Is Everybody in TV Super Active?

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2021, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

As long as his A/C is working, your friend will be fine.
My wife is far more active than I am. I don't golf, or do sports activities, and in the last four years, have probably been to a pool maybe ten times at most.
Like I said, your friend will be fine.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:38 AM

I would say that while we have activities we participate in, that compared to most people, we are homebodies. We don't eat out much, and don't ever go to the squares at night anymore. But we ARE doing as much as we want to. We don't like traffic and crowds, but it's all good. Your friend can live the same kind of life he prefers, but it's all available if he wants to do more.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:42 AM

Tell your friends that Loneliness and social isolation are a common and serious health risk for older people. Worse than smoking if you believe the research studies. The Villages is a perfect place for introverts who are particularly prone to social isolation.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:24 AM

WE have been in TV 11 years. At first we thought, wow, so much to do. But then you don't have to do everything. We are sort of homebodies, but keep busy. There's walking because it always beautiful outdoors, so much to see every season. Gardening, if that's your thing, it is mine; hobbies, which I have quite a few, shopping is always fun with the many unique shops. Explore the surrounding cities. And of course, eating out, so many choices.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post
I have a friend who is considering moving to TV. I've answered a lot of his questions the best I can, but he asked me one that I realized I'm not really sure about. So I'm gonna ask it here. I've been here a few years and I'm reasonably active. But I hadn't really thought about how my activity level compares to others. And that is what my friend's question relates to.

He wants to know if people who are relative home-bodies have a place in TV. He says he and his wife will likely enjoy the squares entertainment regularly and some other Villages features, but they may not partake in that many clubs, sports, or other similar Villages attractions. He asked whether that might be an issue in any way. I told him of course that TV is very friendly and they should be just fine. But that got me to thinking about something now I find myself wondering about...

I wonder what the breakdown is between the various levels of activity of Villages residents. There are of course those folks who are super active and busy constantly. But I'm sure there are some folks like my friends who are spend quite a bit of time at home. Then there are all the levels in between.

Anyway, just food for thought. I would love to get ToTV input to share with my friends. I would particularly like to hear from those folks who are more home-bodies. How has your experience in TV been?
In The Villages, you can do as much or as little as you like. No body forces you to get out and do stuff. If and when you are ready, there are always venues you can pursue. Other than that, enjoy life!
Old 06-22-2021, 08:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 759 Posts

It's what you make it, you can be a homebody, or very active. The choice is yours.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:55 AM

The main reason I chose TV is that as we get older I can take the golf cart anywhere I need, the squares pool restaurants and shopping. Colony area has it all. , between 466 and 466A ,wAs the best area for us. Right now we golf a bit, go to the pool,squares 3or 4 times a week and our neighborhood socialize every week . But.most important is the weather, no more snow and our children and grandchildren absolutely love it here to visit.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Fowler View Post
Not sure what the breakdown of activity level is among Villagers. I’m fairly active, as are the vast majority of people I know, but I know a few folks (mostly older) who are happy as homebodies here.
I wonder if your friends would be better off in a community with a cheaper cost of living if they are not going to take advantage of the activities here. My husband and I love The Villages and all the activities and sports, so all the monthly fees and higher home prices are worth it to us. But it may not be the best place for homebodies on a tight budget.
People living near The Villages of course can come to the squares and restaurants.
Very true ! As a single woman who purchased a home it’s very lonely and I don’t know anyone here the neighbors are all couples and don’t include me. For me it’s too expensive as there are too many people for what they offer and being south of 44 don’t have the access to the downtown without driving and there’s not enough parking. Don’t know how to join anything and decided I need to sell my house so I’m not paying all this money for nothing. The weather most of the year is too hot the allergies here are awful and I get bit by everything. It’s time to leave and it’s my failure for moving here and believing the villages sales person who only wanted a sale and being less than candid.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniak4@gmail.com View Post
The beauty of The Villages is that you have the opportunity to live whatever life style you want, active or couch potato, but opportunities are here if and when you want them.
It depends on where you live and your neighborhood. The experiences of many south of 44 dont have the easy access to the squares. Going to the store or shopping is a major effort the traffic on 301 is horrendous. If you live by Brownwood Sumter or Spanish springs your experience is very different than the newer developments south of 44 which is somewhat remote.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:24 AM

