Is the online edition different that the home delivery

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Founder
Default Is the online edition different that the home delivery

I was looking for the golf cart accident story on-line and couldn't find it. Does the Daily Sun not print everything on line that's in the hard copy?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I was looking for the golf cart accident story on-line and couldn't find it. Does the Daily Sun not print everything on line that's in the hard copy?
Unfortunately, the online version is not even close to a full version. I sent an email to the paper, asking if they might have a full version someday and I was told they have no plans for that at this time.

I would even pay for the online version ????

Maybe, if enough folks send them emails, asking for an online version, they might reconsider...
Old 07-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Sage

And further to memason's point, it seems the online version is much more "skinnied-down" from what it used to be. I never look at it any more.

Bill
Old 07-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran member
Default Money

You make money from sold newspapers not online. If they sold the paper online do you know how big that file would be.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
You make money from sold newspapers not online. If they sold the paper online do you know how big that file would be.
Not sure what you mean by BIG file? An entire newspaper (think NY Times Sunday edition) is still just a small file in the cyber world. Could easily be done. But not many newspapers or magazines have found the internet to be profitable as it relates to subscriptions. They need to make the money from advertisers and give it away free (or limited $).
Old 07-01-2011, 03:26 PM

Ironically, the Daily Sun may be in a unique position to profit from Online. Most local papers are struggling to compete online. But given the number of TV wannabes, renters, and snowbirds, I'm betting there would be a lot of interest in paid online. I know I'm in that group. I called and asked about a snail mail subscription. Maybe after I hit the lottery.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Founder

One of the New York newspapers, online edition, is supported strictly by google ads. (I forget which newspaper). All they do is put the data files in the space where they should be and Google places the ads. They make a fortune and don't have to lift a finger to sell ads.

JLK
Old 07-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
One of the New York newspapers, online edition, is supported strictly by google ads. (I forget which newspaper). All they do is put the data files in the space where they should be and Google places the ads. They make a fortune and don't have to lift a finger to sell ads.

JLK
Makes sense in today's world.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
Doug - newspapers make nearly all of their money from advertising. Subscription revenues are minimum. Most of the large ad agencies have digital branches or subs to sell this type of ad. It is hoe Yahoo and Google can be "free" and still turn a profit.

As my partner in (IT) crime Russ has stated, in this case size doesn't matter.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Sage

We need to be realistic that the Daily Fun is more marketing tool than traditional newspaper. Especially online to wannabees, it's primary function is to sell a lifestyle.

I'm not knocking that. We purchased a lifestyle. Just saying it is what it is.

-- This smilie doesn't really apply, but I've been wanted to use it.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
And further to memason's point, it seems the online version is much more "skinnied-down" from what it used to be. I never look at it any more.

Bill
Bill,

You are correct. The online version used to have 2 news articles and a sports article each day. About 2 months ago, the news articles were cut down to 1 per day, and no more sports story . I still enjoy reading the article each day. Would be nice if one could pay for the full online edition. I bet many snowbirds, snowflakes and wannabees would subscribe to a full online edition.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Founder

I'm guessing that since the on-line edition would be a worldwide megaphone, they really want to keep out any story with a negative angle. If I had a billion dollar enterprise, I probably would do the same thing to protect it's image.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.