Feral Hogs

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2022, 09:16 AM
Default Feral Hogs

There was an article in yesterday's Daily Sun about the growing feral hog population in Florida, resulting in property destruction and spreading of many diseases. The Florida Water Management District conducts regular hunts to help control the population, but it sounds like it's not enough. Hunters are required to purchase a $75 permit in order to legally hunt these hogs. Plus, if you employ a hunting service, that is an additional cost. If the problem is so great, why not offer a bounty for killed hogs? They do it for pythons. Just another bureaucracy not thinking clearly!
Old 01-12-2022, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyealbert View Post
There was an article in yesterday's Daily Sun about the growing feral hog population in Florida, resulting in property destruction and spreading of many diseases. The Florida Water Management District conducts regular hunts to help control the population, but it sounds like it's not enough. Hunters are required to purchase a $75 permit in order to legally hunt these hogs. Plus, if you employ a hunting service, that is an additional cost. If the problem is so great, why not offer a bounty for killed hogs? They do it for pythons. Just another bureaucracy not thinking clearly!
That’s a great idea, it used to work on the seals in New England. Since the bounty was lifted the waters have been overrun with seals, Great White Sharks that feast on the seals, seal crap, and the fishing is horrible since the seals eat most of the game fish. Unfortunately, the second the animal rights activists hear the word bounty, watch out.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:47 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
That’s a great idea, it used to work on the seals in New England. Since the bounty was lifted the waters have been overrun with seals, Great White Sharks that feast on the seals, seal crap, and the fishing is horrible since the seals eat most of the game fish. Unfortunately, the second the animal rights activists hear the word bounty, watch out.
Between 1880–1962, gray and harbor seals were targeted in legal seal bounty hunts across Maine and Massachusetts due to a perceived competition with commercial fisheries. Following their extirpation 50 years ago
Old 01-12-2022, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,536 Times in 1,460 Posts
Default New menu items?

If the law was only wild caught could be sold for food, might help reduce numbers of feral hogs and snakes and other invasive species. Heavy fines plus jail time for those breeding them in captivity. Exotic foods can be great. Put them on the menu until they are wiped out.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyealbert View Post
There are no PERFECT answers. "Legally hunt these hogs." Sooner or later we will read someone injured. A wild hog is actually a dangerous animal. There is a,"sport," of hunting them with pistols. Poison? Sooner or later someone's dog, pet camel? will eat it.

Swamp people? Like so many reality TV shows they make far more for the videos than for alligators. So many such shows. Antique road show. Yup we only drove 3,000 mile to buy this item for $1,000 and I'll bet we can get $1300 for it. That will pay our mortgage, staff of four plus. Pawn stars-no I will pay you more than you are asking. My expert-he is not only waiting for me to call but he gladly works for free.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,586 Times in 1,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
There are no PERFECT answers. "Legally hunt these hogs." Sooner or later we will read someone injured. A wild hog is actually a dangerous animal. There is a,"sport," of hunting them with pistols. Poison? Sooner or later someone's dog, pet camel? will eat it.

Swamp people? Like so many reality TV shows they make far more for the videos than for alligators. So many such shows. Antique road show. Yup we only drove 3,000 mile to buy this item for $1,000 and I'll bet we can get $1300 for it. That will pay our mortgage, staff of four plus. Pawn stars-no I will pay you more than you are asking. My expert-he is not only waiting for me to call but he gladly works for free.
I've heard that some people use spears to hunt feral hogs. No thanks. No way am I getting within a few feet of one of those with just a pointed stick.

My son (who is moving down here in a few months) and I have talked about hunting them. I used to make sausage, and pork (wild or not) is the primary ingredient in the sausages I made. If we do it will be with a weapon that has a bit more range than a spear.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I've heard that some people use spears to hunt feral hogs. No thanks. No way am I getting within a few feet of one of those with just a pointed stick.

My son (who is moving down here in a few months) and I have talked about hunting them. I used to make sausage, and pork (wild or not) is the primary ingredient in the sausages I made. If we do it will be with a weapon that has a bit more range than a spear.
Use a slingshot and give them a sporting chance
Old 01-13-2022, 06:07 AM

And why again is this an issue with you? I think some people search for things to post and complain about.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:15 AM
Platinum member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
And why again is this an issue with you? I think some people search for things to post and complain about.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:36 AM

Driving back from picking up someone at MCO at night 5 years ago I saw about 20 of them of all sizes in the road and on the median on Buena Vista north of Brownwood. Some of them were huge and they were digging around. At first I thought it was a pack of dogs or something but nope wild pigs. Have seen one since.

Last edited by Pat_RI; 01-14-2022 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:44 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

The cost for this sport is very cheap.
The $75 is like a trail fee.
Great target practice.
Jus keep a pair of boots in the trunk.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:50 AM
Veteran member

I hunted mosquitoes and use a swatter
Old 01-13-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post

My neighbors in Georgia hunted wild hogs on their ATV's using either rifles or combination bows and arrows. They were quite successful and shared their really good sausage with us.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:14 AM

Ill have an order of “Stinky Pig with Slick Wilies”?)
Old 01-13-2022, 07:24 AM

Secretly I’m rooting for the wild pigs!
Closed Thread

Tags
hogs, population, florida, feral, hog

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.