Elevating "donuts" around sprinklers?

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Default Elevating "donuts" around sprinklers?

Has anyone raised the height of one of those donut-shaped things that surround sprinklers? I assume they are to protect sprinkler from car tires, but some are depressed as low as sprinkler head.

Are they short and easy to dig out, and then replace after inserting extra dirt or gravel, etc.?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe View Post
Has anyone raised the height of one of those donut-shaped things that surround sprinklers? I assume they are to protect sprinkler from car tires, but some are depressed as low as sprinkler head.

Are they short and easy to dig out, and then replace after inserting extra dirt or gravel, etc.?
The donuts do two things, they tend to keep the grass from growing over the sprinkler head and to protect the head from lawn mowing equipment. A car driving over the head most likely will damage the head.
The donuts are easy to pry out. Once out trim the grass around the sprinkler head then add soil to raise the donut. Do not raise so high the the mower will hit the donut. Really quite easy.

Here are some tips:
How to Prevent Grass From Growing Over Sprinkler Heads | eHow.com
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=4566924
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Yes, the donuts are easy to adjust higher if needed. Sometimes they do sink a bit, especially if driven over.
Some folks just add another donut over the existing one.

Ideally, I like to see the sprinkler head bodies screwed into a threaded elbow glued onto a short piece of flex hose that is then glued onto the irrigation pipe, so if driven over or hit they will move and not break. I've seen too many sprinkler lines broken, especially around the threaded nipple after being driven over because there was no "give" to the sprinkler body.

That is why I advise folks to run their sprinkler systems during times where their is activity so if you have a broken head someone could tell you about it....who is going to notice at 3am??

Even better, check your system once a month or so to insure correct flow, etc.

Frank D'Angelo, ACI
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default My experience

Our 1st FL house in Sarasota had St. Augustine grass(which grows thick & high) and after 3-4 years it had matured and grown to the point the one doughnut was not enough.

I had to put a double doughnut layer and in a number of cases replace the sprinkler head with a taller one.

Here in T.V. with Zoysia grass , this has not happened, grass does not grow as high.

Just insure that the heads clear the doughnuts and grass.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You can also piggyback the donuts. Simply turn the botton one over with the flat side up and place the second one on flat side down. The rider mover push them down all the time.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Sage

What happened to the Pop up sprinklers, sprinkler rotors and spray heads, Sprinkler Buddy custom fits most all makes and models. company they used to advertise here.

Anyone use their product?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.