Christmas Decorations

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Christmas Decorations

My wife and I put a deposit down on a GrandView last Fall. We then, after paying $7500 deposit, got the HOA documents.
One of our many questions is are there restrictions on outdoor Christmas Displays? Currently we have lights over garage, a lighted wreath, and lit figures I place on lawn area. Such as a sleigh, three deer, an Angel a snowman and a multi part nativity which I place in front of our front trees so that it is visible from the street. Also a Christmas tree made with light strings and a spiral tree. and net lights over bushes. We have heavily wooded acreage, though we lost over 14 trees in Irene, not counting the ones in woods.

I would want to have decorations on the house in The Villages, probably some different, maybe more around roof line since one story.

We will check out lot in February since we bought it by EMAIL photos. If it does not work out, we may lose deposit and not build. I am not happy that many documents were not sent until after we made deposit. Such is illegal in Maryland.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

OH my dear Bavarian...You will be so happy. You can put Christmas decorations whereever you want and the sky appears to be the limit.

You are gonna have a good time mit der tannenbaum und der...what are elves in German? and the lights. lights. lights. Hope you are one of the vacant lots in our neighborhood!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think they should have made everything clear and given you the documents, allowing time to read, before you signed. I wonder if this is a common practice or an over site.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
OH my dear Bavarian...You will be so happy. You can put Christmas decorations whereever you want and the sky appears to be the limit.

You are gonna have a good time mit der tannenbaum und der...what are elves in German? and the lights. lights. lights. Hope you are one of the vacant lots in our neighborhood!
Village of Sumter, Unit 174. Backing on a Preserve.
Froehliche Weinachten!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I think they should have made everything clear and given you the documents, allowing time to read, before you signed. I wonder if this is a common practice or an over site.
I thought it was perfectly clear. Both times we bought here. I didn't feel anyone was trying to pull a fast one.

Sometimes if you hang around this site you will have some things such as deed restrictions made more clear

i.e. No bright pink flamingos, cannons with piles of cannon balls, bending over ladies with fat behinds, and kissing Dutch children, unless under your roof line in homes south of 466 but all of the Christmas decorations you want and can think of...even not cute....to others. But beautiful to you.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
My thoughts also, was told that we wouldn't get documents until we put down deposit! Villages Salesman, I better not name him here.

Also, did not know we had to pay in full at construction start! Was told that The Villages is so big, builds so many houses, that they can do what they want. Will have to try to get mortgage to cover until house built and we move and sell current house. Fortunately rates low, but many banks/brokerages won't lend on unbuilt house. Our current house we had custom made, but got construction loan from same bank that then converted it to mortgage when built and Certificate of Occupancy issued. I had thought we had until house built. We were given until 22 Aug to start, then build time.

Now, my mother-in-law starting to be not able to be left alone, will not move from DE and my wife worried about move to The Villages, was her idea likes activities. I can entertain myself with video, photography, gardening, etc.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
Village of Sumter, Unit 174. Backing on a Preserve.
Froehliche Weinachten!
Laurel Valley? That's us! I am pretty sure. Where is our plot mat??

And..Happy...I can't think of it either, Neu Yahr?

MeMason? Please tell me how to say Happy New Year in German!
Mit many Struedels und those white hard Christmas cookies too.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Laurel Valley? That's us! I am pretty sure. Where is our plot mat??

And..Happy...I can't think of it either, Neu Yahr?

MeMason? Please tell me how to say Happy New Year in German!
Mit many Struedels und those white hard Christmas cookies too.

I have to get started making the Stollen, I follow my mother's receipe. My wife makes the Italian stuff.

Herzlichliche Glueckwuenche zum Nuewes Jahre!

Last edited by Bavarian; 12-12-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian;428***
My thoughts also, was told that we wouldn't get documents until we put down deposit! Villages Salesman, I better not name him here.

Also, did not know we had to pay in full at construction start! Was told that The Villages is so big, builds so many houses, that they can do what they want. Will have to try to get mortgage to cover until house built and we move and sell current house. Fortunately rates low, but many banks/brokerages won't lend on unbuilt house. Our current house we had custom made, but got construction loan from same bank that then converted it to mortgage when built and Certificate of Occupancy issued. I had thought we had until house built. We were given until 22 Aug to start, then build time.

Now, my mother-in-law starting to be not able to be left alone, will not move from DE and my wife worried about move to The Villages, was her idea likes activities. I can entertain myself with video, photography, gardening, etc.
We didn't pay in full at construction start. We gave them about 25%.
and the balance at closing. I think you have misread something.

I did check and you will be our neighbors. I am sorry you missed a wonderful Christmas party for the whole neighborhood this last Saturday.

A lot of nice folks live here! Including a fellow named Hans..ja! Who is also building a Grandview.

Have you NEVER been here? You will be so delightfully surprised.

Kindest wishes,
Gracie and husband and daughter.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
We didn't pay in full at construction start. We gave them about 25%.
and the balance at closing. I think you have misread something.

I did check and you will be our neighbors. I am sorry you missed a wonderful Christmas party for the whole neighborhood this last Saturday.

A lot of nice folks live here! Including a fellow named Hans..ja! Who is also building a Grandview.

Have you NEVER been here? You will be so delightfully surprised.

Kindest wishes,
Gracie and husband and daughter.
We were visiting the Villages a couple of time. Some years ago, just drove there, took trolley tour. Last June took lifestyle preview tour in between visiting WDW and watching last Space Shuttle takeoff. But were hesiant, did not like lots we were shown. We have 4 acres in a development here, but most woods. Our sales rep called in August when new section opened, but then he sent pictures of Golf Course and Preserve. We bought on the Preserve to have some open land by us.

Especially liked German night at Tierra del Sol, but not as good as what my mother made, but not even Restaurants in Germany make Sauerbraten right.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Sage

Everyone makes sauerbraten a little differently and I have never had it at a restaurant like homemade.

Those lots with the view in our village sold out in two hours. So you were indeed lucky to get one.

Welkommen.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I thought it was perfectly clear. Both times we bought here. I didn't feel anyone was trying to pull a fast one.

Sometimes if you hang around this site you will have some things such as deed restrictions made more clear

i.e. No bright pink flamingos, cannons with piles of cannon balls, bending over ladies with fat behinds, and kissing Dutch children, unless under your roof line in homes south of 466 but all of the Christmas decorations you want and can think of...even not cute....to others. But beautiful to you.
Am I right in remembering that the covenants state 30 days max for seasonal decorations? Which means I can put out and then redress my kissing dutch children every month -of course, keeping with whatever holiday or "season" occurs. Right now I am thinking of what they could be wearing for January. Thinking "snow fairies."
Old 12-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Platinum member

Regarding the original question, I think the limiting factor for your decorations will be space and time. There's not much space for storage of all your seasonal decorations and according to the covenants, you can only display for 30 days. Your home may have much more storage than ours and probably will, since it's a premier and I seriously doubt if there is anyone that goes around and marks the calendar when everyone puts out their decorations. Good luck with selling and congratulations on becoming a Villager.

Also, you are only required to make a down payment of 20% to initiate construction, and any amount you have been paying to hold your lot applies to that. As far as financing is concerned, contact Citizens First Wholesale Mortgage. (Ask for Anthony) They will help you in more ways than you can imagine and their rates are very competative.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 05-11-2012, 03:26 PM

Hi,

we will be building on a lot not far from Bonifay (possibly the grandview model) and we were told that we need to put down 20 percent when they begin construction in early August. How do you like your Grandview? Any surprises, i.e., high monthly bills?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.