First time posters only.

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Founder
Default First time posters only.

Each day there are hundreds of people who visit Talk of The Villages, read what has been said, but never post. Please jump in and say hello. Make you first post here, so that you will become part of the wonderful group that regularly posts here.

Thanks and Welcome.

Your Administrators.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:34 AM
duffer4384
Default Re: First time posters only.

Hello all, this is my first post on this site. I find the wide range of comments to be very informative.My wife and I have been interested in The Villages for quite some time now and have visited TV several times over the past ten years and enjoyed each visit more than the last. It was really hard leaving TV each time and returning to the old grind. We probably shouldn't have visited at all until we were old enough to retire. My wife and I will both retire in June and we are stepping up our interest in TV and this site has been a wonderful source of information. We really appreciate the honest comments that are posted on this site. We need to hear the non sugar coated, real people comments that are posted here. I have read about hidden expenses involved with living in TV. Can anyone shed a little light on this? Also, what are sink holes? As far as I know we don't have those in Ohio. Are there places in TV where sink holes are more of a problem than other areas? Thanks for the info.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Sage

Sink Hole: Florida is really a large sand bar with many small lakes and underground springs.
Frequently the upper layer of sand will cave into the underground spring (a sink hole) and if there is anything on the upper sand it also falls into the hole.

Homeowner's insurance needs to include sink hole coverage (for the full value of your property and more). Need hurricane and wind coverage too. In California, nobody can afford earthquake coverage and hardly anyone has it but in Florida around TV hurricane coverage is only about $150 with $500 deductable (much higher on on the coast).

Just don't seem right!
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-20-2008, 03:07 AM
duffer4384

Thanks for the info. From your response, it would seem that the risk of a sink hole would be equal thruout TV, but I still wonder if there is an area to avoid? I would hate to come down and fall in love with a property and buy it and end up in China.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:26 AM
BOMBERO

My 3rd. post... I think I'm getting the hang of it.
Q.- for Chuckinca - where did you buy H.O. Ins. that had hurricane ins. with it for $150.00
and only a $500.00 deductable? ( Just talking about the hurricane portion of the policy)

Do you have a place here in TV? Who is your coverage with ? Please help.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOMBERO
My 3rd. post... I think I'm getting the hang of it.
Q.- for Chuckinca - where did you buy H.O. Ins. that had hurricane ins. with it for $150.00
and only a $500.00 deductable? ( Just talking about the hurricane portion of the policy)

Do you have a place here in TV? Who is your coverage with ? Please help.

Got it thru the AAA office next to Perkins on 441, carrier is ASI, American Strategic Insurance. Total cost was under $600 per year (third year we have had the policy and includes sinkhole coverage). AAA in TV is a bit weird as they sold us homeowner's from ASI and Auto from Travelers. AAA in Calif has sold us these coverages from AAA for the past 25 years (???)
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

duffer4384,

Perhaps this link will answer some of your questions about sinkholes:
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm...ic,1034.0.html
Old 01-20-2008, 03:40 PM

Hello! Also my 1st time posting. I've been reading the comments for a few months and appreciate all of the information. Have been researching various areas in FL with the thought of becoming a snowbird (at least initially) while still enjoying the late spring, summer, early fall of the northeast. I'm a golfer so I know I would enjoy that part of 'heaven' in TV. My major areas of concern/interest are the insurance & tax rates in the TV area, actually FL as a whole and the bond/no bond issues. Now that I am an 'official' poster I'll have to review my notes/questions and get further feedback. Thanks for the opportunity to join in your discussions.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:35 PM
duffer4384

Thanks for the link punkpup, lots of good info.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:40 PM

Thank you for the welcome. My husband and I (he is 65 and I am 55) are Canadians from Ontario and are renting for 2 mos this year in TV. We want to "try it out" I guess. My biggest concern is that my husband is a bit of a workaholic and has a very bad knee and I just hope he finds some friends to "play with" LOL. He loves to entertain and eat good food, golfing, baseball but with his knee he cannot walk hardly any distance. He is getting a knee replacement when we get back to Canada. Keeping him busy will be a challenge.I on the other hand am quite happy on my own, reading, sunning, swimming or shopping and I think I will be fine. The weather is the big draw for me. We shall see. I do have a few questions and will post them later.
I think the chatting amongst friends is great but for me I would like to pull from the knowledge of the "locals" about other stuff at least until I am in TV and get my bearings. TTYL and thank you .
Old 01-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Veteran member

TH,
you know you can't title something like this and not have us regulars peek! Come on all of you TV "wannabe"s"! Join us! Some of us are "snowflakes" ,some "full-timers", some "wannabes"! Some just "flakes"! Ask questions! Lots of answers here! ;D

Becky
Old 01-21-2008, 02:36 AM
Platinum member

My husband and I are putting our house on the market this spring. We live in Columbus Ohio. We have visited the Villages on several occasions as his brother lives there. Our problem is that he has a small business – developing software, and wants to move two of his employees. So our move is complicated by his finding office space and housing for two employees. Oh my – I envy those who can just sell their home and move. I do consulting work and travel a lot but will just fly out of Orlando. Thank you for this forum – I read it daily. So many questions have been answered plus things I’ve not thought of. You all are a great group and we look forward to seeing you some day.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:31 PM

Hi,

This is my first post. I have been spending some time the last 2 days reading the various postings and find the information very interesting and helpful. Thank you.

I have just started looking into TV as a retirement option. I visited a friend there about a year ago and really enjoyed my stay.

I would like some help understanding the bond. Some recommend not paying it off up front, but to pay it off over 30 years at 7%.

Does the bank consider the bond part of the cost of the house, so that you could add it to the listed sale price and put 20% down and still get a conventional mortgage for the difference?

I would think that if you rolled the bond into a mortgage, then the interest would be tax deductable, and the present mortgage rates are less than 7%.

Is the interest tax deductable if you do not make it part of your mortgage?

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by richc
Hi,

This is my first post. I have been spending some time the last 2 days reading the various postings and find the information very interesting and helpful. Thank you.

I have just started looking into TV as a retirement option. I visited a friend there about a year ago and really enjoyed my stay.

I would like some help understanding the bond. Some recommend not paying it off up front, but to pay it off over 30 years at 7%.

Does the bank consider the bond part of the cost of the house, so that you could add it to the listed sale price and put 20% down and still get a conventional mortgage for the difference?

I would think that if you rolled the bond into a mortgage, then the interest would be tax deductable, and the present mortgage rates are less than 7%.

Is the interest tax deductable if you do not make it part of your mortgage?

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Richc,

Many more people will see your question and reply with helpful information if you would post this question as another thread in this forum.

Thanks
Jan Kokochak, administrator
Talk of The Villages
Old 01-21-2008, 08:03 PM

We are long time residents but first time posters here. As I read through some of the threads I notice a lot of people are mis-informed. I hope to help that situation by sharing my knowledge of TV.

mm
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.