View Poll Results: What do you think about Executive Course Maintenance
Poor 112 56.00%
Fair 53 26.50%
Better than Fair 27 13.50%
Excellent 8 4.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2019, 03:16 PM

Sweet Gum has been closed for a month. There is a constant stream of trucks and workers around all day.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,636 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post

I hear a lot of complaints from the crew I play the Championship courses with. No grass in the chipping areas, fairways are sparse. I suggest "preferred lies" everywhere, and quit the bellyaching. Pretty much, they'd rather bellyache.

So you are pretty happy to accept crappy maintanance, sub standard conditions, pay $40-$60 bucks a round, play prefered lies, rather than "bellyache?"
Do me a favor!!
Yes. Exactly. I didn't get a Priority Membership this year because I wasn't sure how much golf I'd get to play, (I'm rehabbing an injury) so I've been paying 56-64 bucks.

Would I love to have better conditions? sure. But given the play, the cost, the time of year, and my options, I'm fine with it.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:30 PM

The absolute worse conditions I've ever seen since coming to TV in 2007. Time for me to put my retirement dream on the market... your future is what you see now for many years to come. Next will be the Championship courses and amenity fees raised to pay for sub par grass cutters. Enjoy
Old 03-19-2019, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
winter, very little rain, over playing the courses...every winter we hear the same gripes...every summer they come back and are in superb condition in august/september/october....cutting back the brush doesn't make pelican any easier except that you can see your target. Anyone who feels otherwise is sadly mistaken. You want outstanding playing conditions all the time...join a private club at $25k/yr with a green fee of around $60.

It always helps to ignore most complainers due to their lack of facts...sometimes it's hard not to answer...
Boom 💥. Excellent post.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

I guess The Villages should close down those courses where the greens need repair to fix the issues. Tee times will be harder to get than they are now. No one will complain about that... right?
Sweetgum is closed indefinitely. They just worked on Mangrove. Personally, I've found availability on Exec. courses to be the worst I've seen since moving here. I just looked at tomorrow's availability on courses south of Lake Sumter (excluding Fenney). There isn't a single open tee time early in the morning... the first tee times I could find for 2 people are after 5:00 pm. I think maintenance is on the course during the day because there isn't any open time to work on the course. I also think there will be an uproar by residents if they restrict play time to try to fix the issue.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:22 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I guess The Villages should close down those courses where the greens need repair to fix the issues. Tee times will be harder to get than they are now. No one will complain about that... right?
Sweetgum is closed indefinitely. They just worked on Mangrove. Personally, I've found availability on Exec. courses to be the worst I've seen since moving here. I just looked at tomorrow's availability on courses south of Lake Sumter (excluding Fenney). There isn't a single open tee time early in the morning... the first tee times I could find for 2 people are after 5:00 pm. I think maintenance is on the course during the day because there isn't any open time to work on the course. I also think there will be an uproar by residents if they restrict play time to try to fix the issue.
Just what the heck do you expect requesting a tee time the day before??
Steve
Old 03-19-2019, 08:45 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

I wasn't requesting a tee time. I wanted to see how "slammed" the courses were. They are booked from dawn until 5:30. My point is... people are golfing from sun up until after 5:00. There isn't time for maintenance to work on the courses. IMO there are more people golfing than in past years...
Old 03-19-2019, 08:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I wasn't requesting a tee time. I wanted to see how "slammed" the courses were. They are booked from dawn until 5:30. My point is... people are golfing from sun up until after 5:00. There isn't time for maintenance to work on the courses. IMO there are more people golfing than in past years...
Good point!
Steve
Old 03-19-2019, 09:20 PM

