Florida Auto Insurance Rates Rising Rapidly??

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to sjlarsen1

Travelers

2018 policy went from $834 (2017) to $1,006 (2018). Same car same drivers.

No accidents, no tickets.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 PM
Veteran member

Interesting. I also have USAA and my premium went down by $10 this year. I have discounts for multiple accounts, length of membership, safe driving, etc., so perhaps that makes a difference. I didn't change any coverage.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down A Question

I asked Allstate for an Auto Insurance Rate. They said it would be over $500 semi annual because I am over 80 although I have had no tickets and no accidents as far back as 50+ years. But they said it would be around $350 semi annually if I was under 80. Is that the going policy for residents over 80? Does everybody charge very high rates for over 80? I would never go with Allstate since that is a lousy way to treat clients. If you have been with them they will not gouge as much when it comes to over 80.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:18 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

When you do get comparable rates, take your current policy with you so you can be sure you're comparing apples with apples. Your deductibles, limits of Liability, rent reimbursements, lodging away from home, etc along with your credit score have an affect on the rates, and I'm sure there is a lot more that goes into it. You don't have to wait for your policy anniversary to change to another company, you'll get a pro-rated refund if you cancel it. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:38 PM

I've never known an insurance company not to advertise that they have low rates. Geico, to this day, claims to "save you 15% or more on your car insurance" and has for years. Does that mean they are 15% or more lower than everyone else? Of course not. Does it mean they will beat whatever you currently have by 15% or more? Nope. A few years ago, I actually took the bait and called for a quote. I provided them with my current coverage info and had no tickets, accidents, or claims. After running the numbers, they came back and said "you'd be better off to keep what you have".
Old 03-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

I think that auto insurance is all about advertising and marketing. These companies are making huge profits. Most people pay premiums for years and years and rarely ever collect much on claims. Personally, I don't think the insurance companies really care much about the claims or relative risk levels because they are making so much money on the premiums. But, they sure care about selling policies because their advertising budgets must be enormous. The best thing you can do is to buy as much liability coverage as you can afford.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Companies that advertise "can save you hundreds" are able to do it by suggesting lower or eliminating coverage.

I suspect there is not one that can do much better when comparing exact dollar for dollar coverage.

And you don't have to change insurance providers to accomplish lower your premium.
Your current provider can write you a much lower premium the same way.

For me the appropriate coverage is the priority not some alternative coverage that lowers the premium.

Penny wise and pound foolish applies here!!
Old 03-27-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8xwb View Post
I have my car insured through USAA which has a reputation for being a great company. I have a 2017 Chevy Volt which is, by the way, a great hybrid. In one year, my six month policy rate has increased almost 25%. I have rounded off numbers but the math below is quite simple. Divide the change in policy dollars by the original cost a year ago. In my case....November 2016 cost $600. November 2017 cost $750. That's a $150 increase. Divide $150 by $600 (150/600) and you get .25 which is the 25% I mentioned above.

I called USAA and they claim this is due to Florida rate increases. I have had no accidents,nor tickets, nor any changes in my credit score. I am hoping some of you Florida residents will spend the time to go back a year, and compare your rates, do the same math and share your results. I am wondering if all insurance companies are raising their rates here in Florida as much as USAA is! Please only spend the time if you too have had no accidents and no tickets during the past year. And it would be nice if you mention your insurance company's name. Thanks for your time!
I have USAA also and my rate increase is less than 10% with the same vehicles insured both years. You state your car is a 2017 which likely means you are insuring a newer, higher value, car than you were insuring for the full year last year which generally means higher replacement/repair costs and corresponding increases in insurance rates. I had a significant increase two years ago when I traded cars.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

Shop around as with every thing you buy. Auto insurance in Florida has a wide variety of cost. Some Companies here took a beating during Hurricane season and are trying to gouge their clients to make it all back in a hurry
Old 03-27-2018, 03:17 PM
Default Florida Auto Ins

Did not read all the post so this may hv already been posted. It is my understanding that Florida allows people to register their cars w no insurance. So we all have to pay additional insurance if we are involved with an uninsured vehicle. My Fl car insurance is twice as much as up north where no insurance no registration.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8xwb View Post
I have my car insured through USAA which has a reputation for being a great company. I have a 2017 Chevy Volt which is, by the way, a great hybrid. In one year, my six month policy rate has increased almost 25%. I have rounded off numbers but the math below is quite simple. Divide the change in policy dollars by the original cost a year ago. In my case....November 2016 cost $600. November 2017 cost $750. That's a $150 increase. Divide $150 by $600 (150/600) and you get .25 which is the 25% I mentioned above.

I called USAA and they claim this is due to Florida rate increases. I have had no accidents,nor tickets, nor any changes in my credit score. I am hoping some of you Florida residents will spend the time to go back a year, and compare your rates, do the same math and share your results. I am wondering if all insurance companies are raising their rates here in Florida as much as USAA is! Please only spend the time if you too have had no accidents and no tickets during the past year. And it would be nice if you mention your insurance company's name. Thanks for your time!

We just changed over to AAA and got a much cheaper rate than previously. But the agent did tell us that the rates would be increasing at renewal. This was in part due to hurricane claims to automobiles. Ya just can’t win.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
Did not read all the post so this may hv already been posted. It is my understanding that Florida allows people to register their cars w no insurance. So we all have to pay additional insurance if we are involved with an uninsured vehicle. My Fl car insurance is twice as much as up north where no insurance no registration.
The state of Florida requires every vehicle with four or more wheels maintain Florida Auto Insurance coverage. When you register your vehicle you must have proof of Florida coverage. The minimum requirement is $10,000 personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 property damage liability (PDL).
Florida Car Insurance
Old 03-27-2018, 06:05 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

If someone runs into my car or van with $10,000 worth of property damage liability it better be a fender bender. Have you seen what it costs to repair a car today, unbelievable. I think the state should bump up those minimums to at least $50,000.00
Old 03-28-2018, 06:38 AM

I have all my insurance with one company. Discounts are much better
Old 03-28-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
If someone runs into my car or van with $10,000 worth of property damage liability it better be a fender bender. Have you seen what it costs to repair a car today, unbelievable. I think the state should bump up those minimums to at least $50,000.00
No bodily injury required so if you are injured you are out of luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, year, cost, time, usaa

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.