First Villager tests positive

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONKEY10 View Post
Anyone realize there was a 5.7 earthquake in Utah this morning?
Not scary enough. It has no staying power. This flu thing will go on like the energizer bunny from all the wackos.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRK1939 View Post
You have to be kidding that this person should be kept anonymous ! This isn't a fun game we are playing, testing positive will be the death sentence for many Villagers. We should have ALL been isolated days ago. One gets the feeling that only Marshall law will bring home how serious this virus is to too many people having little concern for themselves or others of their species.
This is exactly why the need for privacy. People hoarding toilet paper and essentials from others shows just how human nature can play out. Imagine if a person is identified; panic, finger pointing, blame, burn them mentality will be rampant. We have been too healthy, wealthy and clueless for too long. Stay home....if you are lucky you won't get it. To retrace your steps for the last 2 weeks or LONGER would be impossible. No blame, this is new to everyone. Even your government.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:42 AM

[QUOTE=Currahee71;1729569]So true. People hoarding TP and water...
Virus attacks the lungs not your intestines.[/QUOTE

COVID-19 Symptoms vary. Some people do have GI symptoms.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONS999 View Post
Hey when I was in an iron lung in the early '50s with polio and our house was being quarantined

that was epidemic

When we get past the 17,000 death toll of the swine flu back in 2010 then maybe
" pandemic" and other terms can start to be used
Sorry for your suffering. Do you really want others to suffer like you did?
Old 03-19-2020, 07:49 AM

how about pickelball? People sitting on a bench??
Old 03-19-2020, 07:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nututv View Post
Person gets Flu. News at 11. God I'm sick of all the hype.
and yet here you are commenting on it. if you are truly sick of the hype, why not avoid these discussions?
Old 03-19-2020, 07:57 AM

Let the panic begin. Keep calm and limit contact with others. Wash your hand and don't touch your face. Since you don't know who the patient is you have about 100,000 to 1 chance you even SAW this person.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
My golfing buddy called me today and said he had flu like symtoms with a 100.3 temperature. Called his Dr who gave him health dept to call who said he is not in group that needs to be tested. What happened to anyone who wants it can be tested??
This is not political this is a serious health problem.
Gatorbill1, Why would you want to be tested? If you have flu symptoms you are instructed to stay home, self quarantine and wait for your body to recover.

If you had a positive test you would be instructed to stay home, self quarantine and wait for your body to recover.

Unless you have life threatening complications, like difficulty breathing, the treatment is the same.

It is the "worried well" who will bring down our healthcare system.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Hope you are kidding......first said on video on March 6...

““Anybody that wants a test [for the coronavirus] can get a test.”
Only said by 45. All other national health said please “only if you have symptoms and you traveled, and first line defenders, doctors nurses etc”
Once all of them tested then we can test more. Despite what our president says we still do not have anywhere enough testing available. Therefore self quarantine and wait until all the priority people are tested first.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
My golfing buddy called me today and said he had flu like symtoms with a 100.3 temperature. Called his Dr who gave him health dept to call who said he is not in group that needs to be tested. What happened to anyone who wants it can be tested??
This is not political this is a serious health problem.
If everyone in the US would be tested that would be 327 million tests And it would measure only one point in time. Repeated tests would be needed. It’s not possible.

Just act as though you have a positive result. Take care of yourself and protect others.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
As many so -called laws ( bureaucratic crud) have already been suspended, so should certain aspects of HIPAA. No names need to be released but where this person came from ( cruise, airline, etc) and how long they may have been infected need to be released for the greater good of the public. The last thing we want now is a group of unsuspecting carriers hanging out at City Fire or innocently shopping at Walmart unintentionally infecting others.
You assume that “unsuspecting carriers”
are not already in all of those places. Wrong. Social distancing and quarantines are being recommended because carriers can have no symptoms for many days while they are shedding virus everywhere. The majority of people have mild or no symptoms. By complying with guidance, we are all compassionately hoping to protect the ones who would get seriously ill or die from this...which could be you or me or someone we love.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:36 AM

33 people have been tested in the Villages....out of how many of us here?

Last edited by dougjb; 03-19-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne19335 View Post
I understand everyone’s desire to know who this person is and which village he or she lives in. However, to reveal a name would be a violation under federal law. I doubt very much that HIPPA will be repealed since the federal government is still way behind the rest of the world in dealing with this virus.
At the moment, I would agree with every word of the response, especially with regard to HIPPA. However, I assume HIPPA could indeed be modified to carve out the coronavirus given the massive level of ongoing concern. If there is a way to know if others have been directly exposed to a victim/carrier, they should be tested.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariad View Post
We need to have any person in contact with this person to be tested. This should be a REQUIREMENT when a Villager has COVID19!!!!!!!!
One of the things that makes this virus so difficult to slow down is that symptoms don't show for two weeks after contracting the virus. Most people are not going to remember every single person that they had come into contact with over that two week period. Even if they did, they may have left the virus on every door knob and other surface that they touched. It's impossible to tell how many people contracted the virus from that one person.

One thing that seems certain is that there are far more cases than are being reported. I don't say that because the government is being dishonest, I say it because they can only report on cases that they have been detected. They can only report "known" cases.

Even if we could test everyone in the country, it wouldn't help. A person that tests negative is only negative at the time of that test.

Consider this. You have some symptoms and you go to get tested. Three days later you get your results and you are negative. But, on the day that you got tested a person that does have the virus came into the testing center behind you and left the virus on the door knob that you touched on the way out of the testing facility. You contracted the virus on the way out.

Even though you tested negative, you have Covid-19 and are likely to have spread it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishJW View Post
At the moment, I would agree with every word of the response, especially with regard to HIPPA. However, I assume HIPPA could indeed be modified to carve out the coronavirus given the massive level of ongoing concern. If there is a way to know if others have been directly exposed to a victim/carrier, they should be tested.
I believe that the government has allowed for certain violations of HIPAA in the case of Covid-19.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
positive, case, health, hospital, deemed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.