Id agree with other posters, you can be as active or inactive as you wish in TV. However, one of the major reasons we (and many others) were attracted here was because of all the activities and options available. If your friends really don't wish to take part in most activities in TV, they could consider other communities outside TV. We love the TV lifestyle so it was a slam dunk decision for us but we knew we could have had less traffic and more house elsewhere. Have they tried renting in TV? If not, I'd suggest a couple months (not just one) might be a good next step before buying. They might find themselves getting more involved than they anticipate.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
The Sunday Times used to say you don't need to read it all but it's nice to know it's all here.
Perfect answer which describes why we're here. We are half active and half homebody enough that aside from missing pickleball and the occasional dinner out, we didn't mind the lockdown so much. We could still walk.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:41 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,201 Times in 463 Posts

I think the real estate in the villages is higher because of access to all these activities. If you do not plan to use any of them, you can purchase a lower priced house outside the villages.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:19 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

I like to be active a couple hours in the morning, and go to the square a few times a week. Otherwise very much a homebody. The only thing about that is thinking I may not be getting my money's worth from the amenities fee, even though they are not too bad. I may get into golf one day...
Old 06-22-2021, 05:36 PM
Default Activity level . . . .

I golf 5-days a week, wife 4, she plays Mahjong on Thursday nights and I play poker. She bowls Friday nights and we dinner out afterwards with fellow bowlers, we go to the American Legion on Tuesday nights and sometimes twice a week. After golf we lunch, dinner or have snacks & beer with our playing partners depending on the day & group, we belong to The Belle Aire Social Club and attend the Monthly activity meetings, we and our neighbors hold a monthly cul-de-sac party, we have or attend a few parties, get together’s or special occasions each month and frequently attend the live performance shows here in TV. We also go on “off-campus” adventures for a variety of activities with friends and neighbors. Throw in an occasional trip to the square, evenings watching the sun set with friends & wine and we’re usually home by 9:00pm (Village midnight).

Five years now and it has never gotten old or slowed down. . . . . sitting on the couch has killed more people than anything else here in TV, including COVID!
Old 06-22-2021, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post
I have a friend who is considering moving to TV. I've answered a lot of his questions the best I can, but he asked me one that I realized I'm not really sure about. So I'm gonna ask it here. I've been here a few years and I'm reasonably active. But I hadn't really thought about how my activity level compares to others. And that is what my friend's question relates to.

He wants to know if people who are relative home-bodies have a place in TV.
I moved here in 2019 and immediately took a part time job. I wasn't ready to "not work" anymore, and the money covered the grocery bill, which was useful since hubby didn't start getting social security til this month and we were on a budget.

Late last year though, I realized standing up for a living was not good for bursitis of the hip, and so I quit.

Since then, I've become a volunteer for a group that gives dementia caregivers a couple hours off every week.

I also walk a lot, which is mostly a solo thing. I also ride my bicycle on occasion, which I prefer to do alone. That's my "zen" activity, and having to keep up with other people would just interfere with my enjoyment of it.

Our neighborhood is very "neighborly" and often we find ourselves on each other's driveways or patios, just hanging out for an hour, in addition to occasional driveway parties.

We also go to the squares to dance from time to time, and have family living in the area or owning a home nearby and coming down to visit often.

Lastly, I enjoy archery, though I haven't been to the range in awhile. I do have a bow and quiver full of arrows and plan on returning to the sport soon.

Other than that, I'm mostly a homebody. I don't watch TV but I do spend a lot of time on the computer, on staff of a game that a couple hundred people play on the internet.
Closed Thread

Tags
folks, active, villages, friends, activity

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.