I have not played them this season but I am told that the Exec courses up north (Oakleigh, Briarwood, Amberwood, etc,) are in fine shape. Also Tierra del Sole and Palmer are perfect. I played Redfish Run yesterday and it is an eyesore to The Villages's image. Why are the courses south of 466 in such bad shape? This is a perfect topic for The Daily Sun to run an article and get some straightforward answers from the golf department. It is also my understanding that many people were fired January 1 but I did not read what the changes meant unless I missed it.
Regardless of complaints some courses need to be completely closed as keeping them open will not solve the problem. Time for The Villages to bite the bullet and do the right thing.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownmoose13 View Post
I have not played them this season but I am told that the Exec courses up north (Oakleigh, Briarwood, Amberwood, etc,) are in fine shape. Also Tierra del Sole and Palmer are perfect. I played Redfish Run yesterday and it is an eyesore to The Villages's image. Why are the courses south of 466 in such bad shape? This is a perfect topic for The Daily Sun to run an article and get some straightforward answers from the golf department. It is also my understanding that many people were fired January 1 but I did not read what the changes meant unless I missed it.
Regardless of complaints some courses need to be completely closed as keeping them open will not solve the problem. Time for The Villages to bite the bullet and do the right thing.
Just a thought.
Maybe, just maybe they are keeping all the courses open until the summer months so the rest of the courses don't get overrun with play, and chance putting those in crappy condition also. I say If they intend, and need to close some courses, do it during the summer,....and yes,.....after the snowbirds leave.
Steve
Old 03-20-2019, 08:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,636 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownmoose13 View Post
I think the reason that the courses south of 466 are in worse condition than those north of that is simple demographics. There are lots more golfers south of 466, and the farther south of 466 one is, the longer the cart ride to the northern courses.
I too have scanned the tee times available on the days prior to play after the requested slots have been filled, and there are more times available in the northern-most courses, and of course in Fenney.
I do this because I'm a single male golfer (wife does not golf), and I want some control over who I play with. My lady friends tell me it's disconcerting for 3 females to get stuck with an add-on male.
I don't think it's any coincidence that the hardest courses to find an open slot on are also the ones that seem to have the worst greens.

I don't have a decade of experience, so I can't comment on how much worse the condition is now compared to previous years, or how much more play the courses are getting now vs. then. But it wouldn't be surprising with the growth of TV that the courses are maxing out.

My friends went to play in Fenney, from Largo, and had to pay for a cart. Not a big deal, a few bucks each, but the Fenney players get free carts when they travel, thus encouraging more play north of Fenney.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:40 AM
Default Both sister courses are deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I wish a boycott would work but doubt a significant number of golfers would participate. You know, local golf clubs can establish rules in addition to the USGA Rules fo Golf. For example, The Villages can tell me how to dress, then it ought to be able to require the pin to be pulled during the high season. I played Red Trash, sorry, Fish, today with it's lovely painted greens, and nearly every hole had damage from people using ball pickers. What other controls might The Villages introduce to protect the courses? If they cared. But they probably don't. As I posted before, the new marketing slogan should be "Play Free Golf For Life, but you might hate it."
I played Tarpon boil and red fish and they were both ridiculously trashed. I agree if you can’t bend over and pick your ball up”DONT PLAY!
Pulling the pin shouldn’t even be an issue the Ambassadors should be instructed to enforce it.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I think the reason that the courses south of 466 are in worse condition than those north of that is simple demographics. There are lots more golfers south of 466, and the farther south of 466 one is, the longer the cart ride to the northern courses.
I too have scanned the tee times available on the days prior to play after the requested slots have been filled, and there are more times available in the northern-most courses, and of course in Fenney.
I do this because I'm a single male golfer (wife does not golf), and I want some control over who I play with. My lady friends tell me it's disconcerting for 3 females to get stuck with an add-on male.
I don't think it's any coincidence that the hardest courses to find an open slot on are also the ones that seem to have the worst greens.

I don't have a decade of experience, so I can't comment on how much worse the condition is now compared to previous years, or how much more play the courses are getting now vs. then. But it wouldn't be surprising with the growth of TV that the courses are maxing out.

My friends went to play in Fenney, from Largo, and had to pay for a cart. Not a big deal, a few bucks each, but the Fenney players get free carts when they travel, thus encouraging more play north of Fenney.
The size and growth of TV is not really a factor. The courses are booked almost solid regardless the size of the current or future population.

Same number of players per day at 50,000 or 100,000 population.

The courses are poorly managed and maintained it is just that simple. All one has to do, one time, is see what a properly maintained course looks like........that is just as busy daily.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:52 AM

When are the village owners going to step up and take care of this problem? Very sad
Old 03-20-2019, 09:03 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
I played Tarpon boil and red fish and they were both ridiculously trashed. I agree if you can’t bend over and pick your ball up”DONT PLAY!
Pulling the pin shouldn’t even be an issue the Ambassadors should be instructed to enforce it.
It's not the Ambassador's job to police the course.
Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, executive, maintenance, golf, courses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.