Exhaust kitchen microwave

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2021, 04:30 PM
Default Exhaust kitchen microwave

I would like to exhaust the kitchen microwave in a Villa to the outside through the roof. Is an ARC approval or permit required? I would like a recommendation for a great installer.
Has anyone done this?

Bob Blong
Old 04-11-2021, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,700 Times in 5,236 Posts

I probably wouldn't bother with ARC approval. But, it would be better if you can exhaust it to the nearest exterior wall instead of through the roof.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I probably wouldn't bother with ARC approval. But, it would be better if you can exhaust it to the nearest exterior wall instead of through the roof.
As with all exhaust vents, the less bends the less loss of draft and places for grease accumulation. Since you are making a change to the exterior of the house a phone call for clarification would give you the ARC answer. Might also want to talk to the County since I understand Florida has some restrictions around installation of vents and who can be permitted to do the work. We are having the same conversation since we are going to install a range hood and vent, most likely through the roof.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-11-2021, 07:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensacolaBob View Post
I would like to exhaust the kitchen microwave in a Villa to the outside through the roof. Is an ARC approval or permit required? I would like a recommendation for a great installer.
Has anyone done this?
During construction it was learned that I was unable to vent through the wall or roof. My fan (hood) is in recirc mode. Means changing a charcoal filter every few months.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,700 Times in 5,236 Posts

If you are going to spend the money to install a duct and cut a hole in the roof, I don't think it will provide enough benefit to just reroute the air from a microwave fan. I would install a real exhaust hood and fan and do it correctly. Otherwise, I think you are wasting your money. My opinion.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

OP, if your house is less than 10 years old, you can get the plans from Sumter County building department. These will note if there was a vent installed, the reason I point this out is that I have seen reports of MW being installed WITHOUT removing the panel to use the vent. Also a good handyman should be able to go in the attic and confirm the existence of the vent if you cannot see it from the ground.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:56 AM
Veteran member

A lot of microwaves are self venting with foam and wire insert filters
Old 04-12-2021, 06:20 AM
Default Exhaust hood vented through roof

We had a recent kitchen renovation and had a strong exhaust hood installed through the roof and exhausted out. Our contractor company checked and it did not require ARC approval. My husband loves to cook, especially wok cooking, and the stronger exhaust fan is great! Message me if u need more info.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:45 AM

Don’t waste your time and money...all new microwaves have the option to vent to the exterior or vent into the kitchen.....I can’t remember the last time I had one that vented to the exterior.....no issues.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:03 AM

Must get approval
Old 04-12-2021, 07:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy5912554@gmail.com View Post
Don’t waste your time and money...all new microwaves have the option to vent to the exterior or vent into the kitchen.....I can’t remember the last time I had one that vented to the exterior.....no issues.
I believe all kitchens should have range hoods that vent to the outside, whether through a side wall or a roof. And these days, they should be ultra quiet. (Though even ultra quiet fans make plenty of noise from air being sucked out.) These are much more powerful than bathroom exhaust fans. I think 300 cubic feet per minute is average, and bigger is required for big gas stoves. My house does not yet have a range hood. The microwave oven is over the stove, and it simply blows hot humid air out into the kitchen. What is worse, the smell from whatever is cooking permeates the entire house. Broccoli! Asparagus! Beans! Meat! All good tastes, but I don’t want those smells all over the house. A good range hood with an in-line fan in the attic keeps the kitchen much cooler and less humid. If you have to slave over a hot stove, you deserve for it to be as bearable as possible. I do have a ceiling fan in the kitchen, and that helps with the heat.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:51 AM

when I replaced our microwave we found the contractor had installed the original without removing the cover on the microwave it comes with so that it could exhaust thru the vent installed. we did remove the cover on the new one and the difference was amazing. check the installation of yours prior to doing anything else,just a suggestion.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:04 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by doecats View Post
when I replaced our microwave we found the contractor had installed the original without removing the cover on the microwave it comes with so that it could exhaust thru the vent installed. we did remove the cover on the new one and the difference was amazing. check the installation of yours prior to doing anything else, just a suggestion.
You can also turn it on, then check to see if there is airflow from the vent outside the home.

The 'ventless' hoods with all the filters in the world won't stop grease and smoke from permeating the surrounding areas.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:47 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default you said you had a kitchen renovation If I may what did it cost

I am think of by at the villages and before I do can you give me a figure of your cost to renovate your kitchen In my home state the cost is at least $60K how much is it in Florida Thank You joelfmi@aol.com.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:35 AM

I just called the ARC with the same question. We live in a patio villa and were told permission was not needed if we vented thru the roof. If we vent thru the wall permission is needed. We'll see how it goes. Getting an estimate first.
Closed Thread

Tags
kitchen, exhaust, microwave, permit, installer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.