Fire hazard in villages homes

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 06:37 AM

Angry Fire hazard in villages homes

If your house was built after 2010, and particularly if your house was ever part of The Villages Lifestyle Program, you need to check if there is an emergency light above the inside front door. If so, remove the plastic cover and check if it is a Quantum ELM, or ELM2 model manufactured by Lithonia Lighting or Acuity Brands.
There was A FIRE HAZARD RECALL notice issued by the manufacturer and The Consumer Products Safety Commission in May, 2014. This recall was never communicated to the affected residents by the developer or his electrical contractors.
If your home has one of these lights contact the manufacturer for a replacement circuit board. 800-705-7378.
Catalog Numbers included in recall:

ELM ELM2
ELM CSR ELM2 B
ELM DL ELM2 DL
ELM2 USPOM ELM2 B DL
ELM2 NOM ELM2 220-240V 60HZ
NOTE: The LED, SD (Self Diagnostic), and WRS (Wireless Reporting System) version of this product is not included in the recall.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie1944 View Post
If your house was built after 2010, and particularly if your house was ever part of The Villages Lifestyle Program, you need to check if there is an emergency light above the inside front door. If so, remove the plastic cover and check if it is a Quantum ELM, or ELM2 model manufactured by Lithonia Lighting or Acuity Brands.
There was A FIRE HAZARD RECALL notice issued by the manufacturer and The Consumer Products Safety Commission in May, 2014. This recall was never communicated to the affected residents by the developer or his electrical contractors.
If your home has one of these lights contact the manufacturer for a replacement circuit board. 800-705-7378.

ELM ELM2
ELM CSR ELM2 B
ELM DL ELM2 DL
ELM2 USPOM ELM2 B DL
NOTE: The LED, SD (Self Diagnostic), and WRS (Wireless Reporting System) version of this product is not included in the recall.
I have NEVER seen a white, utilitarian flashing light like this installed by the front door or anywhere in any of the Villages homes I have visited. Have you???
Old 05-20-2019, 07:40 AM
Sage

Gracie, the patio villas have them.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 AM

Yes I have and it's in my house. And EVERY courtyard villa in The Eleanor Villas, and many others. Just because you personally haven't seen one doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Gracie, the patio villas have them.
My Patio Villa doesn't have one.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:16 PM
Platinum member

I believe egress lighting is required by codeine commercial buildings, for rental units, such as the Lifestyle Program, etc.

I don't believe it is required in the case of a house/villa/etc, simply being built after 2010, which is not intended for one of the purposes listed above.

My house, built in 2014, does not have one.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:55 PM
Sage

Location: Smithville (Kansas City) Mo./ Megan Villas, Sanibel TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie1944 View Post

ELM ELM2
ELM CSR ELM2 B
ELM DL ELM2 DL
ELM2 USPOM ELM2 B DL
As they say, "No good deed goes unpunished".
Old 05-20-2019, 07:40 PM
Sage

OP, perhaps you can contact the fire department and they can do safety checks like they do for fire/smoke detectors. At lease get them the info, as they may be able to trace which homes have this equipment.
On a side note, thank you for pointing this out.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:20 PM

Perhaps you should read my post more thoroughly. Note that I specifically mentioned The Lifestyle Program. That fact that you are not affected doesn't negate the warning one iota.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:29 PM
Sage

I still do not think it was a cover-up or a willful exclusion of negative facts.

Here is what I found.

Lithonia Lighting Recalls Emergency Lights | CPSC.gov

I am sorry I seemed skeptical. I truly hope that all of them have now been removed or repaired. I think calling the Fire Department to check is a very good suggestion.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-22-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
elm2, elm, recall, hazard, house