What happened to WVLG

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2020, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts
Default What happened to WVLG

I used to very much look forward to listening to WVLG, probable 8 of 10 songs they used to play were songs I very much enjoyed and rarely heard on other radio stations. Fast forward to currently and at best only 1 or 2 out of 10 songs are any good?

Earlier this morning I was sitting in our house up north looking outside at below zero temperatures, with frozen rain blowing sideways, and decided to get a small Villages fix (boy do I wish we were there) so I streamed WVLG. I stuck with the station for an hour despite not hearing one song I would even consider music. If hard pressed, the only semi-good thing I can say about their selection is that at least they did not play any RAP. Finally, I could not take the garbage they were playing anymore and had to turn it off. Apparently, whoever does the programing doesn't care about the stations ratings?

Can anyone recommend a decent radio station that comes in north of 466 that plays golden oldies and classic rock like WVLG used to? Please don't tell me to listen to Pandora or Spotify, I like listening to the radio.

Last edited by tophcfa; 11-23-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I used to very much look forward to listening to WVLG, probable 8 of 10 songs they used to play were songs I very much enjoyed and rarely heard on other radio stations. Fast forward to currently and at best only 1 or 2 out of 10 songs are any good?

Earlier this morning I was sitting in our house up north looking outside at below zero temperatures, with frozen rain blowing sideways, and decided to get a small Villages fix (boy do I wish we were there) so I streamed WVLG. I stuck with the station for an hour despite not hearing one song I would even consider music. If hard pressed, the only semi-good thing I can say about their selection is that at least they did not play any RAP. Finally, I could not take the garbage they were playing anymore and had to turn it off. Apparently, whoever does the programing doesn't care about the stations ratings?

Can anyone recommend a decent radio station that comes in north of 466 that plays golden oldies and classic rock like WVLG used to? Please don't tell me to listen to Pandora or Spotify, I like listening to the radio.

Check out Sirius/XM. I get it on all my "radios". It's made up of hundreds of "specific" genre music choice stations. I don't listen to WVLG (all my vehicles and streamers have XM) but just because YOU don't like the music doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. Very subjective choices. Like a favorite ice cream flavor. Villages avg age is dropping so the music AND ENTERTAINMENT may need to catch up a bit. Eventually even Rocky and the Elders get a bit too much to handle. One can only take so much 1950's music. I don't think WVLG cares about "ratings" as it's coverage is limited and primarily exists to sell homes.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 11-23-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

Here are a few suggestions:

Have you tried the IHeart Radio and Radio.com apps? You can search for and play hundreds of radio stations around the country.

Try 105.9 Sunny FM in Orlando

Sirius is now offering free service from now until November 30.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:14 PM

I suspect that with all the new areas within The Villages that are being developed, most of the newer villagers are in their early 60's. So I'm sure that The Villages has changed the format of WVLG to be closer aligned with that age group. And their concept of a "golden oldie" is something that was recorded in the 1980's. I know when we first started visiting The Villages in 2001, WVLG was playing songs from the 40's and 50's. Then after several years, they started playing songs from the 60's and those were "our Golden Oldies". So, I guess, time marches on. And someday in the future, WVLG will be playing the "golden oldie RAP" format for the new "millennial" villagers that will be moving here.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Let them know directly from you, the listener.

WVLGRadio@thevillagesmedia.com
Old 11-23-2020, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts
Default You can download pandora create your own radio stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post

on a smart phone or tv for free if you don’t make Nd a few adds
Old 11-23-2020, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

If you have Sirius installed in your car, you can listen for free until the end of November. The station "50's on 5" has some great oldies music.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I suspect that with all the new areas within The Villages that are being developed, most of the newer villagers are in their early 60's. So I'm sure that The Villages has changed the format of WVLG to be closer aligned with that age group. And their concept of a "golden oldie" is something that was recorded in the 1980's. I know when we first started visiting The Villages in 2001, WVLG was playing songs from the 40's and 50's. Then after several years, they started playing songs from the 60's and those were "our Golden Oldies". So, I guess, time marches on. And someday in the future, WVLG will be playing the "golden oldie RAP" format for the new "millennial" villagers that will be moving here.
We are in our early 60's and bought in the Villages in our mid 50's. Six years ago we loved the music WVLG played and now we can't stand it. The change in music selection has been dramatic. Our current age is very much in their target market for new homebuyers, but the music they play is not what anyone I know that is our age prefers listening to?

On another note, according to the WVLG D.J.'s, is there ever a day that is NOT a great day to tour an open house?
Old 11-23-2020, 04:48 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

They have to play music for everyone so they are playing songs from the 1950's through I would assume early 1990's. Although I was in high school during the first 4 years of the 1960's I also enjoy 1970's music and keep my sirius radio on the 50's, 60's, and 70's. There are times I too don't like what is being broadcast but an hour later and they are back to what I consider the good stuff. Also, there were plenty of songs out in the later 60's that I really don't enjoy but that is just me.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:00 PM

IMO it's all about the money. Royalties need to be paid each time a song is played. The more popular a song the more the royalty. Play tunes less liked = less cost. check out this layman's description of royalty payments. Soundcharts | Market Intelligence for the Music Industry Feel free to enlighten me (us) if you have inside info.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Boston View Post
IMO it's all about the money. Royalties need to be paid each time a song is played. The more popular a song the more the royalty. Play tunes less liked = less cost. check out this layman's description of royalty payments. Soundcharts | Market Intelligence for the Music Industry Feel free to enlighten me (us) if you have inside info.
Great link to that excellent webpage. Very informative. I had always (incorrectly) thought that after x?x?x number of years (not sure how many) music becomes "public domain" for radio stations to play without royalty fee. I'd be curious to know what the "blanket fee" WVLG or any small local station like them pays. Wondering if it's thousands or tens of thousands. Also the cover bands we always hear have to pay royalties as well. Wonder how many do.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

I would guess that the decade that most people like to listen to is the one that they heard in high school. In that case, if you are looking for 50's doo-wop rock and roll stuff, you are probably deep in your 70's or 80's. WVLG would be pretty dumb to stick with that dying market segment, especially since much of their broadcasting is around promotion of open houses in the newer areas. My age would qualify me to prefer 60's music, but just like 50's music, I can only stand so much of the "old stuff". I've always loved electronic synth music and now listen mostly to stuff produced by today's technology, not yesterday's nostalgia. Perhaps WVLG will catch up to what I like to listen to 30 years from now. But luckily, there are many more ways to get the music you want besides the AM airwaves,
Old 11-24-2020, 06:29 AM

When I came back earlier this year I noticed the awful change, that was one of the things I enjoyed about the Villages and now it's gone.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

I get your desire for radio, I've always enjoyed hearing an announcer talk about various subjects while also listening to music. A few commercials are bearable for this feeling of live 'company'. Here are 2 radio stations that are not too far from TV that you could hopefully get here.

95.5 FM WYND Classic Rock 24.3 miles Silver Springs, FL
92.9 FM WMFQ Oldies 12.2 miles Ocala, FL
Old 11-24-2020, 06:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

Just as an addition to my post, I listen to live radio on line through my computer and plugged in speakers (computer audio output is horrible on its own). That way you can listen to anything from anywhere in the world. But I'm sure you already know this.
Closed Thread

Tags
wvlg, radio, songs, stations, north

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.