Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   First confirmed COVID-19 case in Lake County (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/first-confirmed-covid-19-case-lake-county-303921/)

Carolyn Ramler 03-17-2020 08:34 AM

Are the 131 cases in Fl ? No clarification on the comment.

Love2Swim 03-17-2020 08:37 AM

Positive Cases of COVID-19
as of 7:00 p.m. ET 3/16/2020

Confirmed Cases in Florida Residents
Confirmed by DOH
Tested by private labs
Characteristics of Florida Resident Cases

FL resident diagnosed & isolated out of state*
Deaths
Cases in Non-Florida Residents
Confirmed by DOH
Tested by private labs

Total Cases Overview
Traveled
Contact with confirmed case
Travel & contact with confirmed case
Under Investigation

B767drvr 03-17-2020 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolyn Ramler (Post 1728826)
Are the 131 cases in Fl ? No clarification on the comment.

Up to 160 now and YES, they are all in FL.

COVID-19 | Florida Department of Health

Brynnie 03-17-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritabob (Post 1728613)
I can't believe the hysteria this virus is causing. The end of the world must be coming.

Our comeuppance?

asianthree 03-17-2020 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadaboutgal (Post 1728635)
Hippa rights only pertain to a specific named person's medical condition or records. Not done in this case.
Also, I know someone who works at The Villages Hospital who told of at least 2 cases seen at the hospital today.

Any employee who spouts off information, that is not a designated spokesperson should be fired. It’s what fuels panic, and the unknown.

We were reminded that no information is discussed even in the halls, much less to a random person, who then can post any hear say.

We also received an email warning immediate dismissal would be warranted, for violating any named or unnamed case.

APovi 03-17-2020 08:57 AM

"Covid-19" Can it be that simple?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todayscoolfacts (Post 1728499)
Just saw on the news that a woman in the Lady Lake area was tested positive for coronavirus. The Florida Department of Health say her case is travel related. Stay healthy everyone!

If I stay the recommended "6-feet' distance from other people AND I never touch my face - Am I 'immune' from infection?
It can't be that simple - Can it?
If not, how else can I get infected?:
:spoken:

leiban20 03-17-2020 09:06 AM

coronavrius

Quote:

Just saw on the news that a woman in the Lady Lake area was tested positive for coronavirus. The Florida Department of Health say her case is travel related. Stay healthy everyone!

yes is travel related but can be spread out already to another people
here in lake county

airstreamingypsy 03-17-2020 09:08 AM

160 confirmed cases in Florida and probably 1,000s of unconfirmed cases. People walking around with either no symptoms yet, or symptoms they think are allergies or a cold. Seriously, 1,000s.

fraurose 03-17-2020 09:19 AM

Let’s be smart !

Let’s be smart , we need to stay Home so the Virus won’t spread more . It only Makes common sense .
Too many people walking around without knowing they have the virus this is just the beginning . Listen to the Government , you should be happy you hear all these these warnings......
Follow them !

Sherrilee 03-17-2020 09:20 AM

Someone stated “end of world”

I would say possibly end of the elderly generation if China continues to limit export of our medications. Several factories there are closed and now there are issues with us continuing to get other antibiotics with are 80 percent of ingredients made from China. They are hitting us when we are vulnerable.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-17-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graspher (Post 1728519)
It’s upon us...

Exactly!!!

It seems that there are two extreme reactions that some people are having. One extreme is that people are terrified, buying up toilet paper and hoarding goods. The other is that people think that this is all nothing or some big government conspiracy and are going to try to keep living their lives as if nothing is happening.

Both of these positions are going to help this virus to spread. And it will spread.

What we can do is to follow the WHO, CDC and administration task force recommendations and wash our hands frequently and stay six feet away from other people. And that is all we can do.

The fact that some people aren't going to do this is what is going to make it spread faster.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-17-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 1728565)
Hmmmm……..Quarantine 330,000,000 individuals because of 3,487 cases and 63 deaths nationwide?? I suppose that is one point of view, but in that case why don't we quarantine 330,000,000 every year from Dec-April for the 40,000,000 cases and 36.000 deaths from influenza
Now, if we over-react and drive the nation or the world into a global depression, how many MILLIONS of lives will that take?

