Making Donations in front of the grocery store

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2015, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Making Donations in front of the grocery store

Yesterday, on a trip to Winn Dixie in LSL, there were 4 young men soliciting donations for the USS Olympia at the 2 entrances. Every customer was asked to donate to this cause. Many did....

As I sat there waiting for my wife, I decided to look at the the website on their banner: WWW dot USSOLYMPIA dot ORG That web address takes you to a Japanese website...first red flag.

Then I decided to call the phone number on the banner, 888-895-2200 This number is answered by a nice recording of a lady with a British accent...2nd red flag

I then did a little more research on the Perseveration Society for the USS Olympia. According to their website, the society is NO LONGER receiving donations for the USS Olympia...3rd red flag.

I'm not saying this was a scam, they may be perfectly legit, but it just didn't pass my smell test or coincide with the research I conducted.

Finally, I did call the manager of Winn Dixie and informed him of my research. He informed me that they had provided all the required paperwork to be there, but after what I told him, he said he would go through it again. I drive by 2 hours later and they were still out front asking for donations.

Not trying to inhibit folks from giving to worthy causes...just be sure you're giving to real causes.

PS: When I put the website into TOTV, in a normal Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News - CNN.com format, it produced garbage.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:47 AM

Personally, I am sick of being solicited for money every time I go into the grocery store!
Old 03-13-2015, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

They were at the Winn Dixie in Pinellas also. I rarely give to anyone soliciting outside a store, except for the Vets on Poppy Day. In my last city, I spoke with the Publix manager about this several times. I told him I felt like I was being accosted every time I came shopping. In that area, we had kids all the time, too, with their football helmets, or asking for $$ to go on a school trip. First of all, some of them were hardly polite, and their parents were sitting there talking while I gave their kids $$ to play sports (?).Uh-oh...felt a tangent coming on...Anyway, Publix said if they let one group solicit they had to let them all, to which I responded, then stop them all. It was a rare day I could walk in the store and not be embarrassed to not hand over some $$ to someone. I've learned to say "No thank you" and keep walking, and donate to the charities of my choice in the manner in which I choose to do so.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Sage

I don't believe in donating to people in front of stores, who claimed money is going to go, where they claim it is going, to go. In another words, I am leery.

I say "no thank you" and keep on walking. Who knows, if they don't have more money, than people who are donating!

I don't like being asked for money in front of stores. I will donate to worthwhile causes, that I know the money is put to good use, but that's me.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

And still I get suckered in occasionally. I gave money to a very sad, teary man in the Publix lot that needed $$ to buy his kid a meal at McDonald's. Didn't I watch that man get in his car and pass right by the McDonald's?? Lesson learned...if I feel so moved again, I'll offer to buy the McDonald's myself and give it to him.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:22 AM

Oh,MY!!! I was one that gave $.... I even made the comment that it was nice to see such nice young men working for a cause.....and one responded something to the effect,
"Looks can be deceiving".....so there you go....

They might have had all their paperwork in order for Winn Dixie, but....did the store research like you did.... ?

Thank you for being so thorough. I am reporting it to the local police now.

Linda Lou

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years! Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-13-2015, 10:56 AM
Default Bogus activity

Folks, I'm pretty familiar with both the OLYMPIA and the Philly Seaport where she has been berthed since about 1996. In fact, all my kids have been there on various school or group trips over the years, and I have helped with various fund-raising activities/events myself. I spoke with someone there to ask about this activity in TV and learned that it is NOT anything that they have organized or authorized directly. However, they said that they have come to learn of several grass roots efforts around the country, one in particular in Olympia, WA, that have sprung up to try and support the Seaport's rehab of the vessel. This one, however, sounded a bit fishy even by those standards.

Bottom Line: Don't give unless you know beyond a doubt who the organization is (VFW, Am. Leg., Local Fire/EMS, etc.). And, if any industrious Villager happens to snap a pic of these folks at Publix or anywhere else, shoot me a PM and I will have you send me the photo to pass along to the Seaport staff. I gave them all the website and toll-free number info and they were quite intrigued!
Old 03-13-2015, 11:07 AM

USS Olympia was actually a protected cruiser, not a battleship; flagship of Adm. Dewey's squadron at the Battle fof Manila Bay. If they don't know what they are talking about it's the 4th red flag.

I coached all sorts of youth sports through the years and we raised money with car washes, hit-a-thons, and other active money raising activities. I would never have the kids ask for a handout on the sidewalk.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Gold member

I'm tired of retailers that will not say "no" to stuff like this.

But, to be fair, they probably fear being sued for discrimination of some kind or another!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:57 PM

Too many scams so I have the policy of only giving to the salvation army red kettles in front of stores, at least you know they are legit.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:59 PM

We can no longer say I gave at the office.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Gold member

I should have tried the web site, but I was in a rush. Left a donation, anyway. Dumb.

Today there were military-dressed solicitors at Sam's Club, I think selling bracelets. skipped that one.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I just tell em I'll try to catch them on the way out. Sometimes I do make the effort if it is an organization I know or a cause I believe in. Otherwise, I just keep on walking when done shopping. If they say something, I just say shopping cost more than expected, sorry.

As to those with the sob stories in stores, I really do ignore them. I will happily give to a panhandler on the street but not if you accost me in any manner. I give because I want to not because I feel intimidated or you're playing with my sympathies.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Gold member

I always give them the evil eye.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I long ago stopped any donations except our direct contribution to St. Jude's .

I don't care if they are legit or not more times than not they do not handle contribution to "the cause's prime benefit or they mismanage them and that includes United Way.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.