Lanai facing west

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Default Lanai facing west

Hi everyone. Yes, we are finally, finally here in TV and renting for the winter. Wow, already so much to do. We love it so much we are already looking for a house, Amarillo-ish, with a golf cart garage and a quiet, if small backyard with a pleasing view. One home has come up that meets our specs, but the lanai faces west with a big view from both the lanai and FL room. Yes, we love sunsets and a bright home, but is this a problem with afternoon heat and sun, and how do you manage that? What are the pitfalls and the secrets to success?

Can you shed some light on this topic? :>) Thanks in advance for your help.

Peg
Old 01-16-2008, 03:43 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Lanai facing west

I have the Amarillo and my lanai faces west. I put venetian blinds and canvas awning on the back window and put venetian blinds and acrylic windows on the enclosed lanai.

I open and close as needed to keep the sun out.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 AM
Veteran member

What can you tell us about garage door insulation? Was it insulated from the git go? Or did you add insulation to it? If so, what was it comprised of and how was it installed?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 01-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Sage

Peg - I don't own a home in TV but from observance of the resale listings - I've never seen one that advertised a west facing lanai. I've seen hundreds that boast about EAST or NORTH. That would lend me to believe that those directions are more desirable.

For me the first thing would be what is behind me (i.e. privacy, golf course, water etc.) then I'd be concerned with direction.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

My kitchen and den windows in my current home (not TV *sigh*) face west and I went to Lowes and picked up some UV film and put it over the windows, it cuts about 95% of the UV rays and heat and it's really nice. I'm sure a professional job would have been better, but I did pretty fair and it was simple.

If all else with the house was great, I'd take it. I also would think about an awning or cover for permanent shade there.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

gf, for garage door insulation you can go to Romac Bldg Supply who has probably put in most the the garage doors in TV and they sell insulation packages for your particular door size that are in pre-cut pieces that you just stick on.

Our lanai faces southwest and we have found (as Barb pointed out), that we like that it keeps it light and bright in the afternoon, we do have double pane tinted windows.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:40 PM

Yes, yes, keep it comin', the good, bad and ugly sides of buying a house with these issues. You all are the greatest to help me!

I am also concerned about the vinyl siding since I've heard so much about buckling and such. Are most people satisfied with new construction now, or how do you know if the stuff on your home is applied correctly?

Peg
Old 01-16-2008, 04:10 PM

We have a home in Amelia with the vinyl siding and we have had no problem with it. To the best of my knowledge, I have not heard of any of the past problems with vinyl in this new construction area.
Congrats on your decision to buy a home in TV. Best of luck!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Gold member

Our tinted acrylic enclosed lanai faces west.
As I see it we get a maximum use because of that. During this recent chilly weather we are still getting full use because it is like a green house when the sun comes around and warms things up. When it is warmer in the spring and fall the fan is on high and the windows are open and it is lovely. During the summer the lanai is not very pleasant in the late afternoon, very warm, and we mostly kept closed up and shut off from the house. So I would say we get 9 months use of the space.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Veteran member

Is there such a thing as "double pane" acrylic siding? If we plan to AC the lanai in the future, is there a way to effectively insulate it using acrylic, or must we use double pane glass? Any ballpark guesses about the cost differences between acrylic and glass?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 01-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I recall reading that there is a big difference in the price between acrylic and glass but the bigger difference might be the other thing I read and that is if you use acrylic it is still a lanai, if you use glass it becomes part of the living space and increases the taxes on the house. Don't quote me on this, let's wait for someone with experience to chime in.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Gold member

golfnut:
I believe you are right about the difference between glass and acrylic. Glass enclosure makes it an additional room and therefore a higher assessment and taxes.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Sage

I recently had birdcage quotes as well as quotes on lanai enclosures: glass, acrylic and vinyl. The tax assessor told me a glass enclosure makes it an additional room and therefore higher taxes.

BUT, the last guy who did an estimate, and who was extremely knowledgeable, told me to call again! He said the tax assessor gave me wrong information. The estimate guy told me some terminology to use when I have a second conversation with the tax assessor.

I'll keep you updated on the results!
Old 01-19-2008, 04:02 PM

Everyone I know who has a Lani facing west has a heat problem in the summer. There are always bushes and trees placed around the lani to help control the sun's rays. So best of luck in your decision just be prepared to tackle the problem with the heat. :verymad:
Old 01-19-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
I recently had birdcage quotes as well as quotes on lanai enclosures: glass, acrylic and vinyl. The tax assessor told me a glass enclosure makes it an additional room and therefore higher taxes.

BUT, the last guy who did an estimate, and who was extremely knowledgeable, told me to call again! He said the tax assessor gave me wrong information. The estimate guy told me some terminology to use when I have a second conversation with the tax assessor.

I'll keep you updated on the results!
I can tell you that I have a 30 foot acrylic enclosure on my home and because it is not heated it is not consider additional heated sq footage to the house. but there is a lesser assessment just like the assessment of having a birdcage.

If you look on Zillow.com and type in your address you can add things in to see assessed value of the home. adding a 3 season sunroom like acrylic pannels adds no resale value to the home. adding insulation glass windows and heat and air to the space will. So if you are doing acrylic consider doing it for lifestyle and keeping the funiture clean but will not add much to the value of your home.

You might want to pull up your assessment using
http://www.propertyappraiser.com/
click on the map for your county then accept the info and type in your address, you will see what your home is being assessed for. and, how it was assessed. Good Luck
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.