Please don't apply for the jobs of national health advisor, surgeon general, or director of the CDC

Let me post this once instead of replying to all of the posts from my friends who keep comparing CoVid-19 to the flu. The reasons that this is different from recent outbreaks of influenza is that #1, we have a very effective vaccine for influenza that we don't have for CoVid-19. The current flu season we have had 30 million reported cases of the flu. Imagine if we didn't have a vaccine. That is what we are looking at. Without a vaccination we would be having the same panic over the flu.
#2, we have anti-viral medications that are very effective against most common strains of influenza. In spite of that we have had at least 12,000 and possibly as many as 30,000 deaths from the flu. We have no medications what whatsoever to fight against CoVid-19. If we don't start taking preventative measures who knows how many will die?
#3, When a person contracts the flu, symptoms usually show up immediately. The person that gets it takes actions to get medications and stay away from friends and family. When CoVid-19 is contracted, symptoms don't show up for up to two weeks. Although we currently know how many cases have been reported of CoVid-19, we really have no idea how many people in this country have it right now. It could be in the millions. Every person that you see is a possible carrier.
This is very different from the flu. It is different from the H1N1 (Swine Flu ) that went around a few years ago. This is the worst threat to us as a people since the 1918 pandemic where 1/3 of the world's population became infected and 50 million died.
Lastly, we don't know what the long term affects of this disease. While it's true that most people that contract it have flu like symptoms for a week or so, we don't know if those people are permanently affected. Will they become immune to it in the future or will it recur in them every year?
This is not like the influenza that we see every year. It is very, very different.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-17-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SacDQ (Post 1728693)
I suggest you search the web for the 1918 Spanish influence to see what a real pandemic looks like! We’re no where near that (YET)

But with no vaccination or medications available, I don't think that it's inconceivable that this could turn into a similar situation.

The reason that the flu doesn't threaten us every year like it did in 1918 is because vaccinations and medications have been developed to prevent it.

Of course they didn't have the communication systems in 1918 that we have now, but I wonder if some people were saying, "We're nowhere near a pandemic at this point" back then?

billethkid 03-17-2020 09:49 AM

Just think of the reporting and accumulation lag time in 1918.
We have a blessing/curse of almost instantaneous availability.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 03-17-2020 09:57 AM

Speaking of martial law, what does it take in this country to declare martial law? Can the president do this on his own or does it need to be an act of congress?

golfing eagles 03-17-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B767drvr (Post 1728801)
I'll try to elucidate you golfing eagles.

1. Dr. Fauci says the president has been enacting much of what he recommends.

2. Dr. Fauci recommends a nationwide quarantine (much like Italy).

3. The president said multiple times in yesterday's news conference that he is indeed considering it, but not immediately.

4. Your OPINION was that a nationwide quarantine (as Dr. Fauci is urging) would result in a "global depression and millions of deaths".

5. YOU accuse ME of making "misinformative posts that promote panic".

6. :ohdear:

To set the record straight, I suggested that an over-response RISKS a worldwide recession---that is NOT an OPINION, just a statement of a possibility.

I did not accuse YOU of misinformation, just a large number of posts on this subject

And BTW, I know Tony Fauci, do you?????

tuttysal1 03-17-2020 12:18 PM

If you are concerned about businesses and amenities staying open you can just stay away. Please don't try to force your views and concerns on others!

eyc234 03-17-2020 12:36 PM

So how do you impose this quarantine? Who do you test and not test? How many times do you test? When people begin to starve do you lift the quarantine? Why is it okay to hoard from other citizens but if you raise prices in a crisis you are fined and could be arrested? Why are politicians speaking to the country and not Drs? With all the modern communication, data collection ability and ability to share data why can we not get a 95% correct reporting?

Have about a million more questions, what ifs, how do we get there and so on. Most of the talk here does nothing and is highly suspect on truth and fact. Be safe, follow basic intelligent medical practices and make decisions on your needs. Understand that everyone is different and can make choices that are best for themselves that does not hurt others. Personally not afraid of the virus but extremely more worried about being a carrier that causes harm to others.

roscoguy 03-17-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1728578)
The Italian model started with Chinese investors buying up much of the leather and textile businesses located in Northern Italy. Then the Italians allowed about 100,000 Chinese from the Wuhan area to work in Northern Italy at these facilities. The Italians even established nonstop flights between Milan and Wuhan. When this virus started infecting people in the area some nut job Italian politician encouraged Italian folks to "hug a Chinese". It all went downhill from there.

So do you actually have any support for the alternative facts above? There sure isn't any in the article that GoodLife offered a link to. Instead, it says that the workers came from Wenzhou, a port city over 500 miles from Wuhan. It further states that "More than ten per cent of Prato’s two hundred thousand legal residents are Chinese." - a far cry from 100,000. The non-stop flights? Actually "between Wenzhou and Rome". Also missing from the NewYorker article is any mention whatsoever of Wuhan.

