Expanding Lantana Garage

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2020, 01:47 PM
Location: From Colonial Heights, VA- now in Village of Gilchrist 213
Default Expanding Lantana Garage

We are looking at expanding our garage by blowing out the back wall of our golf cart garage and making the back of the garage wider. We will need to relocate the air returns, hot water heater and outside a/c unit to optimize our existing garage space. The goal is to change the golf cart garage into single car garage door and make it deep enough to hold two cars back to back, bass boat (which will extend back into the area where the existing closet holds the air return/hot water tank) and golf cart. No, I don't want to buy a bigger house, no I am not interested in moving. My lot is perfect for adding a pool and now garage big enough for our toys.

Does anyone have any experience in doing this with a Lantana or any other model? Our first option was to build 6 feet forward- unfortunately our site plan does not allow going forward.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMooreRN View Post
We are looking at expanding our garage by blowing out the back wall of our golf cart garage and making the back of the garage wider. We will need to relocate the air returns, hot water heater and outside a/c unit to optimize our existing garage space. The goal is to change the golf cart garage into single car garage door and make it deep enough to hold two cars back to back, bass boat (which will extend back into the area where the existing closet holds the air return/hot water tank) and golf cart. No, I don't want to buy a bigger house, no I am not interested in moving. My lot is perfect for adding a pool and now garage big enough for our toys.

Does anyone have any experience in doing this with a Lantana or any other model? Our first option was to build 6 feet forward- unfortunately our site plan does not allow going forward.
I just looked at a Lilly that the golf cart garage was converted to a extended car garage, for a classic car. You would never know it had been changed from a cart garage. Sadly there is no owner available, because I am thinking of doing the same addition, but I only have to move air conditioning unit
Old 05-26-2020, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

Not to sound like a wise guy , but aren’t there professionals you should be calling
Old 05-26-2020, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Not to sound like a wise guy , but aren’t there professionals you should be calling
I agree, go to the county, get a copy of your existing house plans, you will see the name of the original architect/engineer, then contact them for a preliminary set of plans. You will need to do this for ARC review and bidding process, and for all of the permits that will be required. I would think the A/E should be able to give you a ballpark cost estimate, and then you can determine if it is cost justified.
Good luck with your project.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

So not my home, but we have watched a home on canal that added a large room, large birdcage, with pool. House was blue before, now painted in the tan range. Looks like the house has always been there. D& J is doing the build.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I agree, go to the county, get a copy of your existing house plans, you will see the name of the original architect/engineer, then contact them for a preliminary set of plans. You will need to do this for ARC review and bidding process, and for all of the permits that will be required. I would think the A/E should be able to give you a ballpark cost estimate, and then you can determine if it is cost justified.
Good luck with your project.

We have already hired a contractor who is currently working with the county and architect/engineer and working on estimate. I was curious not of the process to build it but to see if anyone else did this to their Lantana or designer model. A kind person has contacted me personally and has graciously stated we could come take a look at their design. It will definitely be a project and we are adding our pool too!
Old 05-26-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
So not my home, but we have watched a home on canal that added a large room, large birdcage, with pool. House was blue before, now painted in the tan range. Looks like the house has always been there. D& J is doing the build.
Great, I am hoping for addition that works well with the existing plan doesn't look like an add on. Hard to visualize a blue print.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Well, you kinda did sound like a wise guy or you wouldn't have had to state that fact. It is okay, maybe I wasn't clear enough- we have a contractor, county site plan, etc and well aware of the process- just wanted a visual to look at to see how others maybe coordinated a garage addition on a similar model. Thank you.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:34 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyMooreRN View Post
Well, you kinda did sound like a wise guy or you wouldn't have had to state that fact. It is okay, maybe I wasn't clear enough- we have a contractor, county site plan, etc and well aware of the process- just wanted a visual to look at to see how others maybe coordinated a garage addition on a similar model. Thank you.

"The goal is to change the golf cart garage into single car garage door"

how did you install a larger garage door by only "blowing out the back" ??
Old 05-27-2020, 05:06 AM
Veteran member

Why not call a professional?
Old 05-27-2020, 05:40 AM

We are also changing the golf cart garage door to an 8’ door.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:54 AM

May I ask which contractor you are using? I’m not close to pulling the trigger for this type of project but it is on our list in the next few years. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
"The goal is to change the golf cart garage into single car garage door"

how did you install a larger garage door by only "blowing out the back" ??
That was exactly my thought. You beat me to it.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
Why not call a professional?
It always helps to get input from others who have done similar remodels.
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, back, golf, cart, water

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.