is there a mosquito control program in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2015, 07:24 PM
Veteran member
Default is there a mosquito control program in TV?

I grew up in Key West and have lived in Jax. for 37 years. Both cities had spraying programs. Today in Dunedin, I watched over twenty mosquitoes sitting on my screen mid afternoon and we don't live on a pond (the nearest is several hundred feet away).
Old 01-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Yes, it's operated by the county.
Google, Sumter county Mosquito Control Department.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

thanks
Old 01-19-2015, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

thanks don
Old 01-20-2015, 12:29 AM
Gold member

I have noticed in the warmer months that I have seen a pick up truck mounted with a spray gun driving up and down my streets ,late at night spraying.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:20 AM
Location: Village of Dunedin, Keller Tx, Tulsa Ok, Chicago Il, Milwaukee Wi

I'm also in Dunedin and have noticed the problem in the past. We contacted the county to spray our street about six weeks ago. They do spray around neighborhood streets 10 or so feet in past the curbs, however as the county rep mentioned to me there is nothing for the pond, wetlands, etc. He was quick to get a regional map out showing how many wetland areas surround us. I asked why the county isn't doing arial spraying. He just said they don't own a plane, which seemed a nonsensical response as I'm sure few do and instead contract the service out. At dusk they can be miserable!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcsooner View Post
I'm also in Dunedin and have noticed the problem in the past. We contacted the county to spray our street about six weeks ago. They do spray around neighborhood streets 10 or so feet in past the curbs, however as the county rep mentioned to me there is nothing for the pond, wetlands, etc. He was quick to get a regional map out showing how many wetland areas surround us. I asked why the county isn't doing arial spraying. He just said they don't own a plane, which seemed a nonsensical response as I'm sure few do and instead contract the service out. At dusk they can be miserable!
I can imagine the response to the first plane to begin spraying. You think dog poop gets a lot of attention.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Eternal Member

I often go to Lake Sumter Landing for the evening entertainment. You would think that on a warm summer night that the mosquitoes would be feasting on the people on the square - being that close to a lake and being in Florida. No mosquitoes at all! I love it.

Back when it was still warm (October?), I went to Hurricane's in Tavares for dinner at sundown. Sat outside and as the sun went down, the mosquitoes came out - thick. Many, many mosquito bites. I had Deep Woods Off in my car but because of no Village mosquitoes, I just did not think of it as a necessity. Next time - I WILL use the Deep Woods Off!!

Yes, I can imagine what kind of uproar would happen if aerial spraying took place here. The current spraying is great. Keep it up!
Old 01-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Sage

Have to ask the OP....do you live near a marsh-y area?? We've been here, going on six years and rarely have seen mosquitos and flies. So we know that "someone" is taking care of this issue.

Perhaps "bugging" (no pun intended) the county will get them out more often with their spraying. Your village is one of the new ones too, so perhaps that is a factor.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:16 PM
Veteran member

I sent an email. Not having aerial spraying is absurd. Both the Keys and Duval County do it. A few cases of West Nile or Dengue Fever would motivate them. The nearest retention pond is 300 or more feet away.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 PM

After living in Minnesota (where mosquitos are so large they need license plates) we were aware to look for any ponds or place of stagnant water. Those would be prime location for breeding mosquitos.

In addition to the diseases listed earlier, mosquitos can carry heartworm to be spread to our canine friends.

Mosquitos are more than an mere irritant.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Location: Village of Dunedin, Keller Tx, Tulsa Ok, Chicago Il, Milwaukee Wi

Mosquito spraying truck meandering through Dunedin @ 7:45PM tonight.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcsooner View Post
Mosquito spraying truck meandering through Dunedin @ 7:45PM tonight.
I thought I heard it....maybe my email worked
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.