I'm afraid that this kind of looks like another case of reckless misinformation or rumor-mongering regarding the COVID-19 virus. :shocked:

billethkid 03-17-2020 01:56 PM

At some point we will have to set aside the debate(s) of what was or wasn't.

And join the here and now and offer more dialogue of how we can all help make the suppression of the virus work. The actions the government has taken and will take are nothing more than common sense.....however as we all know there is too high of a percent of those who will not implement the common sense, hence enforcement becomes a necessity. Then and only then will the beaches and bars and streets be cleared and maintained.

Check the cameras on the squares....they are 99% empty.
We, for the most part, have a vested interest and comply.

I wish there were cameras on the beaches, the view is probably much different.

As on the news yesterday a mother with her school break children said they had no intention of cancelling. They were not worried because they were healthy and younger.

....that is why martial enforcement becomes necessary
....for the selfish/stupid/inconsiderate!!

KeithDB 03-17-2020 02:12 PM

Moments ago I received an email from The Villages entitled "An Important Message from Our Chief Medical Officer Regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19)." The message further explains why none have yet to test positive in The Villages. I'll quote directly from the email.

Quote:

Testing kits will be available at The Villages Health Care Centers very soon. Only ten (10) kits per care center will be available at a time, and will be given to patients who exhibit symptoms per CDC guidelines.
Please note that the availability of testing kits is STILL in the future sense. They STILL don't have any. The believe they will get some "very soon" without saying what "very soon" means. Even then they will be limited to just ten per hospital allowing them to be used only on those the CDC defines as eligible based on their symptoms. A week ago the President told you that if your doctor ordered a test you could have it done. Still not true.

The Florida Department of Health has some interesting statistics regarding testing. Here are the numbers.

Total Tests Performed = 2004
Positive Results = 192
Negative Results = 940
Results Still Pending = 872

If you add Positive Results and Negative Results together you get the total number of tests performed and resolved. That number is 1132 of which 192 were positive for positive results rate of 17%. If you apply that to the 872 results still pending the expectation would be about 148 more would test positive, without a single new test being performed.

Of course one of the theories is that the more testing gets done the lower that percentage of positives will be. At least with the limited data I have, not only is that theory not supported but the reverse is true. Yesterday I noted the above figures as follows.

Total Tests Performed = 1824
Positive Results = 160
Negative Results = 816
Results Still Pending = 848

So if you do the subtraction on this between yesterday and today an additional 156 tests were resolved. Of these 32 were positive. That's positive test rate of 20.5%. So the most recent tests resolved are actually above the overall positive test rate. If the more recent data is used then the expected positives for the 872 results still pending is about 179 more positives without a single additional test being performed. That's nearly the total number of positives now, without a single additional test being performed.

ItsALLaboutTheLOVE 03-17-2020 03:40 PM

Hmmmm? This is confusing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodLife (Post 1728603)
[newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/16/the-chinese-workers-who-assemble-designer-bags-in-tuscany]The Chinese Workers Who Assemble Designer Bags in Tuscany | The New Yorker[/url]

1- The New Yorker article you referred to was written 2 years ago. Before the virus happened.
2- Also the entire article is about how in the 80s, Chinese workers came over to work in sweatshops for high end fashion designers in Italy.

Everything you mentioned in your post has nothing to do with THIS NYer article. Do you have other evidence about a hundred thousand Chinese people coming to Italy and infecting them? I don't think you do. I don't think that's true. Good luck to us all...

That's my two cents, it's worth what you paid for it...

NorskiCroat 03-17-2020 03:53 PM

When did Wuhan become Wenshou? The New Yorker article references Wenshou, nearly 900 km from Wuhan.

WendyS 03-17-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Yes. 1 in Lake Cty :/

manaboutown 03-17-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roscoguy (Post 1728998)
So do you actually have any support for the alternative facts above? There sure isn't any in the article that GoodLife offered a link to. Instead, it says that the workers came from Wenzhou, a port city over 500 miles from Wuhan. It further states that "More than ten per cent of Prato’s two hundred thousand legal residents are Chinese." - a far cry from 100,000. The non-stop flights? Actually "between Wenzhou and Rome". Also missing from the NewYorker article is any mention whatsoever of Wuhan.

I'm afraid that this kind of looks like another case of reckless misinformation or rumor-mongering regarding the COVID-19 virus. :shocked:

Your sources may be far better than mine.

