Florida Employment Laws

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
If employees were all union members, the corporations could not get away with this type of abuse.
If the employees were all union members they could also lose their jobs 'cause the union is making unreasonable demands. Goes both ways.

But, on the bright side I have my mom at Mission Oaks on 301 - have her apply there - seems like a good organization. These facilities are going up everywhere you look - don't give up hope.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
I am trying to understand why Florida allows employers to treat their employees like they are garbage. This law that allows them to fire people for no reason and without notice is ridiculous and cruel.

My niece worked at Carriage House, this new complex off of 466 in Oxford. Owned by Hawthorn Retirement... She was there 3 months prior to the place officially opening, working her tail off everyday, no time off and lousy pay but...still a job when there aren't any around. In flies the corporate jet a week ago full of corporate robots and suits...and everyone is out of a job. They said they were "bringing in their own people to work" meaning everyone who was hired at the beginning was there as a temp. They never told anyone that and now very good people are out of jobs. Some of these people lived in other states, sold their houses there and moved here under the assumption they had permanent full time employment! Now, they're out of jobs and homes...

They did it because they can and Florida law says it's ok. It's hard to work in a state where there is a permanent dark cloud over your head and you never know from one day to the next whether you're employed or not.
Why not go straight to the source of the information and ask about their corporate policies. Tell them you WERE considering residency before you heard about this action: Oxford Retirement Community | The Carriage House Gracious Retirement Living in Oxford, FL 34484
Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Veteran member

That's a good idea..I think I will do that!!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Location: Euclid, Ohio--Anahein California--DeLand Florida--Virginia Trace
Default "Start your own business"

I wonder how we got to this point where employees are running the show? I was brought up to go to work on time, shut your mouth and do a good job and the bucks will follow. With that upbringing, I never had any issues with keeping my job. I then started my own business and kept employees that were on my way of thinking and had no problems keeping help. Thank God I retired and got out of business when I did because I would have NEVER allowed an employee to run over me. When an employee would question me as to why I would always tell them "Because I said so. If you disagree, Start your own business" and they always went back to work after a "Yes Sir". The "Right to work" laws work.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Veteran member

What rosey little world have YOU been living in? As noted above, virtually ALL US states except Montana are "at-will" employment states. Unless you are SPECIFICALLY covered by a union or other legally binding contract your employment is "at-will". If I as a boss get up in the morning and I don't like you, I can ask you to leave for no reason. But as also noted, if I as a worker get up and decide I don't like my boss, I can leave for no reason. It's just life. Get on with it.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyworld View Post
I wonder how we got to this point where employees are running the show? I was brought up to go to work on time, shut your mouth and do a good job and the bucks will follow. With that upbringing, I never had any issues with keeping my job. I then started my own business and kept employees that were on my way of thinking and had no problems keeping help. Thank God I retired and got out of business when I did because I would have NEVER allowed an employee to run over me. When an employee would question me as to why I would always tell them "Because I said so. If you disagree, Start your own business" and they always went back to work after a "Yes Sir". The "Right to work" laws work.

AMEN! AMEN!! & AMEN!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
What rosey little world have YOU been living in? As noted above, virtually ALL US states except Montana are "at-will" employment states. Unless you are SPECIFICALLY covered by a union or other legally binding contract your employment is "at-will". If I as a boss get up in the morning and I don't like you, I can ask you to leave for no reason. But as also noted, if I as a worker get up and decide I don't like my boss, I can leave for no reason. It's just life. Get on with it.
ROSEY LITTLE WORLD??? Let me tell you something...these people were fired for no reason other than they got in the way of corporate idiots taking their jobs. My niece, in her"rosey little world" is now jobless, broke and trying to raise 2 kids alone. There are 4 other people who sold their houses because they were told to move on sight and then pink slipped 2 weeks after they moved in. Maybe YOU, Mr whoever you are can get on with YOUR precious life. There are now 16 people who can't.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyworld View Post
The "Right to work" laws work.

Tell that to the 4 people who are now not only jobless but homeless as well after being told to move on to the property and then pink slipped for no reason.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
ROSEY LITTLE WORLD??? Let me tell you something...these people were fired for no reason other than they got in the way of corporate idiots taking their jobs. My niece, in her"rosey little world" is now jobless, broke and trying to raise 2 kids alone. There are 4 other people who sold their houses because they were told to move on sight and then pink slipped 2 weeks after they moved in. Maybe YOU, Mr whoever you are can get on with YOUR precious life. There are now 16 people who can't.
And that's what "At-Will" is. That's life. I've been fired before and I've had to go looking for another job and make do until I could find another one. And yes..I CAN get on with my precious life. Would you care to have my disabilities as well? No. I thought not.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Sage

They have a Help Wanted ad in the paper today for a Server/Housekeeper.

th-www2.thevillagesdailysun.com: Classifieds
Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
If employees were all union members, the corporations could not get away with this type of abuse.
Absolutely correct Mulligan! No unions so no protection for the middle class!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Location: Euclid, Ohio--Anahein California--DeLand Florida--Virginia Trace
Wink Up North to Chicago?

Quote:
Tell that to the 4 people who are now not only jobless but homeless as well after being told to move on to the property and then pink slipped for no reason.
Sounds to me like Chicago is a better place to live than TV. If I fealt the way you feel about how things are done down here, I would move back to The Great City of Chicago where life is a Utopia for all citizens.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

we were just bought out by a new company....100 people walked out last week some low paying jobs... some midddle managment and some high end...it is what it is..no one says see you next week we wait, and say i have a job today
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Sage

You will also find that there is a 90 day probationary period, during which no money has to be paid into the unemployment pool. Some employers take advantage of that in an area of high unemployment.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
This is correct. This also means as an employee you are free to leave at will. It works both ways.
I just don't get why the "fairness" of this concept is hard to understand. Let's say a company invests a lot of money into training and relocating an employee who decides to quit one day to work for a competitor (or just stop working, for that matter). Would you like to legislate against this side of "employment at will"?

Last edited by Number 6; 04-06-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.