Expansion of birdcage

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2021, 08:05 PM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV
Default Expansion of birdcage

I would like to expand my birdcage out about 15 more feet. In some areas outside TV I have seen lucite (?) panels instead of screen on the top part.

Is that done here - I haven't seen it...

And how many different companies do the birdcages and cement pads?

Thanks for comments!
Old 05-13-2021, 09:41 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

How many use glass instead of screen?
Old 05-13-2021, 12:53 PM
Gold member

It's gonna take a pretty big lot to expand 15 feet and still stay within the easements on your property. Of course T&D does birdcages as well as the concrete work. The down side is the lag time to get the job done and the ARC approval you'll to do the job. Good Luck.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 05-13-2021, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

IMHO, your typical bird cage design may not support a solid (glass, Plexiglas, or other) roof for weight or wind loading, these are typically designed for a screen roof (minimum wind load). Please be sure that the installer of the bird cage is aware of your intent. Also as noted above you will need ARC approval, and they will need to be made aware also of the unusual roof. I have not seen any of the roof options I mentioned, but I have seen canvas roof coverings. In both cases, the canvas was installed on a steel frame that was installed on the birdcage. In both cases there appeared to be excessive (my opinion) rusting of the steel due to probable galvanic action with the aluminum. We used Joseph Sweeting LLC several years ago for our project, concrete and birdcage, separate contractors were used to relocate the irrigation lines and install electrical receptacles in the new birdcage before the concrete was poured.

Tags
birdcage, expansion, part, companies, birdcages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.