the Ex-Lopey Legacy

Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Default the Ex-Lopey Legacy

I heard today that Nancy Lopez has taken her name off the golf course and resturant and even sold her house here. Seems for the last 2 years, Lopez has been complaining about the poor shape of the course and other maintenance items. Too bade, guess the PTB will have to change the commercials with her in it now.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Send a message via AIM to rballruss Send a message via Yahoo to rballruss
Default Re: the Ex-Lopey Legacy

Wow!!!! That's a new one! Or is this a rumor? She doesn't own her home here. It is owned by TV! This I happen to know for a fact. But, hadn't heard about the course.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

Russ, She doesn't own the home? The CD and the commercials sure would lead you to believe she did. Slick marketing. I played Lopez a while back and was surprised at the condition. We have a worse drought in Georgia and it's been with us for years but the courses look a lot better.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Veteran member

Nancy Lopez has been coming here for years and always stays in the home they say is "her home in the Villages". She has an AIM tournament here each year and she and her husband both stay before, through and after the tournament.

I have heard nothing about a change in the name etc. and my husband played at Lopez today.

For a fact, none of the restaurants in the "country clubs" are owned by the Villages anymore. They are all privately owned having been sold by the developer over the years. A guy from Maryland bought Tierra del Sol a year or so ago. Orange Blossom is also owned by a former manager of a Village run place.

I will believe Nancy has requested her name be removed from the course when I see it in print. Her name was bought and paid for just as Arnold Palmers was and he never owned a home here. These folks sell their names for a lot of money and as far as I know, Palmer came back only last year for the Shoot your Age tournament along with GaryPlayer.

Guys, it's all about the money!!! Get real!!! :edit:
Old 09-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Sage

Belated Happy Birthday to Franny (still a cutie from 13 to 39 +/-)
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Veteran member

Thanks Chuckinca! Didn't realize that I had posted a caption. Actually that photo was taken in July on my 64th birthday....only a mere 51 years since the other photo had been taken!!!!! :redface:
Old 09-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

Fran, I believe I have a picture of a relative or friend that looks just like your childhood picture. Happy Birthday! As far as Nancy Lopez is concerned, after my earlier post, it occurred to me that I hadn't seen a Villages commercial for some time, and I thought it's probably because they're not getting much return on the advertising bucks. Most new buyers have a house to sell first, so no sale on the current, home, no new home in TV. Anyhow, today, I'm watching Tiger clean up the course and lo and behold a new Villages commercial with Nancy and Arnie starring in it, just like old times.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:32 PM

We saw TV commercial, too, jj ... we see them all the time. Go Tiger! ;D
Old 09-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Veteran member

Exactly where did you here than Nancy Lopez is taking her name off of the course and restaurant?
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 09-16-2007, 07:35 PM

Hi guys, I heard it from a guy who'se frfiends lives next door to the home shared by Nancy and Ray. But wsho knows, probably just a rumour.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

ITS JUST A RUMOR , NANCY'S NAME AND THAT OF HER KIDS HAS ALL BEEN BOUGHT AND PAID FOR AS IS THE NAME ON THE RESTUARANT, SHE HAS NO SAY IN THE CONDITION OF THE COURSE......SHE HAS A TOURNAMENT AGREEMENT AND SHE ALSO HOLDS SEMINARS HERE...PLUS SHE JUST HAPPENS TO BE ONE OF THE NEATEST PERSONS YOU'LL EVER WANT TO MEET ....WHEN THEY ARE HERE RAY KNIGHT GIVE BATTING LESSONS AND PLAYS BALL WITH THE GUYS ...THEY MAY BE CELEBS BUT THERE NICE PEOPLE.......
Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 AM
Send a message via AIM to rballruss Send a message via Yahoo to rballruss

Well said, Fumar! I've taken her 3-day golf clinic and have nothing but the highest regard for her. (Even though she laughed at me when I said I was going to play on the Senior Pro Tour in 5 years.) HA!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Sage

One of my fears about moving to TV would be meeting Nancy and Ray. I'm sure that they are great people but I'm a Red Sox fan and i still remember 1986 like it was yesterday. Any you know who scored the winning run in that (in)famous 6th game - yep Ray Knight!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
One of my fears about moving to TV would be meeting Nancy and Ray. I'm sure that they are great people but I'm a Red Sox fan and i still remember 1986 like it was yesterday. Any you know who scored the winning run in that (in)famous 6th game - yep Ray Knight!
I thought Bill Buckner scored that run..... ;D
Old 09-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Hard To Understand That Course Condition Is Different From...

...any and all of the other Villages golf courses. Greens keeping and maintenance is done by the same contract firm on all the courses. If Lopez Legacy isn't up to par, what about all the rest? I sure haven't heard any complaints.

I can say this with absolute certainty...my neighbor is the Director of Golf at Lopez Legacy and if long hours and lots of effort are any measure, I'd find it hard to believe that Lopez Legacy is coming up short. I've never seen anyone work any harder or exhibit more concern.

By the way, Nancy Lopez's golf schools always sell out early and get rave reviews for the personal attention she gives the students. If she's somehow gotten upset about something here in TV, it sure didn't reflect in her attitude and interest exhibited in her school this spring.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.