Florida Employment Laws

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Veteran member
Default Florida Employment Laws

I am trying to understand why Florida allows employers to treat their employees like they are garbage. This law that allows them to fire people for no reason and without notice is ridiculous and cruel.

My niece worked at Carriage House, this new complex off of 466 in Oxford. Owned by Hawthorn Retirement... She was there 3 months prior to the place officially opening, working her tail off everyday, no time off and lousy pay but...still a job when there aren't any around. In flies the corporate jet a week ago full of corporate robots and suits...and everyone is out of a job. They said they were "bringing in their own people to work" meaning everyone who was hired at the beginning was there as a temp. They never told anyone that and now very good people are out of jobs. Some of these people lived in other states, sold their houses there and moved here under the assumption they had permanent full time employment! Now, they're out of jobs and homes...

They did it because they can and Florida law says it's ok. It's hard to work in a state where there is a permanent dark cloud over your head and you never know from one day to the next whether you're employed or not.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 AM

It's called "At will" employment and Montana is the only state that does not follow this doctrine. Unless your covered by a contract you can be fired from any job.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran member

Your description sounds bad. Are you sure you have all the facts?

It looks like some sort of assisted living facility and Nursing home. Preparation for opening and Operating the facility are likely to require different skill sets for many people. Some of those operational jobs might even require state medical licenses.

Did the people that were laid off have the skills for the operational jobs?

Can an they apply for a new operational jobs for which they are qualified?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Veteran member

And if an employee wants to quit they do not have to give a reason or give any notice. That is the other side of "at will". Do you want to legislate that side of the relationship?
Old 04-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

I understand your frustration, but the bright side would be that if she has any training or experience in the medical field, she will get other employment immediately!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Sage

Unfortunately that is the way big business does it. Zero concern for the middle class worker.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Florida is a "Right To Work" state. I have Horror stories about what has happened here in the Villages when employed by "The Villages". I won't get into it here but anyone that was employed by the Sales office or Daily Sun knows exactly what I am talking about. Called into the office as a Full-time employee and telling you that you have 15 minutes to clean out your desk. These people never had a clue and a lot were in upper- management. Never a black mark against them. Just- "We need to eliminate your job for $$$ reasons. Sorry!!"
Old 04-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyOfLife View Post
Your description sounds bad. Are you sure you have all the facts?

It looks like some sort of assisted living facility and Nursing home. Preparation for opening and Operating the facility are likely to require different skill sets for many people. Some of those operational jobs might even require state medical licenses.

Did the people that were laid off have the skills for the operational jobs?

Can an they apply for a new operational jobs for which they are qualified?
She was not in the nursing field. It isn't an assisted living place, just a retirement complex. She was an Executive Chef and never told she was only there to set up the kitchen for what turns out to be a corporate Chef flying in on the company jet this Saturday. The people that were fired (not laid off) were Executives...managers, chefs and a baker, all who were MORE than qualified for their jobs.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Sage
Florida is a right to work state, and unemployment is very high. Remember corporations are people, my friend.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Florida is a right to work state, and unemployment is very high. Remember corporations are people, my friend.
Not THIS corporation..you have to have a heart to be a person and they have no heart.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gilbert View Post
It's called "At will" employment and Montana is the only state that does not follow this doctrine. Unless your covered by a contract you can be fired from any job.
This is correct. This also means as an employee you are free to leave at will. It works both ways.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
This is correct. This also means as an employee you are free to leave at will. It works both ways.
Yes, it is called the free enterprise system and sometimes a capitalistic system. This thread could go "political", if not careful, real quick. What apparently happen in this case was some folks accepting employment without any assurance of future employment when the facility became operational. You do have to "feel" for the employees and perhaps they were "duped" by this employer. There are certain Federal Labor Laws that sometimes come into play when employees are fired without cause but that is beyond the scope of this thread. You do hear of a lot of unfair labor practices these days----it happens especially in times of high unemployment.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Veteran member
Default huh??????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Whaaaaatttt? Not in my book...They are created to protect the elite from responsibility...It is NOT people
Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Sage

If employees were all union members, the corporations could not get away with this type of abuse.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
She was not in the nursing field. It isn't an assisted living place, just a retirement complex. She was an Executive Chef and never told she was only there to set up the kitchen for what turns out to be a corporate Chef flying in on the company jet this Saturday. The people that were fired (not laid off) were Executives...managers, chefs and a baker, all who were MORE than qualified for their jobs.
Sounds like a change in ownership and/or management.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.