first TOTV meeting!

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Default Re: first TOTV meeting!

I like the idea of keeping our monthly meetings at Crispers ---------- 3rd Friday of month at 3 pm. (3/3) At least for our first few get-togethers, this seems to be the easiest way to welcome everyone. Later, we may wish to change the format -----IMHO.

It was a fun time last Friday. Granted, it was difficult to visit with everyone but we can try to mingle a little more next time.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Platinum member

I wholeheartedly agree with the concept of sticking to Crisper's on the third Friday at 3:00pm - at least for now.

As it gets warmer, and/or we get a larger crowd, and/or some folks agitate for a place where one could have a beer, then we investigate an alternate site. Of which there are "a gazillion!"

For convenience, it might even be possible to try Beef O'Brady's, which is next door and would allow for the "dinkers" in the crowd!

Meanwhile - stick with the plan is my vote!
SWR
Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Sage

Red, I thought you wanted the change of venue discussed on the TOTV site. I am very open to any site people feel would be appropriate.

However I agree with the comments that we should stick to "same place, same time" so there is no confusion. BTW, the floor manager at Crispers was most accommodating when I told him we were expecting between 20 and 200 people!! He even had an extra cook and more wait staff on hand! And we ended up having a turnout of about 20 chat packers.

I doubt there'll be big turnouts in the summer with the snowbirds gone. Perhaps in the Fall, depending on turnout, we should revisit this?

And leave it at Crispers for the time being, 3 PM, third Friday of the month? Chatpackers 024 ..... Whatdoyathink?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Founder

I believe it is appropriate for a discussion of this nature to be conducted openly on TOTV. I assume that these gatherings are for all members, not just a select few.

If, on the other hand, a group of friends develops from within the forum and wishes to meet privately, then it is up to the leadership of that group to communicate such plans outside of the forum. Perhaps by regular email or telephone.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:40 AM
Veteran member

I thought it was a great meeting, It was nice to meet people we have chatted wit and whose posts we have kept up with. If your new to TV is is especially nice to have a group of friends to talk to. I'll be back in May and will truly miss the next sessions.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:50 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
I believe it is appropriate for a discussion of this nature to be conducted openly on TOTV. I assume that these gatherings are for all members, not just a select few.

If, on the other hand, a group of friends develops from within the forum and wishes to meet privately, then it is up to the leadership of that group to communicate such plans outside of the forum. Perhaps by regular email or telephone.
I had made a PRIVATE comment to Barefoot because (1) I didn't want to get this bogged down the way it has and (2) to simply get her feedback. I never said to flat out change it. Here is my original PM to Barefoot, "A few of us were talking and hoping we could find a place where we could bunch the tables more, maybe even have a backroom for us rather than Crispers. It was fun but so hard to really get to meet anyone not just next to you." Her reply to explained that they had checked out several places but ohly Crispers was willing to work with an unknown quantity (I find this hard to believe but didn't argue it). So far as I was concerned, my question had been asked and answered. THEN, Barefoot posted here that I wanted things to change.

Sorry, I think when someone sends a private message, they have a right to expect it to stay private. At the very least, you ask before you make it public. I wasn't trying to go behind anyone's back and I really resent your implication that I did, Jan. I felt that since Barefoot had made the effort to actually set this meeting up, she should know there were some concerns.

Those concerns were summarily dismissed in this thread. Actually, they were pretty much ignored in her response to my PM. There is no way to move the tables in a reasonable manner to be able to talk to anyone but your immediate neighbors. The patio will make seating options much better (unless that tables and/or chairs are bolted down). However, there will be many times that the weather will make the patio unusable.

Since I am now on my high horse, I may as well address some other issues.
  • To say it would be too confusing for TOTV members if the meeting place was changed is too condescending to really discuss. So far as I know, we're all adults. We all know how to write things on calendars if we can't remember. From what I can tell, none of us have Alzheimers.
  • To set up a meeting for Good Friday is just silly. It either gets changed or cancelled for that month. I can't believe anyone would try to insist that a get together be held on that day.

• I do know monthly meetings have been discussed long before this one came about.

Please do not get me wrong. I truly appreciate all the work Barefoot did in setting this up. It was suggested (again) by Barb and Barefoot went to the trouble of setting it up. I respect all the work that was done. However, others do have a right to make suggestions. This is not yet a club. No one has been elected to office. Other viewpoints and opinions should be considered and not just summarily dismissed as has been done here.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-22-2008, 03:00 AM
Gold member

Here's my suggestion.
February meeting at Chrispers's as planned. When we are gathered let's discuss the meeting place ,how we want to proceed as a group , and decide if we want to make any changes.
Has anyone spoken to the management about moving tables, both inside and out.
I had a really good time and I like the venue, would have been just right if the table were set up differently.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 AM

WHOA Red ! Sounds like your intentions were good but, please chill, as I am doing, literally, in NJ. Such a nice event shouldn't be turned into a big mess of hurt feelings. I don't think people really, LITERALLY, meant things the way you took them.

I vote for the event date, time, and place to remain consistent for the sake of everybody scheduling in advance. Things can be fine tuned once the need develops. I think the poster who talked about "forgetting", (ref: Alzheimer's) simply meant "can't keep up with changed dates, times, place". We all like things to stay the same once established, I know I do.

I,for one, can't wait to attend the April TOTV get-together, when I come for my week long Lifestyle Preview visit. I am sorry Russ_Boston and wife won't be able to attend as they are coming the following week. More pictures please.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:34 AM
Sage

For what it's worth.... I agree with Beady; Crispers worked very well...not perfect but good enough; very convenient location and we had the place to ourselves.

In Feb, we can collectively decide about March...postpone, move to a different date, etc.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:14 AM
Sage

Beady and Villages07

To clarify my response back to Redwitch's PM, it was: "whatever the group wants is fine with me". That is still the way I feel! I'm in TV to enjoy life, and what a great place to live!

Peace and love everyone! lovehorse
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.