To everyone who displays an American Flag.

To everyone who displays an American Flag.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
To everyone who displays an American Flag.
  #1  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Ralphy Ralphy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 129
Default To everyone who displays an American Flag.

Today is National Pearl Harbor Day. It commemorates the day that Japan attacked the US killing 2,403 Americans and injured 1,178 Americans. It is also the day that the US declared war on Japan. All American flags should be at half-staff today until sundown.

As I was out shopping this morning, the only flag on private property that I saw at half-staff was mine. I also noticed that flags at some gatehouses were not at half-staff.

As a US citizen and a veteran, I was disgusted. Especially the resident who was also flying a military flag under their American flag at full staff. At first, I thought that they may have gone north but they were in their yard.

  #2  
Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 36,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
Today is National Pearl Harbor Day. It commemorates the day that Japan attacked the US killing 2,403 Americans and injured 1,178 Americans. It is also the day that the US declared war on Japan. All American flags should be at half-staff today until sundown.

As I was out shopping this morning, the only flag on private property that I saw at half-staff was mine. I also noticed that flags at some gatehouses were not at half-staff.

As a US citizen and a veteran, I was disgusted. Especially the resident who was also flying a military flag under their American flag at full staff. At first, I thought that they may have gone north but they were in their yard.

Please don't be disgusted, Ralphie.

I am glad that people fly the flag. But I understand that there are rules and decorum about flying Old Glory.

I will put ours out. I had forgotten about today.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:09 PM
golf2140 golf2140 is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bonita
Posts: 1,845
Default

Hey Ralphy,

Not everyone has a flag pole that allows them to fly the flag at half staff. Just be glad that there are a lot of us who fly the flag every day. I also have placed flags along my property line. Don't be in a rush to judgement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Villager from 2000 until they take me out in a small box!!!
  #4  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:11 PM
CWGUY's Avatar
CWGUY CWGUY is offline
Soaring Eagle member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
Today is National Pearl Harbor Day. It commemorates the day that Japan attacked the US killing 2,403 Americans and injured 1,178 Americans. It is also the day that the US declared war on Japan. All American flags should be at half-staff today until sundown.

As I was out shopping this morning, the only flag on private property that I saw at half-staff was mine. I also noticed that flags at some gatehouses were not at half-staff.

As a US citizen and a veteran, I was disgusted. Especially the resident who was also flying a military flag under their American flag at full staff. At first, I thought that they may have gone north but they were in their yard.
No it was Dec.8th. that Congress declared war. But that's ok.... I'm not disgusted with you.
__________________
__________________________________________________
Trying To Understand Some People Is Like Trying To Smell The Color 9
  #5  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:12 PM
CWGUY's Avatar
CWGUY CWGUY is offline
Soaring Eagle member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Hey Ralphy,

Not everyone has a flag pole that allows them to fly the flag at half staff. Just be glad that there are a lot of us who fly the flag every day. I also have placed flags along my property line. Don't be in a rush to judgement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
__________________________________________________
Trying To Understand Some People Is Like Trying To Smell The Color 9
  #6  
Old 12-07-2017, 05:01 PM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
Today is National Pearl Harbor Day. It commemorates the day that Japan attacked the US killing 2,403 Americans and injured 1,178 Americans. It is also the day that the US declared war on Japan. All American flags should be at half-staff today until sundown.

As I was out shopping this morning, the only flag on private property that I saw at half-staff was mine. I also noticed that flags at some gatehouses were not at half-staff.

As a US citizen and a veteran, I was disgusted. Especially the resident who was also flying a military flag under their American flag at full staff. At first, I thought that they may have gone north but they were in their yard.
You are absolutely right and i am pleased you spoke out

the "me"generations from 1960 to present too often forget or ignore the sacrifices of honorable men and women
  #7  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Gpsma Gpsma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 406
Default

Amazing the level of faux patriotism here in TV.
  #8  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Wiotte Wiotte is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: TV
Posts: 5,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Amazing the level of faux patriotism here in TV.


It makes them feel patriotic, let it be. Flag waving has been a American tradition since forever.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #9  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Gpsma Gpsma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
It makes them feel patriotic, let it be. Flag waving has been a American tradition since forever.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True...makes them feel good. Wonder if they ever volunteered at a VA hospital...hmmmm
  #10  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Wiotte Wiotte is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: TV
Posts: 5,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
True...makes them feel good. Wonder if they ever volunteered at a VA hospital...hmmmm


Well, my mother did for 40 years. She was a WWII veteran and flew her flag on our front lawn every day from 1950 to 1989, when she died. Before the new flag regs, she lowered it at dusk and rose it at dawn. Took it off when it rained and put it back up when it stopped. It made her feel better that she was doing for her country while not serving actively. She did volunteer work at the St. Albans VA center every week for more than 30 years. She was patriotic as well as a patriot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
flag, day, half-staff, american, americans

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.