at least tolerable.

The other one is actually a complaint about Florida and the South in general but since I'm in TV, the complaint will be against TV. I hate, hate, hate the humidity. Who knows, I might get used to it in about 15 years. If I don't get used to it by then, I'm leaving TV. I'll have gotten the message this place is just not for me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Banned

Hmmm... 90 degrees and 90% humidity is what I prefer.

The "mail center" is now the standard scheme within USPS, and even the most upscale new developments are getting them nationwide. At least TV has combined the mail with social/entertaiment support systems.

When I first moved to FL in the early 80's (came from the Boston area), I can remember adjusting to the climate by going swimming 11 months the first year, then 10 months the next year, untiil eventually it was down to 3 weeks! The real notice of adjustment is the day you look in your closet and see nothing that is long-sleeved or containing wool.

My standard rapport to anyone who says they can't live without the 4 seasons is, "that's why I get Discovery Channel!"
Old 01-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Gold member

I hate that there is not enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle
Have you contacted whomsoever is in charge of mailboxes, explained about your arthritis, and asked for a different box? I really doubt they knew about your spine or Bama's height when the boxes were assigned.
Okay, I'll now eat some crow. :bow: Apologies of sorts to Plexer and Bama. It evidently does no good to contact the USPS about the location of your mail box. I called Jane's Outpost re procedures to get your box relocated if you had a medical or altitudinal issue that caused problems with the present location, i.e., couldn't bend that low or reach that high. Thought I could get the procedures and relay them to anyone who might be in a similar situation. The helpful gentleman there explained that the USPS was in charge of this and that boxes were preassigned by address to facilitate mail sorting. He said that in 10 years dealing with the issue, he'd never seen a box location changed. This included the case of a wheelchair bound resident. Because of the sorting system, the USPS claims that to change one box would require changing all of them. ::

Sorry for the bad news.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 01-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Muncle, so the govt has a disabilities act, but cannot accomodate,

why am I not surprised
Old 01-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady
I hate that there is not enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.
Not in TV yet, but understand exactly what you mean.

Now that I am retired, I can't figure out HOW I ever had time to work!!
Village of Hemmingway
Old 01-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle
Okay, I'll now eat some crow. :bow: Apologies of sorts to Plexer and Bama. It evidently does no good to contact the USPS about the location of your mail box. I called Jane's Outpost re procedures to get your box relocated if you had a medical or altitudinal issue that caused problems with the present location, i.e., couldn't bend that low or reach that high. Thought I could get the procedures and relay them to anyone who might be in a similar situation. The helpful gentleman there explained that the USPS was in charge of this and that boxes were preassigned by address to facilitate mail sorting. He said that in 10 years dealing with the issue, he'd never seen a box location changed. This included the case of a wheelchair bound resident. Because of the sorting system, the USPS claims that to change one box would require changing all of them. ::

Sorry for the bad news.
That explains why my neighbors' boxes seem to be right around mine. ;D
Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 PM

I wasn't sure if I should put this reply here or in the "lack of good manners post". We arrived here on Dec 30th after having skipped coming down last year (illness). The changes that have taken place in two years are big. Several things stand out more than others. There is a lot more traffic - car & cart - everywhere. I've read all the posts concerning speeding in TV on the roads and cart paths - all true. Once again this year, we have met some terrific people who enjoy TV like we do, but we have also met some of the rudest people ever. This place is paradise and a significant number of people are determined to make it purgatory. Pushy in lines at Publix, the movie theatres, restaurants, and if you can believe it even coming out of church. It seems no one wants to give way on the cart paths - carters or walkers.

We saw first hand an accident at the entrance to Calumet caused by someone who didn't know how to navigate the roundabout. That was a topic on an earlier post.

On the bright side, the golf courses are in good shape. El Santiago is back to being a good restaurant. We have had great service in restaurants at both town squares. The tee time system is working for us and the weather has been terrific.

Nonie - if you read this, the Flea Market at Marion is still going great guns.
To all - we might be getting older but let's not grow up. Enjoy this second shot at "being young". Maybe the crabby people will decide to move to Sanibel or Marco Is.

Aloha for TV
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.