Executor of will of Fla.resident

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Default Executor of will of Fla.resident

I am about to draft parameters of my new will as a Florida resident. Could anyone versed in these matters tell me if the Executor has to be a Florida resident. I want someone in another state/US territory. Thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Sage

Don't believe the executor has to be a Florida resident, but you could pose this question to Ashley Hunt in the "Ask the Expert a Legal Question" forum and get the expert answer.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Sage

No, the executor does not have to be a Florida resident. One of my executors lives in New York and the other in California. However, they will probably have to work with a Florida attorney.
And hey, it won't be my problem!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Just went through this.

Executor ("personal representative" in Florida legal speak) can be from any state, BUT if the p.r. lives outside Florida, there must be a bond, paid for out of the estate, thereby reducing its final amount. In our case, the out-of-state p.r. dropped out in favor of an in-state person (me).

Bottom line was we didn't even find out how much the bond had to be, but I believe I read it has to equal the estimated value of the estate.

Using a Florida lawyer is a good idea; I don't know if it's required.

A Florida wills and trusts attorney can explain this better and in detail.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cateca View Post
I am about to draft parameters of my new will as a Florida resident. Could anyone versed in these matters tell me if the Executor has to be a Florida resident. I want someone in another state/US territory. Thanks
You can post in our 'Ask an expert a Legal Question' and our resident attorney can assist you with your question if you like.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you should also look into the use of a living trust that will pass your assets at your death and reduce probate costs. The trust is not designed to reduce taxes, just the problems of settling an estate.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.