Fire Protection Assessment

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2021, 01:55 PM
Default Fire Protection Assessment

Hi, I just received a notification from Sumter County that my fire protection assessment will be increased from $125 to $360. Is this real? 3 times of the current assessment? They said I have to attend the meeting to appeal. Is this one of the scams that only attending people get to stay with the current rate and snowbirds will be assessed 3 times higher rate? Please advise.. SC
Old 03-22-2021, 02:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbang View Post
Hi, I just received a notification from Sumter County that my fire protection assessment will be increased from $125 to $360. Is this real? 3 times of the current assessment? They said I have to attend the meeting to appeal. Is this one of the scams that only attending people get to stay with the current rate and snowbirds will be assessed 3 times higher rate? Please advise.. SC
More homes require more fire stations. I don't like unnecessary taxes any more than the other person but to me a tax for fire protection is a necessary tax I can live with. You will pay for it one way or the other, through an assessment or higher property taxes. Nothing is free that I have found so far.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Not what my notice said.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:21 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
What it states is they are increasing the maximum allowable assessment which has not been changed for 12 or 13 years. When the time comes to actually increase your assessment there isn't much you can do about it, meeting or no meeting. A bigger deal in my opinion is the 3.8 million dollar surplus in Wildwood tax revenue. What are they doing with it and will they lower our property taxes? They will find somewhere to spend it and will most likely to lower our taxes.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,692 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
More homes require more fire stations. I don't like unnecessary taxes any more than the other person but to me a tax for fire protection is a necessary tax I can live with. You will pay for it one way or the other, through an assessment or higher property taxes. Nothing is free that I have found so far.
I agree that more houses would require more fire stations. But, why would that result in a higher individual assessment if there are more homeowners to pay for the fire stations? I don't see a lot of houses burning down in The Villages. Who determines how many fire stations we really need?
Old 03-22-2021, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

Of all the price increases I object to, fire fighters aren’t one of them. They do a lot more than just put out fires. Last year I ate something and I was chocking on it. I dialed for help, couldn’t even talk, but firemen were at my home within minutes. By then I was able to breathe and open the door for them. I will always be thankful that they came to help. It reminded me of my aunt who at a young age chocked to death on a chicken bone she accidentally swallowed.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree that more houses would require more fire stations. But, why would that result in a higher individual assessment if there are more homeowners to pay for the fire stations? I don't see a lot of houses burning down in The Villages. Who determines how many fire stations we really need?
Salaries, Insurance, equipment purchase and maintenance, Building maintenance are a few of the things whose costs increase each year. I believe the fire stations are built and staffed based on the number of houses so the allocations should be the same regardless.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-22-2021, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,692 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Salaries, Insurance, equipment purchase and maintenance, Building maintenance are a few of the things whose costs increase each year. I believe the fire stations are built and staffed based on the number of houses so the allocations should be the same regardless.
I think they should be built and staffed based on the number of fires, not on the number of houses. It seems to me that there aren't very many house fires occurring in The Villages.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,056 Times in 2,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Don’t more homes mean more households will be paying for fire protection? Why do existing residents rates need to potentially go up 3X to cover the increased needs?
Old 03-23-2021, 05:08 AM

The notice says there will be a hearing for public comment. This is required by law. It doesn't say our assessment is going up - it says they want to raise the ceiling in the event their future budgets require the extra money, and to do that, they must hold a public hearing. I believe there are formulas that outline parameters for recommended fire protection based on area and density; whether these are followed in TV when they decide to put up a new station or not, I'm not sure - it would be a good question to ask the commissioners!
Old 03-23-2021, 05:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
I have an ex-brother-in-law who is a Libertarian. He believes that the fire departments should be privatized. People could decide whether or not they want to pay for fire protection. If they want it, they would pay a yearly fee, rather like insurance, say $350 a year. This would pay the costs of running the fire department, including salaries, supplies, and equipment. If there was a fire in the homes of those people, the fire department would come put it out. No further charge. Essentially, all the subscribers chip in to cover the costs.

However, those who didn’t want to pay the $350 a year could opt out and pay nothing. But if there was a fire, the fire department would show up and keep the homes of the neighbors safe. If the homeowner without coverage refused to sign the paperwork, the burning house would burn to the ground. If the homeowner did sign, the home would be saved if possible, but the homeowner would receive a fair bill from the fire department that includes all costs for putting out the fire, for training, for insurance, for hospital costs, etc. Say a minimum of $10,000, and easily ten times that amount.

He also believes that police protection should be for those who pay for it. There’s a burglary at your house? If you haven’t paid for police insurance and want help, you get billed for, say, the detectives, the court case, etc. I don’t agree with him.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:15 AM
Default Fire Assessment Fees

Quote:
I think they should be built and staffed based on the number of fires, not on the number of houses. It seems to me that there aren't very many house fires occurring in The Villages.
Why almost 300% ? Yes, costs go up. And Yes we want good fireman, but let's be reasonable and not emotional.

"Not many house fires in The Villages" - TRUE.

Open to opinion - Do they really need to send a fire engine (sometimes with Emergency truck) to EVERY fender-bender on the roads ? This constitutes the majority of "runs" for the fire trucks. That catch-all term "With an abundance of caution" does not set well with me.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:29 AM

See how far the fire house and hydrants are from your home. If they are very close, your home owners insurance should be decreased which might offset the tax increase.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:48 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Good Point - 86% of FD runs are for medical issues, However your impact fees & monthly fees should be well on the way of paying for them.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:07 AM

What a ridiculous idea. Communities need fire protection. If you are not willing to pay for it, you can move.
Closed Thread

Tags
assessment, fire, rate, current, protection

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.