Fire Pit

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Platinum member
Default Fire Pit

I want a nice cozy fire pit to use on my screened in lanai. I know that a real fire pit burning logs is not good because of the smoke, etc. How about one that burns gel? How about one that burns propane? Would these work? Anyone have any experience with this. I'd prefer to not install something that would require a vent pipe with it. Help please.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Platinum member

There is a wide range of propane firepits available - size, design, etc. I was looking for something that puts out heat and fire but not too expensive or large.

I got this one through amazon.com - I am happy with it. It is connected to a standard propane tank (as with a gas grill) using a 6 ft hose. $117.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Heininger-5995-Portable-Propane-Outdoor/dp/B008JORKP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393696934&sr=8-1&keywords=propane+firepit[/ame]
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	firepit.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	34545  

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 03-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Platinum member

I got a propane one at Walmart online. Good prices.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Veteran member

We use the gel fire burners inside of our gazebo and it does not leave black marks on the material. If you get a larger burner you get a nice size flame and we normally use a few of them. The only down side is the gel is $12 a bottle and I can get two nights of filling both burners but for us its worth the $6 a night.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:33 PM

We went with a propane unit, takes the same size tank as our grill. There is a ledge around the pit that you can rest a plate or glass on.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Platinum member

Thank you for the responses. I want to use it more for ambiance than heat, but I'm glad to know that both propane and gel burn clean and will work inside the lanai.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Gold member

Propane will produce carbon monoxide and from what I understand should not be used in an inclosed area. Always read the safety warnings on any product that uses a flame.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Gold member

We got one from Lowe's a couple of years ago that is a table when not in use. We really like it but it isn't easy to switch out the small propane tank. The tank is hidden in a cylinder between the legs and it takes two of us to switch the small tanks!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
We got one from Lowe's a couple of years ago that is a table when not in use. We really like it but it isn't easy to switch out the small propane tank. The tank is hidden in a cylinder between the legs and it takes two of us to switch the small tanks!
We ordered a fire pit group from Home Depot that has 4 chairs and is a table when not in use. It hasn't come yet but we would like to use it in our birdcage with Dura Flame logs. Has anyone used those in their fire pits and do they give off a good flame?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Michiganders View Post
We ordered a fire pit group from Home Depot that has 4 chairs and is a table when not in use. It hasn't come yet but we would like to use it in our birdcage with Dura Flame logs. Has anyone used those in their fire pits and do they give off a good flame?
I could be wrong, but I think the Dura Flame logs will produce too much smoke for your enjoyment. Also, the smoke might cause problems with the screen mesh of your birdcage.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-02-2014, 01:12 AM
Default reply

I am on oxygen 24/7 and many more here in the village are on oxygen.
I would consider this if someone in your area is on oxygen. I haven't had any problems here and not sure how I would handle it if I do.
I had a nice Fireplace back north but had to stop using it because of the smoke.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.