Executive Courses 6" Diameter Cups

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2014, 12:45 PM

Adding a six inch hole will slow play even more. Many will then putt out both holes on the green.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Send a message via AIM to jim1941

Hockey….make the goal bigger for more scoring

Basketball….raise the basket to eliminate dunks

Baseball….bring the fences in so there will be more home runs

Football…..you only need five yards to get a first down

Golf……make the hole bigger

I can't believe that The Villages is gullible enough to try this experiment and ruin golf as we know it.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

Really??? ...And how about some windmills, gates, & tunnels, etc. just to make it more entertaining?
Old 05-03-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
what a gr8 idea,make it easier for all, more people would play and have a much better attitude,more hole in ones...this is fabulous,all courses should be done that way...
Oh, boy! Why not have an Ambassador at each green and give everyone coming off a Gold Star so everyone can feel good. Yaaa. Go Team!
Old 05-03-2014, 01:49 PM

Seems like a few are cranky about this. I've played for golf for 48 years down to a 4 handicap in the past. I play the ball down and follow all the rules. I will play the regulation hole. But my wife who let me play all those years is a novice. I'm sure she will enjoy playing with the larger hole. I appreciate the Villages giving it a try on some of the executive courses.

If you don't like it don't play on the courses that have it. I think there are plenty of courses to play. I'm betting a lot will find it fun. Fun is why we moved to the Villages.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
This seems like just another effort at DUMBING DOWN America! If it is difficult, just lower the bar.
It is now politically correct to be incompetent.
This is it, exactly.

Today, JFK would be told not to put forth any ideas of landing a man on the moon....too difficult.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:04 PM

Let's get rid of all the water and sand traps.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Gold member

I guess you would have to "call your shot" on the tee box, and tough luck if you call one hole and "ace" the other.

I've played many courses with two cups per green. Most of them were nine hole courses that also had two teeing locations so the nines could be played twice as an eighteen hole layout. Some holes were par four on one nine and par five on the other. Different colored flags for each nine. Also the Old Course at St Andrews has seven double greens, so it is an old concept. Larger holes is not an old concept, and this iteration is a marketing ploy by Taylor Made to boost interest and therefore sales.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

I am new to golf (2 years) and enjoy the game very much. It can be frustrating as well as getting the best feeling in the world when you hit that great tee shot or sink that long putt, etc. so I am on the fence as far as offering an opinion on this matter.

Golf is a hard game to master, and takes a long time to develop the skill set to make it enjoyable, so the idea to make the game a little easier for the novices is a step in the right direction.

Maybe enlarging the holes to 6 inches on all the Level 1 courses here would be a great idea. The novices can start off and have an enjoyable experience, and the more experienced golfers can still have their regulation courses. Just a thought
Old 05-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

We had a course up north that did the two hole green experiment. One regulation hole and a six inch hole. I found the six inch hole fun. I am a decent golfer tee to green but mediocre putter. I quit the game once for years because of my frustration with putting. Any way the two hole did have a problem with the holes getting in the way of each other. Actually I was surprised how often it seemed to happen. As for the purist play the game as intended argument - why do we have five sets of tees? It's OK to compensate for the long game but not the short game? Another point - have you seen the difference in gimmees between sets of golfers.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

Executive golf is real golf as all the rules of golf apply.
The idea of using the big holes on the beginner, 1 rated, courses is not a bad idea.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:54 PM

Geez, really. I mean, the REAL problem is far too many golfers wanting to play CHEAP golf! Hard to say if having a larger hole will speed things up. After all, if everyone was conscious of their speed (or slowness) of play I think there would be some improvement or lesser waiting. Given the inevitability that nothing much is going to change,then, how do we get to play the game we all love so much, yet improve the quality of play? Basic economics really. Raise the price and the demand diminishes! So, raise the fees across the board until enough "chaff" disappears and the play is normalized. The same revenue can be maintained and fewer players> A perfect solution. Sure, some will be angered that they cant play free anymore, but seriously, if you want to have good courses to play on and good golfing experiences,,"FREE" isn't part of the equation. So, let's get a petition going to raise the fees!!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Platinum member

I like the idea. Especially for stater golfers.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Gold member

r i d i c u l o u s !!!!
Old 05-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinguy View Post
Geez, really. I mean, the REAL problem is far too many golfers wanting to play CHEAP golf! Hard to say if having a larger hole will speed things up. After all, if everyone was conscious of their speed (or slowness) of play I think there would be some improvement or lesser waiting. Given the inevitability that nothing much is going to change,then, how do we get to play the game we all love so much, yet improve the quality of play? Basic economics really. Raise the price and the demand diminishes! So, raise the fees across the board until enough "chaff" disappears and the play is normalized. The same revenue can be maintained and fewer players> A perfect solution. Sure, some will be angered that they cant play free anymore, but seriously, if you want to have good courses to play on and good golfing experiences,,"FREE" isn't part of the equation. So, let's get a petition going to raise the fees!!
That's fine for those that can afford it but many people moved here to be able to better afford to play the game they love and I would bet they're in the majority.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.