External TV antenna for local channels

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2021, 01:48 PM
Default External TV antenna for local channels

We tried Spectrum and it did not play nice with our Samsung TV. My neighbor uses Hulu plus an external antenna for local channels.

There are two types it seems. An indoor one which is cheaper and has a range of 6 miles, and an outdoor one with longer range but over 3x the cost.

Looking for advice here from those who have tried this.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

I bought one for $12 at Best Buy. I saved a lot of money, but it didn't get any channels at all. I don't think an antenna that has a range of 6 miles will do anything since the nearest broadcast location is Orlando.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have a DB4e mounted in my attic by Tom Grooms at VillagesAV. I pick up about 50 channels from Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
We tried Spectrum and it did not play nice with our Samsung TV. My neighbor uses Hulu plus an external antenna for local channels.

There are two types it seems. An indoor one which is cheaper and has a range of 6 miles, and an outdoor one with longer range but over 3x the cost.

Looking for advice here from those who have tried this.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

I recommend checking with ARC in your area before installing an external antenna, even if neighbors are doing it. Instead, I would recommend an OTA antenna in your attic. We are not far from many TV towers.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

The main Orlando towers are about 60 miles from my house. I have a DB4 in the attic that works pretty good. It will be nice when WESH switches to UHF.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I recommend checking with ARC in your area before installing an external antenna, even if neighbors are doing it. Instead, I would recommend an OTA antenna in your attic. We are not far from many TV towers.
Federal law permits antenna's, local communities can not stop you from putting up an antenna.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:39 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

I also mounted a antenna in my attic. Did it myself but it is a hot job and requires a few hours and the ability to route the cable to your TV. Bit of a job.

I must be oriented to the east. You can go online and get the exact azimuth from your area.

Works fine for me. I get about 30 channels including the networks but many are Spanish language or stuff I never watch. I have Comcast (Xfinity) and a Samsung TV in my living room and use it 99% of the time.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 06-17-2021, 02:41 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Federal law permits antenna's, local communities can not stop you from putting up an antenna.
Yep
Old 06-17-2021, 07:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
This is "sort of true".

From the FCC itself, placement CAN be controlled or restricted. Hence I said, I would check with ARC - to see what restrictions of placement they have.

Q: What restrictions prevent a viewer from receiving an acceptable quality signal? Can a homeowners association or other restricting entity establish enforceable preferences for antenna locations?

A: Enforceable placement preferences must be clearly articulated in writing and made available to all residents of the community in question. A requirement that an antenna is located where the reception would be impossible or substantially degraded is prohibited by the rule. However, a regulation requiring that antennas be placed in a particular location on a house such as a side or the rear might be permissible if this placement does not prevent reception of an acceptable quality signal or impose unreasonable expense or delay. For example, if installing an antenna in the rear of the house costs significantly more than installation on the side of the house, then such a requirement would be prohibited. If, however, installation in the rear of the house does not impose unreasonable expense or delay or preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal, then the restriction is permissible and the viewer must comply.

For DBS antennas, and digital fixed wireless antennas or other digital antennas to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal, the antenna must be installed where it has an unobstructed, direct view of the satellite or other device from which signals are received or to which signals are to be transmitted. Unlike analog antennas, digital antennas, even in the presence of sufficient over-the-air signal strength, will at times provide no picture or sound unless they are placed and oriented properly.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:20 AM

The RCA, Outdoor Yagi on Amazon for $31.56 is a great antenna. From Channel Master, purchase an Amplify Adjustable Gain Preamplifier, Dual mode
$89.00 and you've got a nice system.

Last edited by TheLawnKing; 06-18-2021 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-18-2021, 08:27 AM

I'm wondering why Spectrum didn't play with your Samsung TV? Were you using Spectrum internet only with an app or did you have Spectrum cable?
Old 06-18-2021, 08:30 AM

And also, if you are looking at an antenna, you might want to try Locast first. For $5 or so a month you can use the app ad-free and get the Orlando stations.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Absolutely not necessary. No political entity can interfere with your ability to receive tv signals. That's by federal law.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Absolutely not necessary. No political entity can interfere with your ability to receive tv signals. That's by federal law.
If you go the the FCC page and read the rule ,it's not that cut and dry. Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule | Federal Communications Commission

Although a simple notification process (e.g. post installation) might be permissible, such a process cannot be used as a prior approval requirement and may not delay or increase the cost of installation. The burden is on the association to show that a notification process does not violate our rule.
However, a regulation requiring that antennas be placed in a particular location on a house such as the side or the rear, might be permissible if this placement does not prevent reception of an acceptable quality signal or impose unreasonable expense or delay.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
The main Orlando towers are about 60 miles from my house. I have a DB4 in the attic that works pretty good. It will be nice when WESH switches to UHF.
I had not heard about WESH moving to UHF. This is great news as my antenna in the attic, installed by Tom of Villages AV, has never been able to pick up WESH (NBC). It looks like it is moving to UHF on June 22. So in 4 days, do a rescan and we should be able to get it now!
Closed Thread

Tags
range, external, channels, local, antenna

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.