Feeding the birds

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2019, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Hmmmmmm . . . Is that spelled correctly?????!?

It certainly is. If it comes from blueash you can take it to the bank.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-26-2019, 02:22 PM
Default Angel Wing

It is true. Do not feed waterfowl anything like bread, crackers, or popcorn. Its all the preservatives that are put in our food that is toxic to waterfowl. It creates a condition called "Angel Wing". We have a Canada Goose on Paradise Lake, called Wingman who has this condition. His/her wings are deformed and as a result cannot fly. I have seen others, like this goose, in other parts of The Villages. It is highly recommended (not illegal) to not feed the waterfowl that we see in our waters, but if you do feed them get some cracked corn, or whole corn from some of the feed stores, like Tractor Supply Co or Rural King in Leesburg. These are natural foods that Canada Geese eat in farmers fields during their migrations. However, if you do feed them, expect the consequences. They will come back and fertilize your yard on a daily basis, and have their territorial battles too.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawano1 View Post
Do not feed waterfowl anything like bread, crackers, or popcorn. It is highly recommended to NOT feed the waterfowl that we see in our waters.

Last edited by Barefoot; 07-27-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawano1 View Post
It is true. Do not feed waterfowl anything like bread, crackers, or popcorn. Its all the preservatives that are put in our food that is toxic to waterfowl. It creates a condition called "Angel Wing". We have a Canada Goose on Paradise Lake, called Wingman who has this condition. His/her wings are deformed and as a result cannot fly. .
I love learning new stuff. Didn't know about "Angel Wing" so I looked it up. Nothing at all to do with preservatives. Per the link it is related to a high calorie diet blamed both on excess protein and excess carbohydrates as well as deficiency in several minerals and vitamins. Especially a diet of white bread. But not preservatives.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:14 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Fairly sure there is a lady sitting on a bench who will sell you food for tuppence a bag.
Very, very funny---thanks
Old 07-27-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Our yard is one of the regular stops for a group of Canada Geese. Magnificent birds. They rarely actually come into our yard as we have a water ditch between us and the golf course, but they do walk over and dig around with their beaks and eat what they can find. The golfers absolutely hate them, I have seen golfers try to hit them with the golf cart!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-27-2019, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

The Canada Goose used to be a migratory bird but not so much anymore. I consider them a nuisance on the golf course but have not aimed at one yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
The golfers absolutely hate them. I have seen golfers try to hit them with the golf cart!
Canada Geese are regarded as nuisances in Canada.
If they are on a lake, people keep them off their property by pretend falcons or a pretend fox.
However hitting them with a golf cart or a golf club is brutality which is disgusting.

I'm off the topic of feeding birds here.
But when don't we go off topic on TOTV?
Closed Thread

Tags
feeding, birds, small, purchase, park

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.