Window tinting advice needed

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2015, 01:09 AM
Default Window tinting advice needed

We are considering having window films or tinting applied to the windows in our house that face west. Does anyone know if such a practice would be inadvisable for windows that have Low-E glass? I've read differing opinions on the subject and I'm concerned about possible damage to the glass.

Also, if you have had your windows tinted, would you recommend the contractor you used? Thanks!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Gold member

We had Solar Guys scheduled to do our tinting and ended up having a window in a different room replaced a few days prior to our tinting date.

I mentioned how excited we were to have the tinting done to the window installer and he spent a lot of time to educate us about the downside of window tinting.

It voids your window warranty. The tinting companies may or may not pick up your full warranty and you may or may not have a large deductible with them.

He told us that he is out every week on calls to replace broken windows with tinting. Often they are incorrectly applied and they can build up heat below the film and the windows will shatter.

He had nothing to sell me or anything to gain. But we appreciated him sharing this information.

In our situation, we cancelled our appt with Solar Guys, and opted instead for cooleroo shades on the lanai.

We have had tinting on other homes and had no problem. But the cooleroos accomplished the same result for less $$ and no downside.

Just something to think about.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:35 AM

We used the Solar Guys and are very happy. We had two different strengths of film based on the direction to the sun. We have double pane windows but is a pre-owned home so not sure if low E. We love them and it really did make a difference.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:49 AM
Sage

If your windows were ordered correctly for this climate; the low E coating should be on the second surface of the insulated glass unit (there are two panes of glass and an airspace that make up the insulating glass unit, each pane of glass has two surfaces, the inside surface of outside pane of glass should have the low E coating).

With the low E coating on #2 surface it reflects heat back outward and cuts down on heat transmitted into the house.

That is a good thing if you are considering tinted window film, reason being; they will install the film on interior pane (so weather can not get to it). Tinted window film absorbs more heat than clear glass does (think about dark colored patio furniture verses light colored patio furniture). When glass is heated it expands. There is only so much room for the glass to expand before it comes in contact with the frame, that is when failure / breakage generally occurs. But, your low E coating on #2 surface reduced the amount of heat passing thru so the expansion is less, thus less of a chance for failure / breakage.

A side note: most of the big film manufacturers (like 3M) provide a glass breakage warranty if the film was installed by one of their authorized installers.

Last edited by dirtbanker; 05-21-2015 at 06:51 AM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 05-21-2015, 07:09 AM

We used Advanced Solar Tinting
Larry Barney
352-205 9473 cell
He did a nice job and for half the price as the others estimated
Old 05-21-2015, 05:55 PM

Thank you for the responses!
Old 05-21-2015, 09:10 PM

We did our entire home and used Solar Guys. Great job, not only cuts down on the sun, it also adds privacy.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove

Another vote for the Solar Guys. I had the Huper Optik Nano Ceramic film put on my slider and another West facing window. Big difference. I did have one edge I wasn't satisfied with and they are coming next week to re-do that window pane. Very pleased with the product & service!

Last edited by Susan G; 05-22-2015 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 05-22-2015, 11:40 PM

Hmmmm ...now uncertain whether to tint or not. The windows that face west are the double front bedroom window with a half circle transom (eyebrow window) above it; and the glass front door, that has two side glass panels and a half-circle transom (eyebrow window). The house is a little more than a year old and I definitely don't want to risk damage to a window...but the sun is intense, especially in the summer.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2015, 08:07 AM

We had window tint put on as soon as we moved here 11 years ago. 4 years ago we noticed the windows were failing because the stripping between the panes was breaking down. Also more than half the windows wouldn't open easily. Called home warranty, they were aware of the problem and sent out a contractor who replaced all the windows in our house. No problem with the warranty.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

We had a large palladium window tinted in Maryland. The window broke, we were told because of heat build up caused by the tinting. It cost $4,500 to replace the window.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfal View Post
the windows were failing because the stripping between the panes was breaking down. Also more than half the windows wouldn't open easily.
Junk Swiggle spacer...another attempt at warm edge insulating technology that did not work.

FYI; Awnings over windows can cause breakage failure as well. If there is a portion of the glass shaded and a portion of the same glass not shaded you have two different rates of expansion in the same pane of glass. Most times this fracture is denoted by a crazy and crooked crack (as opposed to stress crack that is sweeping and direct in travel).

If you want to tint the windows, be safe and go with someone that uses 3M film (or other reputable company) and get the warranty.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:22 AM

IES Energy Savers out of Ocala did a superb job for us. We used the same product - VISTA Window Film - on our house in Virginia. We had all Low E windows tinted shortly after moving to TV including front glass door. They are less expensive than the solar guys and VISTA is a U.S. made product from IES. We used V18 Celeste on all west and south facing windows. 352-245-0833 You won't be disappointed.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Gold member

We have Low-E windows and had tinting applied 11 years ago. No problem. It has been a long time, but I think they might have said they could only go so dark with the tint. I'm not sure. Anyway, ours are fine.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:03 PM

I really appreciate everyone's input!

Has anyone used "All Pro Window Tinting"?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.