Firefighters

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2017, 06:55 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbanker View Post
I would consider that comparing apples to oranges.

Lets be fair, minimum wage jobs don't pay a guy wages while he sleeps, shops, or joy rides around in expensive equipment.

Who is good at math on here??

EMTs raised to $40,000 from $33,600 per year...is 20% increase! That is an awfully big increase compared to the
Forbes forecasted "cost of living adjustment" of 3% for 2017. (COLA for 2016 was zilch)

The firefighters would also like to see the starting salary for a paramedic increased to $50,000 and a starting lieutenant’s pay raised to $57,500...What are the current salaries for these positions?
They are frequently woken up in the middle of the night which wreaks havoc with on their systems. The only shopping that I know of is to a fast food place or supermarket to buy food. Joy rides were to check hydrants or smoke alarms or service calls. They also work weekends and holidays. My husband is a retired FF so I know that this is misinformation.

If you lived on a salary of 33000 a year it was many years ago and probably did not involve life or death situations. Personally I made much more than this to sit in front of a computer.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I haven't seen any information on what the impact on us would be if the raises would be put into effect. Has there been any information on what the total amount of an increase would be for The Villages? At 50,000 homes would an increease of $10.00 or $20.00 per house per year cover it? Seems like a small amount of money per household considering how valuable these folks are to our lives.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-27-2017, 08:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
They are frequently woken up in the middle of the night which wreaks havoc with on their systems. The only shopping that I know of is to a fast food place or supermarket to buy food. Joy rides were to check hydrants or smoke alarms or service calls. They also work weekends and holidays. My husband is a retired FF so I know that this is misinformation.

If you lived on a salary of 33000 a year it was many years ago and probably did not involve life or death situations. Personally I made much more than this to sit in front of a computer.
A solution to the havoc wreaked on their system would be to abolish the current practice of working 24 on and 48 off. They could go to 3 shifts, and therefore nobody is getting paid while they sleep and nobody is being woke up.

You must have FORGOT about the joy rides to Home Depot, Walmart, and similar places. I have personally witnessed them park the fire truck (the piece of expensive equipment that has a long lead time if it is damaged in an accident) in the parking lot and wander around the store wasting time. Go ahead and claim they are there on official business, and that is why they are looking at car washing supplies...

People in retail, utilities, and others work weekends and holidays...they would love a 20% pay increase too!

When my salary was $33K a year I was not getting paid to sleep, shop, joy ride in expensive equipment, nor sit in front of a computer.

20% pay increase in one year is a ridiculous amount to ask for!
Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 PM
Gold member

I think the concern or dialog should also include the legacy costs as it should with all public sector employee salaries. The Villages is one of the richest communities in the US where many cities and states are cutting back on services and infrastructure spending because of promises made to public sector employees they are struggling to meet. The public sector often pays retirement benefits for 30 to 40 years or more. What is the real cost of a $10,000 increase in salary.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:19 PM
fw102807

Quote:
A solution to the havoc wreaked on their system would be to abolish the current practice of working 24 on and 48 off. They could go to 3 shifts, and therefore nobody is getting paid while they sleep and nobody is being woke up.

You must have FORGOT about the joy rides to Home Depot, Walmart, and similar places. I have personally witnessed them park the fire truck (the piece of expensive equipment that has a long lead time if it is damaged in an accident) in the parking lot and wander around the store wasting time. Go ahead and claim they are there on official business, and that is why they are looking at car washing supplies...

People in retail, utilities, and others work weekends and holidays...they would love a 20% pay increase too!

When my salary was $33K a year I was not getting paid to sleep, shop, joy ride in expensive equipment, nor sit in front of a computer.

20% pay increase in one year is a ridiculous amount to ask for!
It would be a waste of time to argue with you. I can just hope that other people will know better.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I haven't seen any information on what the impact on us would be if the raises would be put into effect. Has there been any information on what the total amount of an increase would be for The Villages? At 50,000 homes would an increease of $10.00 or $20.00 per house per year cover it? Seems like a small amount of money per household considering how valuable these folks are to our lives.
Apparently you have not seen the discussion on spending $3.00 per rooftop to increase safety on the MMPs. Look it up. You would be surprised how our residents oppose increases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
I think the concern or dialog should also include the legacy costs as it should with all public sector employee salaries. The Villages is one of the richest communities in the US where many cities and states are cutting back on services and infrastructure spending because of promises made to public sector employees they are struggling to meet. The public sector often pays retirement benefits for 30 to 40 years or more. What is the real cost of a $10,000 increase in salary.
I think we have all agreed that safety personnel deserves an increase. I've seen in the posts where the increase would be from 33k to 40k per year. I suspect this increase is being pushed by the Union. (Are The Villages firefighters even unionized?) This increase will not happen, but what is reasonable? How are the wages of The Villages compared to the surrounding communities? What will it take to catch them up or make The Villages highest paid department in the area? These are the questions I would like to see answered.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
the fire truck (the piece of expensive equipment) .... they are looking at car washing supplies
Those two statements don't click together in your mind? My small town volunteer company washed the trucks whenever they were used. At least once a week.

