Rain Sensors

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Platinum member
Question Rain Sensors

We have had around a half-inch of rain today. Our neighbor is gone and their system is set for twice a week. Why on earth would the sprinkler system come on at the scheduled time today? I have the same problem, so I just leave the system off and then run Manual - All Stations when necessary.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."

Last edited by dillywho; 06-29-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 PM

Many controllers have a sensor bypass position. Maybe theirs was set to that position. So, even if the sensor was soaked, the sprinklers would come on.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacam View Post
Many controllers have a sensor bypass position. Maybe theirs was set to that position. So, even if the sensor was soaked, the sprinklers would come on.
Also, if the sensors are old and the insides have dried out from the sun, they will run anyway.

They need to be checked when the sprinklers come on after a rain storm and the insides replaced.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Platinum member

Thanks ya'll. I checked with him and the bypass has not be used any. We didn't realize that the innerds could dry out and have to be replaced, but that makes sense.

Next question. Is that a DYI or do you have to have someone else do it? Since they are gone, it will have to be someone else...I'm not a good DYI'er and certainly not if it involves ladders. Who do you call?
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Gold member

The sensor might just reduce the time, but not turn off the system.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:50 AM
Founder

My sensor didn't work for a long time and I couldn't figure out why. Finally I looked inside the control box and found that the installers left a jumper wire between the switch terminals that lead to the sensor. With a screw driver, I loosened the screws, removed the 1/4 inch long jumper wire and voila, the sensor now works fine.

JLK
Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 AM
Gold member

I bought the replacement part for my sensor at Florida Irrigation Supply on 441 just north of TV. It was around 6.00 if I remember correctly.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Thanks ya'll. I checked with him and the bypass has not be used any. We didn't realize that the innerds could dry out and have to be replaced, but that makes sense.

Next question. Is that a DYI or do you have to have someone else do it? Since they are gone, it will have to be someone else...I'm not a good DYI'er and certainly not if it involves ladders. Who do you call?
The controller for my solar sync (rain sensor) failed. This is a seperate controller which is behind the regular irrigation controller. The house is just over a year old so I wasn't happy to be having problems. We have a Hunter system.
I called Jim Baumgartner and he took care of it. Jim's number is 352-504-2317
He's a good guy who knows everything about irrigation systems.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:24 AM
Platinum member

It's also possible that the installer didn't even hook up the sensor. That's what happened to ours. If it's a fairly new house, that could be the problem. The builders leave them off so the system will run and give the landscape water without relying on the sensor until the house is sold.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Gold member

This was a really good post - Now I will know what to look for when we get back. Thanks all!
Old 07-03-2011, 06:15 PM

just like weed mat...they make the home owner feel good, cost money and do not work
Old 07-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKisa View Post
just like weed mat...they make the home owner feel good, cost money and do not work
I have found their reliability something to be desired. Keep in mind they depend on moisture to activate them. In this hot Florida sun they dry out quickly. If it rains today by late tomorrow they may have dried out enough to permit the sprinklers to operate.

Like another poster here, I operate mine manually. I also manually operate a snowbird neighbor's manually. I watch our lawns and when they start to show stress I turn them on and turn them off the next day.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.