Fire Contract

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2020, 11:05 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite5773 View Post
Your amenities fee (monthly) is what covers TVFD (Public Safety). It can be raised and is raised if necessary by each VCCD. Talk to your District Board of Supervisors four o the VCCD website.
Do not believe this to be correct. Sumter County Fire and Villages Fire are funded by the non-ad valorem assessment on your yearly Sumter County tax notice. That fee is currently set at $124
Old 02-15-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
I agree. If staffing and equipment is so short, why do you see the units at fast food places, grocery stores. Doesn't the firehouse have kitchens? Waste of equipment operating hours and fuel. In times of staff shortages staff and equipment need to stay within their response time area. Firefighters are true hero's but they are also primadonas. To get real recognition they need to be in the house ready. That is the job they signed up for and trained for. Then look at operating costs and give the raise that is deserved
I can’t believe you are so short sighted as to not know that they are at fuel stations either getting fuel or possibly doing training, prevention activities,etc. Same with grocery stores, they are buying supplies for their 24 hour shifts meals, fire prevention, etc. Hardly is this a waste! Their response is hardly any different and they are more prepared for a run! This is what EVERY fire department does, no different in the villages. They are being proactive! Wow!!
Old 02-15-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know what their retirement package is, but I think all public pensions should be eliminated and replaced with 401K plans. Pensions are just too expensive. Also, it is impossible to predict the future cost. Almost all private companies, who need to make a profit to survive, have eliminated their pensions.
We have public pensions because of the nature of our jobs. Managed QUITE well as a matter of fact. I’m in the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System and proud of how our retirement has been managed. I can’t help I was a public servant. YOU TOO COULD OF HAD THE SAME OPPORTUNITY!!
Old 02-15-2020, 10:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know what their retirement package is, but I think all public pensions should be eliminated and replaced with 401K plans. Pensions are just too expensive. Also, it is impossible to predict the future cost. Almost all private companies, who need to make a profit to survive, have eliminated their pensions.
Didn't you once brag about receiving more in your federal pension in 10 or 11 years...than you made in salary in your entire career?
Old 02-15-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Didn't you once brag about receiving more in your federal pension in 10 or 11 years...than you made in salary in your entire career?
No, I can’t say that was me!
Old 02-15-2020, 11:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
No, I can’t say that was me!
That question wasn't directed at you.

When looking at a quote, look for the "Originally Posted by__________" and the name after...to see who was quoted.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 02-16-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
We have public pensions because of the nature of our jobs. Managed QUITE well as a matter of fact. I’m in the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System and proud of how our retirement has been managed. I can’t help I was a public servant. YOU TOO COULD OF HAD THE SAME OPPORTUNITY!!
He's admitted that he was a 35 year "public servant."

Click Here

And Here

The thread it came from:

Poke Here

So it seems that the attitude here, is that..."we can afford mine...but not yours."
Old 02-16-2020, 05:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Yes, I do have a Federal pension, but I don't brag about it. I always considered my pay and benefits to be excessive. But, I was not stupid enough to quit my job and settle for another job with less pay and benefits. I never knew anyone who did that. Most people who change jobs, do it to get more pay and benefits. Does that mean I should not be able to have an opinion about how taxpayer money is being spent?
Old 02-16-2020, 11:01 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
I agree. If staffing and equipment is so short, why do you see the units at fast food places, grocery stores. Doesn't the firehouse have kitchens? Waste of equipment operating hours and fuel. In times of staff shortages staff and equipment need to stay within their response time area. Firefighters are true hero's but they are also primadonas. To get real recognition they need to be in the house ready. That is the job they signed up for and trained for. Then look at operating costs and give the raise that is deserved
Maybe the next time you see a first responder crew of ANY TYPE in a fast food place or the grocery store you might pay for their order as a way of saying thanks for their service! Those "primadonas" might be called to your property next!

Closed Thread

Tags
fire, people, responsible, safety, distracted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.