Feral Hogs

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-12-2022, 09:16 AM
wyealbert wyealbert is offline
Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fernandina
Posts: 37
Thanks: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Default Feral Hogs

There was an article in yesterday's Daily Sun about the growing feral hog population in Florida, resulting in property destruction and spreading of many diseases. The Florida Water Management District conducts regular hunts to help control the population, but it sounds like it's not enough. Hunters are required to purchase a $75 permit in order to legally hunt these hogs. Plus, if you employ a hunting service, that is an additional cost. If the problem is so great, why not offer a bounty for killed hogs? They do it for pythons. Just another bureaucracy not thinking clearly!
__________________
Jeff Albert
Fernandina Resident
  #2  
Old 01-12-2022, 09:34 AM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 3,861
Thanks: 1,835
Thanked 4,999 Times in 1,546 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyealbert View Post
There was an article in yesterday's Daily Sun about the growing feral hog population in Florida, resulting in property destruction and spreading of many diseases. The Florida Water Management District conducts regular hunts to help control the population, but it sounds like it's not enough. Hunters are required to purchase a $75 permit in order to legally hunt these hogs. Plus, if you employ a hunting service, that is an additional cost. If the problem is so great, why not offer a bounty for killed hogs? They do it for pythons. Just another bureaucracy not thinking clearly!
That’s a great idea, it used to work on the seals in New England. Since the bounty was lifted the waters have been overrun with seals, Great White Sharks that feast on the seals, seal crap, and the fishing is horrible since the seals eat most of the game fish. Unfortunately, the second the animal rights activists hear the word bounty, watch out.
  #3  
Old 01-12-2022, 09:47 AM
Dana1963 Dana1963 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,299
Thanks: 3,174
Thanked 1,439 Times in 577 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
That’s a great idea, it used to work on the seals in New England. Since the bounty was lifted the waters have been overrun with seals, Great White Sharks that feast on the seals, seal crap, and the fishing is horrible since the seals eat most of the game fish. Unfortunately, the second the animal rights activists hear the word bounty, watch out.
Between 1880–1962, gray and harbor seals were targeted in legal seal bounty hunts across Maine and Massachusetts due to a perceived competition with commercial fisheries. Following their extirpation 50 years ago
  #4  
Old 01-12-2022, 10:04 AM
fdpaq0580 fdpaq0580 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,227
Thanks: 325
Thanked 1,358 Times in 540 Posts
Default New menu items?

If the law was only wild caught could be sold for food, might help reduce numbers of feral hogs and snakes and other invasive species. Heavy fines plus jail time for those breeding them in captivity. Exotic foods can be great. Put them on the menu until they are wiped out.
  #5  
Old 01-12-2022, 04:28 PM
DAVES DAVES is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,523
Thanks: 105
Thanked 1,486 Times in 740 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyealbert View Post
There was an article in yesterday's Daily Sun about the growing feral hog population in Florida, resulting in property destruction and spreading of many diseases. The Florida Water Management District conducts regular hunts to help control the population, but it sounds like it's not enough. Hunters are required to purchase a $75 permit in order to legally hunt these hogs. Plus, if you employ a hunting service, that is an additional cost. If the problem is so great, why not offer a bounty for killed hogs? They do it for pythons. Just another bureaucracy not thinking clearly!
There are no PERFECT answers. "Legally hunt these hogs." Sooner or later we will read someone injured. A wild hog is actually a dangerous animal. There is a,"sport," of hunting them with pistols. Poison? Sooner or later someone's dog, pet camel? will eat it.

Swamp people? Like so many reality TV shows they make far more for the videos than for alligators. So many such shows. Antique road show. Yup we only drove 3,000 mile to buy this item for $1,000 and I'll bet we can get $1300 for it. That will pay our mortgage, staff of four plus. Pawn stars-no I will pay you more than you are asking. My expert-he is not only waiting for me to call but he gladly works for free.
  #6  
Old 01-12-2022, 08:45 PM
ThirdOfFive ThirdOfFive is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 604
Thanks: 359
Thanked 779 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
There are no PERFECT answers. "Legally hunt these hogs." Sooner or later we will read someone injured. A wild hog is actually a dangerous animal. There is a,"sport," of hunting them with pistols. Poison? Sooner or later someone's dog, pet camel? will eat it.

