Fact or Fiction - Attacks at ****?

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 PM
LAVNDR
Default Fact or Fiction - Attacks at ****?

There are a number of stories going around about two attacks on women in the :removed by admin: parking lot at night. Supposed to be fairly recent. Can anyone verify this and if it is true, how can we compel the Villages to warn people. ???

(Administrator's note: I have removed the location name from this post so as to not further rumors. I have removed entire posts about this twice before. If anybody has any conclusive information that you would be willing to stand behind, then please come forth. Otherwise I will remove this post also. Tony)
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts
Default Re: Fact or Fiction - Attacks at ****?

is there not a newspaper story to verify stuff like this?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Veteran member

Easily resolved. Call the local sheriff's office.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I can say that I know the store and I was working there at the time one of the alleged incidents occurred. No one, from the top to the bottom knew a thing about it. Given that, I'd say it was a rumor of the ugliest kind.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Administrator

That seems like a good reason to keep the name of the store out.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

This subject has come up and been removed more times than I can believe, jj said it best, call the sheriff, period, Tony do your thang.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:39 AM
Platinum member

Whether it is true or not... you won't see "bad" publicity for TV in the Daily Sun!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Veteran member

By removing part of the original post you have limited freedom of speech which by the way is against our constitutional right. If you intend to do this dont allow the post at all. You have just given me dought about your forum.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug
By removing part of the original post you have limited freedom of speech which by the way is against our constitutional right. If you intend to do this dont allow the post at all. You have just given me dought about your forum.
Wrong! This is the perfect example of running through the theater yelling fire when there is none. Freedom of speech does not give you the right to spread untruths.

If you are offended by this, and you now have doubts about TOTV, I suggest you find a forum you like better.

Jan Kokochak, Administrator
Talk of The Villages
Old 01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Sage

Delete the whole post Jan.

No place for viral info of any type.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:46 PM

Your right to free speech in the Constitution applies only to the government restricting your speech. DOES NOT apply to business, individuals, etc. One of my pet peeves is people insisting the Constitution guarantees their right to say anything to anyone anywhere with no consequences.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkent
Your right to free speech in the Constitution applies only to the government restricting your speech. DOES NOT apply to business, individuals, etc. One of my pet peeves is people insisting the Constitution guarantees their right to say anything to anyone anywhere with no consequences.
What's that quote-- "Freedom of the Press belongs to he who owns one"? Forget who said that? :dontknow: TOTV's administrators have the right to delete whatever they want. Just look at what the Villages Daily Sun prints and does not print.

Call the Sumter County Sheriff is the best advice. I assume this thread is about something that allegedly happened in TV but at one of the grocery store parking lots. I have seen nothing about it on any of the major broadcasting channel affiliates-- NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox-- which would pick something like this up pretty quickly.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
This is the perfect example of running through the theater yelling fire when there is none. Freedom of speech does not give you the right to spread untruths.

However, IMHO, leaving the post here but deleting the store name doesn't really accomplish anything. Now you're saying "FIRE", but leaving out where it is. Wouldn't matter to me where the alleged incident occured as it would be indicative of a serious safety issue in TV, not something that was related to a particular store.

Apparently, it didn't happen or someone would have heard about it. And Red was there when someone says it happened and didn't hear?

Delete the whole post! No reason to leave it up.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Administrator

I had already deleted similar posts twice, as I explained. I left that post to at least let others know the topic has been posted yet again, so somebody would not post again and so I would not have to delete yet another.

I asked anybody with definitive information to come forth. One did.

Now we have strong reason to think the story is untrue, the location name is not revealed, and I am a little happier.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony
I had already deleted similar posts twice, as I explained. I left that post to at least let others know the topic has been posted yet again, so somebody would not post again and so I would not have to delete yet another.

I asked anybody with definitive information to come forth. One did.

Now we have strong reason to think the story is untrue, the location name is not revealed, and I am a little happier.

Good call. Sometimes crimes like the alleged one are not reported to the police, but that does not sound like this would be one of those such situations if rumors have been flying about this on TOTV. The victim is usually too ashamed to go to the police. I think if one of the various victim support groups were involved they would make sure steps to prevent further crimes were taken if there were any truth to this rumor.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.