Favorite Villages Walk...on grass, no concrete

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Default Favorite Villages Walk...on grass, no concrete

I have a relative coming in January who wants to start a walking regimen; however, he needs a grassy surface instead of concrete because of chronic back issues. Thanking you in advance for your valuable information, please send me your favorite walks on grassy surfaces. P.S. we live in Fernandina, south of 466 A
Old 12-17-2018, 06:24 PM

The Fenney area is spectacular. Tall trees, nature views, water...
Old 12-17-2018, 07:08 PM

Polo Fields
Old 12-17-2018, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Make sure he brings waterproof walking shoes especially if he walks in the morning because grass often VERY wet due to dew and watering and also often VERY dense which makes walking on grass sometimes a bit more difficult. Polo fields is probably a good (but boring) suggestion as there are many beautiful places to walk here in TV. (we do 5-6 miles every morning).
Old 12-18-2018, 08:50 AM
Gold member

One of the best places to walk if you have back issues is in a pool. Your guest can't use the sports pools but many people walk in their neighborhood pool. Also on the historic side right over the cart bridge is a great walking path path made from some hard but a little cushiony rubber substance. Also exercise machines there.
When a person first starts out there is a tendency to overdo so be sure to take that into consideration.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think the grass here is HARD to walk in. It is spongy and kind of grabs your feet. I would think they'd enjoy just walking along the cart paths, like on 466.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufrano View Post
I have a relative coming in January who wants to start a walking regimen; however, he needs a grassy surface instead of concrete because of chronic back issues. Thanking you in advance for your valuable information, please send me your favorite walks on grassy surfaces. P.S. we live in Fernandina, south of 466 A
Based on my past 5 years experience of running 18-22 miles a week here in TV, there are no areas of grass to walk south of 466 that are not private yards except for a few short, detached sections next to some Villa walls, golf courses and along multi-modal paths. I have not done many runs north of 466. I have done a couple of runs from Fenney back to Fernandina but those also require running road birms and multi-modal paths.

Lake Okahumpka Park, on SR44 between Morse and Buena Vista does have about 1 mile of improved dirt trails.

Our sidewalks and multi-modal trails do provide many choices to vary walking routes but the surfaces will be concrete (very hard) and asphalt (somewhat softer).

Keep walking,
Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 12-18-2018, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

The walkways in Paradise Park on the Historic Side and the exercise area are paved with recycled tires. It's cushioned as you walk. It is what it was designed for.

Last edited by rustyp; 12-18-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:02 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

There is grass all along Fenney Way from the entrance to the round about on Warm Springs, miles of grass between the paved walking paths and the golf cart lanes. Also lots of grass along the trails near the sports pool and nature trails. That being said, there are hundreds of ant hills within those grassy areas, some being fire ants, and others being those crazy little ants that bite but don't leave a blister like the fire ants but they still hurt. I walk our dog there so he stays out of private yards but I have to be very careful where he walks to avoid the ants.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Along Morse and Buena Vista there are multi-modal paths on one side of the road and a wide grass border on the other side that should be ideal for walking.
Closed Thread

Tags
concrete, grassy, favorite, back, valuable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.