Swamp people? Like so many reality TV shows they make far more for the videos than for alligators. So many such shows. Antique road show. Yup we only drove 3,000 mile to buy this item for $1,000 and I'll bet we can get $1300 for it. That will pay our mortgage, staff of four plus. Pawn stars-no I will pay you more than you are asking. My expert-he is not only waiting for me to call but he gladly works for free.
I've heard that some people use spears to hunt feral hogs. No thanks. No way am I getting within a few feet of one of those with just a pointed stick.

My son (who is moving down here in a few months) and I have talked about hunting them. I used to make sausage, and pork (wild or not) is the primary ingredient in the sausages I made. If we do it will be with a weapon that has a bit more range than a spear.
  #7  
Old 01-13-2022, 05:59 AM
thevillages2013 thevillages2013 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,386
Thanks: 478
Thanked 1,346 Times in 536 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I've heard that some people use spears to hunt feral hogs. No thanks. No way am I getting within a few feet of one of those with just a pointed stick.

My son (who is moving down here in a few months) and I have talked about hunting them. I used to make sausage, and pork (wild or not) is the primary ingredient in the sausages I made. If we do it will be with a weapon that has a bit more range than a spear.
Use a slingshot and give them a sporting chance
  #8  
Old 01-13-2022, 06:07 AM
tsmall22204 tsmall22204 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 325
Thanks: 0
Thanked 614 Times in 202 Posts
Default

And why again is this an issue with you? I think some people search for things to post and complain about.
  #9  
Old 01-13-2022, 06:15 AM
DaleDivine DaleDivine is online now
Gold member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,439
Thanks: 457
Thanked 803 Times in 472 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
And why again is this an issue with you? I think some people search for things to post and complain about.
  #10  
Old 01-13-2022, 06:36 AM
Pat_RI Pat_RI is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pennecamp
Posts: 220
Thanks: 11
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Driving back from picking up someone at MCO at night 5 years ago I saw about 20 of them of all sizes in the road and on the median on Buena Vista north of Brownwood. Some of them were huge and they were digging around. At first I thought it was a pack of dogs or something but nope wild pigs. Have seen one since.

Last edited by Pat_RI; 01-14-2022 at 06:30 AM.
  #11  
Old 01-13-2022, 06:44 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is online now
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 9,319
Thanks: 670
Thanked 7,046 Times in 2,561 Posts
Default

The cost for this sport is very cheap.
The $75 is like a trail fee.
Great target practice.
Jus keep a pair of boots in the trunk.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #12  
Old 01-13-2022, 06:50 AM
Luggage Luggage is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 731
Thanks: 39
Thanked 503 Times in 274 Posts
Default

I hunted mosquitoes and use a swatter
  #13  
Old 01-13-2022, 07:12 AM
Mistymom Mistymom is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Pine Hills
Posts: 23
Thanks: 39
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I've heard that some people use spears to hunt feral hogs. No thanks. No way am I getting within a few feet of one of those with just a pointed stick.

My son (who is moving down here in a few months) and I have talked about hunting them. I used to make sausage, and pork (wild or not) is the primary ingredient in the sausages I made. If we do it will be with a weapon that has a bit more range than a spear.
My neighbors in Georgia hunted wild hogs on their ATV's using either rifles or combination bows and arrows. They were quite successful and shared their really good sausage with us.
  #14  
Old 01-13-2022, 07:14 AM
Kgcetm Kgcetm is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 199
Thanks: 114
Thanked 156 Times in 73 Posts
Default

Ill have an order of “Stinky Pig with Slick Wilies”?)
  #15  
Old 01-13-2022, 07:24 AM
Fastskiguy Fastskiguy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Linden
Posts: 178
Thanks: 234
Thanked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Secretly I’m rooting for the wild pigs!
Closed Thread

Tags
hogs, population, florida, feral, hog

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 PM.