First Impression

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2013, 12:44 AM
Default LSP- Checkbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
It's as good as it gets, when surrounded by so many happy people.
Hi Karen: You drank the water !!! That was your first mistake, and the best thing you ever did.

I was first in TV in 1998 visiting for one day. Loved the place. Ten years later - when I was thinking about buying a house in FL, The Villages popped back into my mind. I scheduled a LSP, grabbed up a friend, and spent a week in TV, NOT PLANNING TO BUY, JUST LOOKING. Wrong!! I drank the water and never looked back.

Welcome to TV.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:41 AM
Veteran member

My husband kept talking about TV and moving to Florida. I told him that I wasn't sure that I wanted to be around all the old people. Came for a lifestyle visit in 2006, bought a month later and have been here ever since! We love it and are more active now than we ever were up north. I've noticed that the people don't seem to be as old!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

We bought here sight unseen in our mid 50's. My parents bought a vacation home, loved it so much they decided to buy a bigger home within a couple of months and were going to sell the first one. Knowing their taste and judgement, we said over the phone that we'd take it. Never saw it or The Villages until after closing! We were amazed when we got here. LOVED the home and TV. That was eight years ago. Now here full-time.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

I would be careful about current emotions influencing some distant future event/plan.

My baseline decision would be: I will wait till I am retired and ready to permanently move to make a home purchase. I would be very concerned that the cost of buying early would outweigh the benefit of it and consider all of the risks. My plan would be to rent till I was ready to move.

I would have to come up with a very compelling reason to alter that decision. It would have to be more than excitement about the future!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyOfLife View Post
I would be careful about current emotions influencing some distant future event/plan.

My baseline decision would be: I will wait till I am retired and ready to permanently move to make a home purchase. I would be very concerned that the cost of buying early would outweigh the benefit of it and consider all of the risks. My plan would be to rent till I was ready to move.

I would have to come up with a very compelling reason to alter that decision. It would have to be more than excitement about the future!
You are very wise indeed. But the beautiful place and the myriad of things to do and the joy of being with enthusuastic people from all over will wear you down.

Best mistake we ever made.

And we continue to get younger. Soon they will be begging us to join that danged Baby Boomers club.

Up with Bloomers down with Boomers. Or is it the other way around?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You are very wise indeed. But the beautiful place and the myriad of things to do and the joy of being with enthusuastic people from all over will wear you down.

Best mistake we ever made.

And we continue to get younger. Soon they will be begging us to join that danged Baby Boomers club.

Up with Bloomers down with Boomers. Or is it the other way around?

Gracie, you are a hoot.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:

I disagree with that, we plan on buying very soon even though we will not be able to spend a great deal of time there for 4-5 more years. Sure we will have to rent it out for the next few years but after the tax deduction for my mortage interest, I estimate my out of pocket expense to be about $7,000 per. On a $225,000 house, that is 3%, I am sure home prices will rise more than 3% per yer over the next five years.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 AM

We've been here 2 months and I am also one that never looked back. I am 52 and my hubby is 55 - we've met many people and are starting to make some friends. It takes time though....wish that happened a bit sooner! But all in all.....I love it here! Welcome and enjoy!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodkev View Post
I disagree with that, we plan on buying very soon even though we will not be able to spend a great deal of time there for 4-5 more years. Sure we will have to rent it out for the next few years but after the tax deduction for my mortage interest, I estimate my out of pocket expense to be about $7,000 per. On a $225,000 house, that is 3%, I am sure home prices will rise more than 3% per yer over the next five years.
Good luck to you. I hope it works out.

If you noticed, my post was in the context of what I would do... not you!

I just happen to be very conservative in the area of personal finance and personal risk.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Good luck to you. I hope it works out.

If you noticed, my post was in the context of what I would do... not you!

I just happen to be very conservative in the area of personal finance and personal risk.
I wasn't attacking you, I was just pointing out how small the potenial risk is with the current market condtions and interest rates.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:55 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the comments.

A couple of years ago we got a good deal and bought a vacation home near Disney (I love Disney). Our thought was that it is large enough to accomodate our entire family. I love the place but the kids just don't seem to use it enough as anticipated. It is too far to drive for regular visits (17 hour drive with minimal stopping each way and too expensive for a family to fly down frequently), and now the grandkids are enrolled in so many activities.

Our new plan is to put that place up for sale and just "switch locations" of our vacation/retirement place. My husband most likely will be retired within a year and we can be snow birds for a while. I see a Disney club that I will join and he will golf and look into the motorcycle club. Then there are so many other options too.

While I can't be there now it sure if fun planning - except to watch the home prices raise.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Platinum member

We just wish we had been able to move here 10 years earlier when we were in our 50's! Sigh!

Don't buy and move your parents here in anticipation of "your turn"! Once they get here, they may just outlive you!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.