CORONA VIRUS EXCLUSIVE: WHY ITALY? - AltNewsMedia

Expert: Chinese Scientists Sell Lab Animals as Meat on the Black Market

David Vance
@DVATW
Many Italians in Northern Italy sold their leather goods and textiles companies to China. Italy then allowed 100,000 Chinese from Wuhan/Wenzhou to move to Italy to work in these factories, with direct Wuhan flights. Result: Northern Italy is Europe’s hotspot for Wuhan Coronavirus
5:03 AM · Mar 12, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
Ret

ColdNoMore 03-17-2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1729058)
Your sources may be far better than mine.

CORONA VIRUS EXCLUSIVE: WHY ITALY? - AltNewsMedia

Expert: Chinese Scientists Sell Lab Animals as Meat on the Black Market

David Vance
@DVATW
Many Italians in Northern Italy sold their leather goods and textiles companies to China. Italy then allowed 100,000 Chinese from Wuhan/Wenzhou to move to Italy to work in these factories, with direct Wuhan flights. Result: Northern Italy is Europe’s hotspot for Wuhan Coronavirus
5:03 AM · Mar 12, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
Ret

I KNEW IT! :1rotfl:

Post #8.

For Prescience Check...Click Here :D

Yo GE, you said you didn't believe anything posted on political sites and yet...this Twitter is from Breitbart. :oops:

OrangeBlossomBaby 03-17-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithDB (Post 1729015)
Moments ago I received an email from The Villages entitled "An Important Message from Our Chief Medical Officer Regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19)." The message further explains why none have yet to test positive in The Villages. I'll quote directly from the email.

The Florida Department of Health has some interesting statistics regarding testing. Here are the numbers.

Total Tests Performed = 2004
Positive Results = 192
Negative Results = 940
Results Still Pending = 872

It's up to 216 with 7 deaths total (including Florida residents who died outside Florida)

Laurawilcox 03-17-2020 09:19 PM

The virus is airborne for 3 hours

Quote:

Originally Posted by APovi (Post 1728847)
If I stay the recommended "6-feet' distance from other people AND I never touch my face - Am I 'immune' from infection?
It can't be that simple - Can it?
If not, how else can I get infected?:
:spoken:

Princeton medical published this information a handful of days ago. The virus can live in the air for up to 3 hours, thus spreading transmission even when you wash your hands. They are debating the size of the droplets spread when an infected person sneezes. If large, they would go to the floor, if smaller, they can stay airborne through ventilation, fans, etc. That, and the fact that an infected person can stay contagious for the 2 weeks, versus a number of days for the flu, makes this a dangerous combination.

I would suggest if you must go to a store or bank, go as soon as they open, hoping for the least likelihood of infection preceding you.

GoodLife 03-17-2020 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsALLaboutTheLOVE (Post 1729049)
1- The New Yorker article you referred to was written 2 years ago. Before the virus happened.
2- Also the entire article is about how in the 80s, Chinese workers came over to work in sweatshops for high end fashion designers in Italy.

Everything you mentioned in your post has nothing to do with THIS NYer article. Do you have other evidence about a hundred thousand Chinese people coming to Italy and infecting them? I don't think you do. I don't think that's true. Good luck to us all...

That's my two cents, it's worth what you paid for it...

Sorry, posted the wrong link previously, had 20 tabs open. This is the correct link below.

Northern Italy & Wuhan: Partners for Better or Worse

Northern Italy & Wuhan: Partners for Better or Worse - Italy Health China

KeithDB 03-18-2020 12:25 PM

Florida DOH just posted its numbers and I have performed a similar analysis to what I did yesterday to determine the percentage of positive tests. Despite many more tests being done, the percentage testing positive jumped from 20.5% to 30%. Here are the numbers.

Total Tested = 2493 (+489 from the day before)
Total Positive = 314 (+122)
Total Negative = 1225 (+285)
Tests Pending = 954 (+82)

Adding the positive and negative gains together yields 407 tests resolved between yesterday and today. Of those 122 were positive, so 30% of those tests resolved between yesterday and today were positive. That number yesterday from the day before was 20.5%. Yesterday the overall average was 17%. That's now been pulled up 20%.

If we apply the most recent figure of 30% to the 954 pending tests, then about 286 of those pending tests would come up positive without a single additional test being performed.

Notably more tests are being performed. The figure today jumped 489 from yesterday. Whereas yesterday jumped only 180 from the day before it. So more than double the tests are getting done.

Much more are being resolved too. The test resolved increase of 407 today compares to just 156 for the day before, again much more than double.