Explosion Then Covered in Shards of Glass

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2017, 09:07 AM
Default Explosion Then Covered in Shards of Glass

Yesterday the top shelf in my Kitchen Aid freezer exploded and sent shards of tempered glass all over me and as far as 10 feet away from the appliance. I had simply opened the freezer and started reaching in when there was a loud explosion and then it rained pieces of tempered glass. Fortunately, none of the glass entered my eyes but it still was terribly frightening.
I contacted Kitchen Aid customer service and requested that they replace the several tempered glass shelves because I'm afraid these other shelves may also explode - they refused. I also contacted TV Warranty Dept to see if they kept a list of homeowners who also have this same refrigerator/freezer so they could be notified of a potentially serious situation. Surprisingly I was told they do not keep such a list.
Since this refrigerator/freezer is just barely 3 years old I'm concerned that others may have potential exploding shelves in their freezer. Because we have a separate free-standing freezer in our garage this Kitchen Aid kitchen appliance freezer is not over-packed - it had just 4 small items on the exploding shelf. Therefore, I'm not sure what I could have done differently to avoid this situation.
So, if you have a 3 year old Kitchen Aid french door refrigerator/freezer but please heed my warning and be cautious.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3415.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	72597  
Old 11-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbinnj View Post
Yesterday the top shelf in my Kitchen Aid freezer exploded and sent shards of tempered glass all over me and as far as 10 feet away from the appliance. I had simply opened the freezer and started reaching in when there was a loud explosion and then it rained pieces of tempered glass. Fortunately, none of the glass entered my eyes but it still was terribly frightening.
I contacted Kitchen Aid customer service and requested that they replace the several tempered glass shelves because I'm afraid these other shelves may also explode - they refused. I also contacted TV Warranty Dept to see if they kept a list of homeowners who also have this same refrigerator/freezer so they could be notified of a potentially serious situation. Surprisingly I was told they do not keep such a list.
Since this refrigerator/freezer is just barely 3 years old I'm concerned that others may have potential exploding shelves in their freezer. Because we have a separate free-standing freezer in our garage this Kitchen Aid kitchen appliance freezer is not over-packed - it had just 4 small items on the exploding shelf. Therefore, I'm not sure what I could have done differently to avoid this situation.
So, if you have a 3 year old Kitchen Aid french door refrigerator/freezer but please heed my warning and be cautious.
It came with your house? Have they started putting in Kitchen Aids? Ours came with a Whirlpool. I thought the developer used Whirlpool exclusively.

But to the issue. I am very glad you weren't hurt. Perhaps you should share the model number with us in case someone has that refrigerator.

shelf shattering in refrigerator - Bing
I googled "refrigerator glass shelf shattering" and got this; Apparently it isn't just one make or model or manufacturer.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-16-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:20 AM

Kitchen Aid appliances (refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher, microwave, cook top, and double wall ovens) came new with our home here in TV barely three years ago. While it may be true that exploding tempered glass could happen with any maker/model I think those with a 3 year old Kitchen Aid french door refrigerator/freezer (model ksf26c4xyy03) should be particularly careful.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:52 AM
Sage

Contact the (federal) consumer products safety commission
Old 11-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
It boggles the mind how tempered glass can shatter for no apparent reason.

As far as Kitchen Aid not being responsive, call them back and threaten to sue.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Sage

Again, use gov't agencies they work for free
Old 11-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

replacement cost for tempered glass shelf in freezer of kitchen aid refrigerator - Bing
Old 11-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It came with your house? Have they started putting in Kitchen Aids? Ours came with a Whirlpool. I thought the developer used Whirlpool exclusively.

But to the issue. I am very glad you weren't hurt. Perhaps you should share the model number with us in case someone has that refrigerator.

shelf shattering in refrigerator - Bing
I googled "refrigerator glass shelf shattering" and got this; Apparently it isn't just one make or model or manufacturer.
I think Kitchen Aid is manufactured by Whirlpool.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
I think Kitchen Aid is manufactured by Whirlpool.

Yes, just a higher end Whirlpool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

When we came here in 2004, all our homes were furnished with GE.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 11-16-2017, 01:52 PM
Veteran member

fyi , anyone who maybe afraid this happening to them can put a layer of tape on the glass .
Old 11-16-2017, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

It must have to do with possible defective glass that does not respond correctly to significant temperature differentials.

Sometimes initiated by the opening of the door or even a slight touch of the warm body.

If not sudden temp differential then there would be instances of such shattering occurring while the compartment is closed.

When talking to Kitchen Aid customer service just ask for supervision or a management representative. The routine call representative is not authorized to make decisions of the sort that may be required.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Had this happen to our glass top up north. Turned on the burner and went to get the pan, top exploded glass flying all the way to the dining table. It was about 15 months old but had been used very little since we traveled so much. Rep replaced with no problem even though out of warranty.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
that is a real concern. you might check to see if there is a safety notice on line.

thankfully you were not injured
Old 11-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Why would manufacture install glass in freezer? The glass probably had flaw and the cold cycles plus weight over time caused it to fail? My cheap refrigerator side by side has metal grate selves.
Closed Thread

Tags
kitchen, freezer, glass, aid, refrigerator/freezer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.