First Visit to TV

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2019, 07:28 AM
Default First Visit to TV

Last edited by Nonni252; 09-25-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:37 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

Think school buses.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:24 AM
Sage

Thanks for posting. Please let us know your impressions of both developments in Sarasota and how they compare to TV.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:36 AM
Sage

Great Restaurants in Sarasota, really bad traffic-try the Lucky Pelican-terrific seafood
Old 08-21-2019, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonni252 View Post
We're finishing up our first visit to TV and it was a lovely visit indeed! We were welcomed by so many friendly, helpful Villagers and the two agents we used (one an MLS and one a VLS) were very helpful without being high pressure. I loved seeing how the private homes and public spaces are so well cared for - pride of ownership is in full bloom in TV.
Now we're on to the Sarasota area to check out Del Webb at Lakewood Ranch and The Village Walk. The Village Walk isn't age restricted but according to our agent in Sarasota, it has many of the amenities we're looking for and lots of new retirees in our age group (early sixties). Does anyone have any info on The Village Walk in Sarasota?
TV is high on our list of possibilities and after our Sarasota trip we'll be able to (hopefully) make our decision. Thanks for all the help and btw, Bravo!!! Pizza in Sumter Landing is fantastic! We ate there twice in our very short visit here. They have a nice selection of thin pies (very foldable) and also a Sicilian style. A serving of garlic knots and marinara sauce are complimentary while you're waiting.
You are welcome to come see us. Be home from art class at 12. I think I gave you directions. Oh it looks like you are heading out. If you decide to come back this trip. We would love to welcome you to our home.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

More hurricane possibilities in Sarasota area than TV. Just one thing to think about. Close to bigger city (tampa) is a plus.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:05 PM
Veteran member

We did the same thing as you - TV, then Fort Myers, then Naples. Only thing is we put a hold on a new house while here, and the agent reset the hold every 3 hours. When we got to Naples (it was December) the traffic was a turnoff, we found out the homeowners insurance and/or Condo dues is Crazy when you get close to the beach, and the prices get crazy right by the beach. About 2 days after we left TV, our realtor called and said there was someone else who wanted the house in TV and we had 2 hours to decide. We went to lunch, compared all the weather differences, activities, pricing etc. At the end, my wife said "the reality is that we are VILLAGE PEOPLE!". 5 years later I can tell you she was dead right. I am sure you will find your place, whatever it is. As for me and Donna, we are VILLAGE PEOPLE!
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 08-21-2019, 01:12 PM
Platinum member

Sarasota is wonderful if you love living by the beach.
Siesta Key beach is my absolute favorite.

The traffic and congestion is awful and even worse in Winter.

The property taxes will probably be double what it is in T.V.

We moved from Tampa after 17 years there because of the same thing, traffic and congestion.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:41 PM

Last edited by Nonni252; 09-25-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Sage

Come here after the snow birds are back, the traffic you experienced in other locations might not seem that bad; however, this place is the best
Old 08-21-2019, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonni252 View Post
You all continue to make good points and I appreciate every one of them. I'll post an update once we get back home. We're staying in Clearwater for a little break before Sarasota and here I am back here on TOTV - pretty funny, right?
I think it is a sign, VT
Old 08-21-2019, 04:20 PM

We looked at a lot of places in Florida before deciding. For us, we compared everything to what we saw here in The Villages and nothing compared to what is available here. Everybody is different and have to make their own decisions. When we came here the first time it was crazy how big the place was and all the activities. It is truly mind boggling to me.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:28 PM

We are also considering Lake Wood Ranch so please share your thoughts on how it compares to TV after your visit.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:45 PM

I have previously lived on the east coast and drove in traffic every day from the Ft. Lauderdale area up through parts of the Palm Beach area. I also lived in Sarasota for a number of years. Traffic in both areas was heavy but always moved except for problems on the Interstates.

Overall, I have found traffic worse here because the counties have not kept up with the roads due to the population increase. Our two-lane roads with no shoulder are too narrow and mostly impassable. Also, within The Villages, the circles do nothing to help with the flow of traffic, particularly in season and the gate cards in many areas also slow down the ingress into some communities. Just last week I was about the 10th car in line waiting to go through the Sanibel gate.

In any major town or city in Florida, particularly in season, you can expect to have heavy traffic. We just have to grit our teeth, smile and deal with it!
Old 08-22-2019, 07:59 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

I have lived here full time for over 2 years and was a winter renter for 5 or 6 years and can say that unless there is a construction back up I have never had a problem with traffic and the turnabouts are much much better than stop lights or stop signs, safer too. Probably the worst intersection is 466 and Morse and even then waiting for a second green light is not that bad. We also spent a lot of time renting on the east and west coasts and at times traffic, especially on the west coast is a nightmare.
Closed Thread

Tags
visit, sarasota, village, walk, high

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.