Explosion Then Covered in Shards of Glass

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2017, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Why would manufacture install glass in freezer? The glass probably had flaw and the cold cycles plus weight over time caused it to fail? My cheap refrigerator side by side has metal grate selves.
Mine has metal drawers.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:08 PM
Gold member

I had a piece blow apart in my Whirlpool. I was cleaning it at the time so it was my fault. I went to Ace hardware and had a piece of plexiglass cut to size and it works great. Measure twice and cut once.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
It boggles the mind how tempered glass can shatter for no apparent reason.

As far as Kitchen Aid not being responsive, call them back and threaten to sue.
Couple years ago I’m sitting in my living room and I hear what sounded like a gunshot upstairs. I run upstairs only to find the glass shower door in the guest bath had literally exploded, glass everywhere. I call the people that installed the glass (3 yrs prior) and they were not surprised. They said it’s tempered so these things happen (???). I called the manufacturer and they said, it’s tempered so these things happen. I go to my local home depot and I’m told, it’s tempered these things happen. Maybe there should be a big sign where they are sold that says, this glass is tempered – explosion possible. The manufacturer did replace without charge and they paid install.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:26 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Wow. Glad you are safe.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:03 PM
Default Google "Exploding Termpered Glass"

This summer, while sleeping, we heard a loud explosion that literally sounded like a gunshot, followed by the sound of shrads of glass flying around. It turned out that our shower wall had exploded for no apparent reason.

I decided to google "exploding tempered glass" and discovered this is a rare problem but it does occur. There were numerous examples of table tops, shower doors, etc exploding for no apparent reason. My understanding is this can occur if a certain manufactoring defect occurs.

Bottom line - tempered glass can explode - not sure I would blame the particular appliance maker.
Closed Thread

Tags
kitchen, freezer, glass, aid, refrigerator/freezer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.