Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shbullet View Post
I would say you answered that perfectly in your 2nd sentence
If our amenity fees are not going toward the executive courses, what happens to all that money...
Old 04-01-2019, 04:40 AM

I totally agree that courses south of 466 are in very bad shape. Since a lot of the golfers that play these courses are not good golfers many do not fix their ball Mark's or pull the pins after putting and are tearing the sides of the cups with the ball retriever on their putter handle. Come on folks we can help the maint people by fixing our damage to the courses.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
If our amenity fees are not going toward the executive courses, what happens to all that money...
Money is going to maintain the pretty flower areas in the median strips and upkeep postal stations. Just to name a couple of factors.

One of the problems with the courses is the fact that management is experimenting with not over seeding the courses. This hasn't been done for the past 2 seasons.

The Administrators that teach the "Good Golf School" (and this should be mandatory in TV) say that there are over THREE MILLION rounds of golf played every year in The Villages. TWO MILLION on the execs and ONE MILLION on the championships. THAT is a lot of wear and tear on any golf course.

My friends an I played Water Oak golf course a couple of weeks ago. That course gets close to the same amount of play as our courses in TV. Fairways are in very good shape and the greens are in excellent condition. For our Beautiful Villages, our courses should be in the same condition.

Oh, and with 3 courses (Redfish Run, Tarpon Boil, and Sweetgum) being closed for repair, should say something about the "DEPLORABLE" conditions of our executive courses.

Last edited by DaleDivine; 04-01-2019 at 05:07 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 04-01-2019, 05:13 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Same poll results as How Many Times will you move in TV.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:20 AM

Some exec courses are better than others. Happy April, let's hope they can catch up now.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:08 AM
Default Executive courses are in poor shape

Worst shape in 5 years
Old 04-01-2019, 06:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
SNIP...>Money is going to maintain the pretty flower areas in the median strips and upkeep postal stations. Just to name a couple of factors.<...SNIP
Exactly.

Since amenity fees are paid by everyone, regardless if one plays free golf or not (or lives here year around for that matter)...the money is obviously spread across many other maintenance projects.

Given the 'captured audience' here and the ability to drive ones cart form their driveway to any of the championship or executive courses, Da Family knows that most of us will pay for the championship courses, regardless of overall course conditions...simply out of convenience.

Given this, the incentive to increase the conditions of the exec's...just isn't there.

While there would probably be a huge outcry and screeching, if Da Family really wanted to...they could change some behavior of those who don't bother taking care of our courses.

Simply start handing out, and keep track of, warnings (using ID cards) and if someone is caught repeatedly not taking care of the courses (not raking bunkers/fixing divots/parking too close/Etc.)...give them a 30 day "timeout."

Yes, this would result in increasing costs for the developer, but maybe in the long run...it reduces overall cost in course maintenance?

Flame suit on.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:14 AM

Played the 18 hole Pitch n Play in Fenney this weekend. They use a imitation grass mat on the tee boxes, EXCELLENT idea. Much easier to tee off, does away with all the divot damage, less maintance needed, and the ambassadors don't have to clean up all the broken tees that are left by Village slobs. Probably should be installed at all the Executive coures. Got to be less expensive in the long run.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:39 AM

Many are a disgrace
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 04-01-2019, 06:48 AM
Default Executive Course Director of golf maintenance

Yesterday I discovered a sign on the Pelican/Heron bulletin board. It said, "Is the course playing up to par? Please pass along any comments about golf course conditions to:

Eric Van Gorder
Director of Executive Golf Maintenance
eric.vangorder@districtgov.org
352-753-3396
Old 04-01-2019, 07:23 AM

Not only are the Executive course in poor condition, both Havana and Bonifay on the 18 hole circuit are also in terrible condition. It’s just a matter of GREED and PROFITS. Two things come to mind, They started the practice of not overseeing with winter rye grass about 3 years ago to save money and maximize their profits. Secondly, there is a general lack of supervision of the several maintenance companies that are responsible for the golf course up keep. Throw in some very dry months and continuous play, it’s a recipe for trouble. That’s my take. Happy golfing"???????
Old 04-01-2019, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogeybobtoo View Post
Not only are the Executive course in poor condition, both Havana and Bonifay on the 18 hole circuit are also in terrible condition. It’s just a matter of GREED and PROFITS. Two things come to mind, They started the practice of not overseeing with winter rye grass about 3 years ago to save money and maximize their profits. Secondly, there is a general lack of supervision of the several maintenance companies that are responsible for the golf course up keep. Throw in some very dry months and continuous play, it’s a recipe for trouble. That’s my take. Happy golfing"???????
Welcome to the Forum.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:50 AM
Location: The Villages, FL; Wayne, NJ; Boca Raton, FL; Oakland, NJ

As always... you get what you pay for!
Old 04-01-2019, 07:50 AM

A major problem with the condition of the grass is that Bermuda grass, the type of grass used in warmer climates does not grow in the cooler temperatures of our winter. Northern grasses would not grow in our summer. Overseeding is done generally with rye grass which would grow in our winter, but then dies out in the warming temperatures of our summer. I believe I read where recent studies have shown that overseeing negatively impacts the return of the Bermuda grass when temperatures warm back up in the spring and summer; I don't remember where I read that.

Thus, heavy play, dry conditions, and Bermuda grass do not allow the greens to recover during the cooler winter months. IF and that is a BIG IF overseeing makes the greens play better and look better in the winter, but have a negative effect on the Bermuda for summer, the decision makers have to decide which is better for the long run.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:51 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,307 Times in 541 Posts

Perhaps next year they will find money to do something different. Obviously the “experiment” of not overseeding (especially the greens) did not work very well. I don’t believe water had anything to do with the shape of the greens or tee boxes as we went into the winter with the retention ponds pretty much to capacity. Fore!

Tags
villages, executive, maintenance, golf, courses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.