To everyone who displays an American Flag.

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Default To everyone who displays an American Flag.

Today is National Pearl Harbor Day. It commemorates the day that Japan attacked the US killing 2,403 Americans and injured 1,178 Americans. It is also the day that the US declared war on Japan. All American flags should be at half-staff today until sundown.

As I was out shopping this morning, the only flag on private property that I saw at half-staff was mine. I also noticed that flags at some gatehouses were not at half-staff.

As a US citizen and a veteran, I was disgusted. Especially the resident who was also flying a military flag under their American flag at full staff. At first, I thought that they may have gone north but they were in their yard.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
Today is National Pearl Harbor Day. It commemorates the day that Japan attacked the US killing 2,403 Americans and injured 1,178 Americans. It is also the day that the US declared war on Japan. All American flags should be at half-staff today until sundown.

As I was out shopping this morning, the only flag on private property that I saw at half-staff was mine. I also noticed that flags at some gatehouses were not at half-staff.

As a US citizen and a veteran, I was disgusted. Especially the resident who was also flying a military flag under their American flag at full staff. At first, I thought that they may have gone north but they were in their yard.

Please don't be disgusted, Ralphie.

I am glad that people fly the flag. But I understand that there are rules and decorum about flying Old Glory.

I will put ours out. I had forgotten about today.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:09 PM
Platinum member

Hey Ralphy,

Not everyone has a flag pole that allows them to fly the flag at half staff. Just be glad that there are a lot of us who fly the flag every day. I also have placed flags along my property line. Don't be in a rush to judgement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:

No it was Dec.8th. that Congress declared war. But that's ok.... I'm not disgusted with you.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Hey Ralphy,

Not everyone has a flag pole that allows them to fly the flag at half staff. Just be glad that there are a lot of us who fly the flag every day. I also have placed flags along my property line. Don't be in a rush to judgement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:

You are absolutely right and i am pleased you spoke out

the "me"generations from 1960 to present too often forget or ignore the sacrifices of honorable men and women
Old 12-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,318 Times in 384 Posts

Amazing the level of faux patriotism here in TV.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Amazing the level of faux patriotism here in TV.

It makes them feel patriotic, let it be. Flag waving has been a American tradition since forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,318 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
It makes them feel patriotic, let it be. Flag waving has been a American tradition since forever.

True...makes them feel good. Wonder if they ever volunteered at a VA hospital...hmmmm
Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
True...makes them feel good. Wonder if they ever volunteered at a VA hospital...hmmmm

Well, my mother did for 40 years. She was a WWII veteran and flew her flag on our front lawn every day from 1950 to 1989, when she died. Before the new flag regs, she lowered it at dusk and rose it at dawn. Took it off when it rained and put it back up when it stopped. It made her feel better that she was doing for her country while not serving actively. She did volunteer work at the St. Albans VA center every week for more than 30 years. She was patriotic as well as a patriot.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
the "me"generations from 1960 to present too often forget or ignore the sacrifices of honorable men and women
Old 12-07-2017, 10:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Well, there were 28 years of military service in our family and flying the flag is an honor and a priveledge. Alas, our flag carrier doesn’t allow half-mast. Proud American am I....please don’t try to minimize that....for me and others.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:49 AM

Only thing you have to remember about the flag is:

Respect what it stands for

Last edited by Plowboy; 12-08-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Miffed? Maybe

Peeved? Perhaps

Upset? Undoubtedly

but disgusted?
Old 12-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Default I stand corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
No it was Dec.8th. that Congress declared war. But that's ok.... I'm not disgusted with you.
I stand corrected. I miss read the Presidents proclamation that did say, “The day after the attack Pres. Franklin D Roosevelt declared war on the Empire of Japan”.
Closed Thread

Tags
flag, day, half-staff, american, americans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.