Do Not Call List

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Default Do Not Call List

In calling Comcast this morning due to unwanted calls--I found out you must register your telephone number "do not call" listing when you move from one place to the other:

www.donotcall.gov

If you have not done this yet--use the web site above.
This is for cell phones as well
Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

And for those who do not want to register via website, just call 1-888-382-1222 from the phone you want to register.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Gold member

Florida also has their own Do Not Call list that you should register to be on.
https://www.fldnc.com/
Old 04-04-2013, 03:07 PM

It never stops. The calls keep coming and we are on Every list. All charities are exempt, any company you may have dealt with (Sears, Kohl's Discover card, AAA, plumbers), everyone, and all government and political venues. Surveys sneak though also.

Best bet- don't answer the phone. LOL
Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 PM
KittyKat

I agree. I get so tired of saying "I'm on all the 'Do Not Call' lists!X##!!"
Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 AM
Platinum member

With the answering machine and caller ID if a number looks unfamiliar to me, I'll wait until the machine picks up and the caller begins to leave a message. If it is someone familiar I will then pick up the call. I read somewhere if you get one of those recordings phone calls if you press # a dozen times it short circuits the phone system and your number is erased. Not sure if it works or not but I do this anyway. .
Old 04-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

Some time ago, a friend was troubled by many automated calls, and did some research. What he found: Remember the sound you get when you dial a number that is no longer in service? Those three tones, 3 note, de~ dee~ dee, followed by "you have reached a number that is no longer in service..."? It's called a Special Information Tone. Well, Google it, and record that sound at the beginning of your outgoing announcement on your voice mail or answering machine. It seems that those three notes signal the computer that generates the calls (or the person calling) that that number isn't a valid number, and they delete your number from their calling list. I can't say for sure this works, but maybe worth a few minutes to those troubled by too many unwanted calls.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.