Far Too Much Misinformation

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
It appears the activity on this forum has increased in the past few months. Many more viewing, more threads and more responses. That's the good news.

There also seems to be an increase in the amount of erroneous information. That is the bad news.

A lot of this can have serious consequences. People asking for information may rely on the answers they get here. However, those answers may be from self styled experts who are wrong. There are even cases of others correcting the error only to replace it with another error.

I am not referring to questions such as electric cart vs. gas cart or new vs. resale. Anyone asking about subjects such as those will expect opinions. However, much more serious questions are asked. They include bond issues, taxes, our form of government, IRS issue and more. People deserve correct answers as they may be making a big decision and that decision could depend on the answer they get here.

This problem is out of the hands of the Admins. They cannot be expected to check the accuracy of every post. It is in our hands. Let's get our facts right before responding.

My comments are not meant to include the political forum or any sub forum or question requesting an opinion.
Right on. Add to that the rumor mongers and conspiracy theorist and the problem intensifies
Old 03-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
The reason is many of the responders don't even live here. There are a few posters with over 2,000 posts that have visited here once.....One that doesn't live here, doesn't rent here and has been on property 1 time!
I don't understand the meaning of your post. Hope I'm wrong but I got a feeling that perspective buyers are not welcome to post in your opinion?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Sage
Smile

I just recently learned how fraudulent the internent can be. I was always cautious but didn't think it could be all that bad when it comes to medical and health issues. I was wrong! I was told that a certain product is a cure for a common ailment. I did a yahoo search and sure enough there it was, a well known product advertised as a cure for ailment X. And it said, "money back guarantee". But when I called the company, they said, "NO, we do not advertise our product for that purpose."

So, that's the nature of the internet. If something is very important to you, you need to check and double check to see if the information is true or factual. Don't just believe everything you read.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Veteran member

Take everything with a grain of salt whether it be newspaper article, cable news, etc. including what's written on TOTV. It is only an opinion of a person even if it is written as facts. On TOTV, I sometimes detect comments as a gruntled view of an employee or an ad posing as a Villager. Can't blame them for trying though am sure Admin. will control any blatant disregard for the spirit of the posting.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
TOTV is invaluable.

BUT:

That being said, anyone who believes everything that they read on the internet should contact me for really cheap oceanfront property in Summerfield.
I agree with CappyJon and the others who say...ya gotta do your own homework! And how much is the cheap oceanfront property in Summerfield?
Old 03-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I agree with CappyJon and the others who say...ya gotta do your own homework! And how much is the cheap oceanfront property in Summerfield?
Do your own homework!

It is too late .Almost 90K of us have bought up a bunch of dumb land in the middle of Florida. We have not only done it but we have been given some kind of numbing agent or kickipoo joy juice and we love it here.

The misinformation comes from those not similarly ingested or infected or injected.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Sage

I will be back in TV on June 8 for 9 days to drink the kickipoo joy juice and/or to be injected with the mind numbing agent. Please have the supplies ready as soon as I cross into TV terrority .
Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Do your own homework!

It is too late .Almost 90K of us have bought up a bunch of dumb land in the middle of Florida. We have not only done it but we have been given some kind of numbing agent or kickipoo joy juice and we love it here.

The misinformation comes from those not similarly ingested or infected or injected.

Uh Oh....That last time I was given numbing agent and drank the kickipoo joy juice I became pregnant...Hope that doesn't happen this time.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
I don't understand the meaning of your post. Hope I'm wrong but I got a feeling that perspective buyers are not welcome to post in your opinion?
In Hedoman's defence, from reading this thread, I don't think that he is saying that potential buyers are not welcome to post their opinions. Not at all. Not a bit. I think his point is that if a question is asked, potential buyers should make sure they have correct information before replying so as not to mislead readers.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
For you, 1/2 price!

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I think that what Hedoman was trying to say is that those "off campus" are most often offering info that they have only received from this forum and many members of this forum do not always read an entire thread in which the correct answer may ultimately be revealed, thus correcting earlier flawed info.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=Indydealmaker;465386]I think that what Hedoman was trying to say is that those "off campus" are most often offering info that they have only received from this forum and many members of this forum do not always read an entire thread in which the correct answer may ultimately be revealed, thus correcting earlier flawed info.[/QUOTE

I am not sure what Hedoman was trying to say but I think your's is a good interpretation, but, how is one to know which response is correct? (That is a rhetorical question). Some of the erroneous posts are very convincing.

When an opinion is solicited the person asking expects opinions. However, some of the questions are asking for facts. That is where we should be careful in our answers. I have seen many threads where various and sundry answers are given and then someone provides a link to the site where the correct answer is given. That should end the thread but people keep right on posting conflicting information.

I agree reading the entire thread is important. If there are conflicting answers the next step is to contact another source.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
the reason is many of the responders don't even live here. There are a few posters with over 2,000 posts that have visited here once.....one that doesn't live here, doesn't rent here and has been on property 1 time!
many??? Few???? One???
Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Perspective buyers are the ones with questions and we happily try to answer, heck I was one of them for a long time. Those who answer with the air of authority but have very little time here are the ones I worry about and hence incidences of misinformation. I can't understandhow a person can have over 2,000 posts and has never been here but answers inquiries like a local.....

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 03-11-2012, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
In Hedoman's defence, from reading this thread, I don't think that he is saying that potential buyers are not welcome to post their opinions. Not at all. Not a bit. I think his point is that if a question is asked, potential buyers should make sure they have correct information before replying so as not to mislead readers.
Thank you Barefoot

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.