Beside which, their most recent report (2013) indicates nearly 15,000 calls. Roughly 150 fire related. 9,000 medical related. 3,800 service calls. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of calls is now over 20,000 per year. Add in training time and I can guarantee you that they are busy. Read the reports.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
It would be a waste of time to argue with you. I can just hope that other people will know better.
It would be! And most do know better.

dirtbaggers that don't know what they are talking about should keep quiet.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:24 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!!! I volunteered in Pennsylvania for 26 years and it takes dedication of ones self and their family.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:52 AM
Sage

$33K, is a joke--there are lots of retired firefighter and police who live in the villages, if they made what the villages fire fighters are paid, they would not be living here--NYC pensions are based on ONE high year--6 figure pensions are common place-- the only difference is living where public unions have clout.

NJ teachers and administrators make double or triple what their counterparts in Fl--again--public unions

People should be paid what they are worth-not for the leverage their unions have--A fire fighter or policer who puts their lives on the line deserves much better pay

than a roofer or a landscaper

Having been a member of a volunteer FD who lost a member whose real job was a professional firefighter--no one should deny any firefighter a raise & @40K --its still not enough
Old 02-28-2017, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I am surprised to find out that you are married to the firefighter and not the firefighter.

Being awakened in the middle of the night...havoc with their systems. NOT a good debate argument. Actually none of the responses above are good debate responses for this situation. I also think that you must think we as Villagers can do anything about this issue. Are you really the wife of a RETIRED Fire Fighter or one who is now employed??? It FEELS to me that you have a dog in this fight.

I am not trying to embarrass you, just give you some tips on debate and presenting information in order to effectively sway the reader or listener.

Most of us who live here are very supportive of First Responders.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!!! I volunteered in Pennsylvania for 26 years and it takes dedication of ones self and their family.
Oh, because I am not in your firefighter cheering club you don't feel my opinion should be heard...

I am sure you learned the real reason why you volunteered during the psychological testing. You could not just drive past a fire, so you might as well be going there for a purpose.

The teachers have a tough job, the grounds keepers have a tough job, the utilities workers have a tough job, the bartenders down at the square have a tough job...we want to attract the best at all those positions too, lets give them all 20% more salary in a year!!!!

That is a ridiculous amount to ask for in one year, and no it is not going to attract any better candidates - because the people they already have (the ones working for 33K a year) are not going to be fired to make room for better personnel.

This is not NY, this is not PA...the salaries are lower here and so is the costs to live here. Stop trying to ruin it by matching salaries they had up north, where cost of living was so high we retired here.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
$33K, is a joke--there are lots of retired firefighter and police who live in the villages, if they made what the villages fire fighters are paid, they would not be living here--NYC pensions are based on ONE high year--6 figure pensions are common place-- the only difference is living where public unions have clout.

NJ teachers and administrators make double or triple what their counterparts in Fl--again--public unions

People should be paid what they are worth-not for the leverage their unions have--A fire fighter or policer who puts their lives on the line deserves much better pay

than a roofer or a landscaper

Having been a member of a volunteer FD who lost a member whose real job was a professional firefighter--no one should deny any firefighter a raise & @40K --its still not enough
AMEN to that. We lost a few guys in our Volunteer Dept. We also had several Paid guys from FDNY who always offered help & advice in training. I remember after 9/11 how many paid guys who were also Vollies answered their last call. The Funerals were non stop. We trained hard and did the job that was needed. Some who don't know about the job should not post comments period. They deserve a raise in both Salary & Pension. Look at your tax bill the Fire Service tax is a joke.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:26 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
. Are you really the wife of a RETIRED Fire Fighter or one who is now employed??? It FEELS to me that you have a dog in this fight.
My husband is a 21 year veteran who retired in 2003. I have no dog in this fight but am just upset that SOME people think it is OK to pay an EMT just barely more than a hamburger flipper.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
My husband is a 21 year veteran who retired in 2003. I have no dog in this fight but am just upset that SOME people think it is OK to pay an EMT just barely more than a hamburger flipper.
Please thank him for his service and give him a hug. Perhaps you shouldn't run for office any time soon.

Tags
pay, people, firefighters, dollars, responders

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.