Excellent 8 4.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2019, 09:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
My lady friends tell me it's disconcerting for 3 females to get stuck with an add-on male.
Believe me, I understand!

In Virginia, I always played with other men, but one day we only had three players and a young lady asked to join us. We thought she would slow us down, but she played pretty well and on the last hole had a tricky 4-foot breaking putt for a par.

She said, "If I sink this putt, I will break 90 for the first time. If one of you guys will help me, I will give you the best sex you ever had."

I said, "Sure, I'll help. It's a gimmie".

Of course, there is more to this story, but you guys probably don't care to hear the rest.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,636 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post

In Virginia, I always played with other men, but one day we only had three players and a young lady asked to join us. We thought she would slow us down, but she played pretty well and on the last hole had a tricky 4-foot breaking putt for a par.

She said, "If I sink this putt, I will break 90 for the first time. If one of you guys will help me, I will give you the best sex you ever had."

Of course, there is more to this story, but you guys probably don't care to hear the rest.
You can PM me the rest of the details.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post

You were very wise. My mate played with the same lady, but made her putt out. She missed!
Old 03-26-2019, 06:16 PM

Between 466 and 466A they installed 16 executive courses and in that area they are located every where.
Between 466A and 44 they installed 7 executive courses. All 7 located in 2 areas both close to 466A.
Maybe this supply and demand situation is part of the problem.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Some of us who have been around for more than 15 years have seen the deterioration.
We have had weather issues over the years....golf courses did not look like they do today.
We have had busy and busier seasons in recent years.....take a look at some public courses here or back home....heavy seasonal play....well maintained approaches and greens.

We are not complaining about having the course be comparable to private, high(er) greens fee clubs. We are comparing today with what used to be.

There is absolutely no doubt the courses are much, MUCH worse than previous years. Little or no doubt about the falling off of the amount and quality of maintenance.
As billethkid points out, people who have been here for years have noticed a significant decline in the course quality over time. I have only been frequenting the courses for 5 years and have never seen conditions as bad as this year (executive courses), not just within the Villages, but anywhere. The problem for me is the greens. Other poor conditions on executive courses don't matter much. Since you are hitting off T,s, T box conditions are more for looks. If sand traps are not raked we simply rake and place our balls. But you can not compensate for poor greens.

On a positive note, the new greens at Tierra Del Sol are beautiful. If this new hybrid grass technology can eventually be put into all greens throughout the Villages golf courses, things will improve dramatically. That will take years, but be well worth the effort and expense in my opinion. I guess tIme will tell.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I always figured places that have no "off season" would have the worst wear and tear on their golf courses. Golf courses that never close for a couple of months every year don't get that time of rest and natural regeneration. Farmers all know that you need two sections of the same crop. And every year, you "fallow" one section to give it time to replenish the soil. You alternate between seasons. Obviously you can't close down every golf course for three months at the same time. But perhaps a rotation is possible. So at any given time, a few out of the 40 executive courses would be closed for a couple of weeks, with none of the closed ones too close to the others, so that everyone who is inconvenienced by "their" course being closed, would still be fairly close to the next one over.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I always figured places that have no "off season" would have the worst wear and tear on their golf courses. Golf courses that never close for a couple of months every year don't get that time of rest and natural regeneration. Farmers all know that you need two sections of the same crop. And every year, you "fallow" one section to give it time to replenish the soil. You alternate between seasons. Obviously you can't close down every golf course for three months at the same time. But perhaps a rotation is possible. So at any given time, a few out of the 40 executive courses would be closed for a couple of weeks, with none of the closed ones too close to the others, so that everyone who is inconvenienced by "their" course being closed, would still be fairly close to the next one over.
They already do that over the summer every year. The close a few executive courses for a week or two so all get some rest and more extensive maintenance can be done.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Here 8 yrs. 1500+ rounds on Execs for me. Always rake and fix ball marks. Maintenance has deteriorated significantly since we played our first round here as anyone who plays here can clearly see. Maintenance personnel are completely ignorant and poorly trained (or supervised) Ambassadors need to be empowered to confront golfers who don't rake, don't fix ball marks, drive in areas where they are doing damage, and severely retard play (can be done politely). There, I said it and I am glad--Hmmmmmmmmmm!
Old 03-31-2019, 07:39 AM

Couldn’t agree more.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
It's not the Ambassador's job to police the course.
Steve

Last edited by Shbullet; 03-31-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:38 AM

I read all the complaints of everyone concerning the conditions of the golf courses. First of all if we are living in the Villages we are retired; we are not on the Professional Golf Tour but are sounding like them. Yes the courses may not be pristine like the Pro courses but this is also the busy season and the dry season. Right now if you were up North you won't be playing any golf.

I am not saying that we shouldn't tell management of our concern. We should but we should also think of the alternative.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:19 AM
Veteran member

You still have to tee it up and hit a decent shot. The greens and traps may not be in the best shape all the time, but it sure does beat shoveling snow. Inexpensive winter golf, difficult to find in Florida. But yes, could be better.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymac1127 View Post
I read all the complaints of everyone concerning the conditions of the golf courses. First of all if we are living in the Villages we are retired; we are not on the Professional Golf Tour but are sounding like them. Yes the courses may not be pristine like the Pro courses but this is also the busy season and the dry season.
I agree, it is the busy season and the dry season.
Executive golf courses are constantly used from dawn to dusk.
I think they are definitely showing wear, but the staff try to keep them in good condition.
Some courses have been closed for reseeding, and golfers complain about that also.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

The exec's are..."free golf for life."

Where's the incentive...to make them even 'average?'

The fact that the "championship" course are not free, and in fact are not even really a "value" compared to other course nearby (even with a priority membership)...is what makes me wonder why they're not in better condition?
Old 03-31-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
The exec's are..."free golf for life."

Where's the incentive...to make them even 'average?'

The fact that the "championship" course are not free, and in fact are not even really a "value" compared to other course nearby (even with a priority membership)...is what makes me wonder why they're not in better condition?
I would say you answered that perfectly in your 2nd sentence
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, executive, maintenance, golf, courses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.