Florida License and Registration

Closed Thread
Old 12-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Default Florida License and Registration

Does anyone know if the DMV accepts out of state checks when I get a FL license and registration?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Sage

I believe they will take credit cards.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone know if the DMV accepts out of state checks when I get a FL license and registration?
They take Florida checks. Since you have 30 Days to get your license when you close your TV home they will give you a free checking account at Citizens Banks with a $10 balance. Go around the corner to the Citizens Bank on Old Camp Road just east of TooJays and depost a check into your new Florida account from your out of state bank account.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

I just did this last week. They took my out of state check no problem.

You need to know that for Florida at least right now you go to TWO different places....one for your license and one for your new plates. Go to www.gathergoget.com

This will tell you exactly what you need to bring. Folks here have posted how difficult it is, etc....but it only took us 10 minutes to get our licenses IF you bring the right stuff the FIRST time. Also, if you call the place and make an appointment it is even quicker. Mondays are always busier.

For my wife and I the two licenses cost us $103.00 They are good until 2020. Mine cost a bit more because of the added motorcycle.

Then you go to your new insurance agent. Everyone told me that car insurance cost much more in Florida, but I got a better policy, still with Allstate for $200 less per year down here compared to western NY.

Now plates.....one car cost me $456.55. Two year registration. But, that is pretty much a one time cost, and you do not have an annual car inspection here. you also do not pay taxes on your car here each year.

My homeowner taxes up in NY were 6k, compared to around 1k here, so I'm not complaining. I'm also not shoveling snow.

Hope this helps. Frank
Old 12-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Sage

Frank:

The $lK property tax is a shocker for Plantation.

What county is Plantation in? What is the rate per K. Are you getting a homestead exemption if so, how much?

Chuck

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Gold member

On this DMV link near the bottome of the page they say
Cash, Check, MasterCard, Discover Card, and
American Express Accepted

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/geninfo.html
Old 12-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Gold member

At the Golden Dome County building we got plates our licenses all in one place, used CC and was done within minutes. Read the site bring the correct paperwork and its no problemo.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 AM
Veteran member

Just the time it took to pass the vision test and get the VIN off the car and we were outta there minus almost 500 bucks

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

We went to the Wildwood location yesterday that's in the same complex as the new Library on 466a. We were able to convert our licenses from NY to FL, change the registrations of our two cars and vote to register all at the same time and with one payment.

The cost for everything was more than one thousand dollars. We were going to use our credit card, but decided to use a check when the rep, who was really great, told us it would cost extra. I was supervising DMV issuing reps like him previously, and I would have loved to have an employee like he was back then; he told us the cost for using the CC was slightly under 3%. At about 3% you're talking about enough money, especially when your bill is over $1000, to decide that it's wiser and just as easy use a check if you have it with you.

We were also able to pickup our homestead applications (Sumter Co. only) while we were there!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 12-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Gold member
Default -450-500

OUCH!!
For a Prius? Did you register a MC also? Frank is that every year? OUCH!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys;***765
OUCH!!
Since my middle name is Frank, I'll answer a question for you. The registration would be for between 1 & 3 years depending on when your birthday is and how many years you opt for. It's prorated. Also, the fee will be much lower when renewing because there is a one time initial registration fee of $225. You can see their chart of fees at http://www.flhsmv.gov/dhsmvfees.htm.

skyguy79

Former NYS Supervising MV Representative. Paroled 2002 (Yes, I mean't to say paroled)
Old 12-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys;***765
OUCH!!
Herv,
As skyguy already correctly stated, it is high the First time. Once you have the plate the yearly renewal is lower. The birthday thing is strange.....mine is in May, so my two year registration is really only for 17 months.....kind of goofy IMHO, as it is not pro-rated.

I just bought a almost new Town and Country as a second car, so that was another $400 dollars about.....

Frank
Old 12-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
The birthday thing is strange.....mine is in May, so my two year registration is really only for 17 months.....kind of goofy IMHO, as it is not pro-rated. Frank
Guess I got the pro-rated issue wrong. That's probably because when I was in the NY DMV Issuing Office we did pro-rate, both license and registrations. I would be surprised if they have since changed that so they can get their grubby hands on more of their residents money.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Veteran member

skyguy,
I find the Florida DMV fees complex.
This thread prompted me to look again at my paperwork.
They gave me an itemized registration for the amount of $368.30.....but they told me to make the check out for the amount of $419.90. I think I might stop back in just to check....(yes, I am a glutton for punishment). Before anyone thinks this was also for our two licenses, it was not, as I had to go to another place for those.....that check was for $103.....($49 + $54).

Now I just bought another car from a local dealer who is doing all of the DMV stuff for me. They charged me $402.40 for the total DMV cost.

The Prius weighed 2834. The new minivan weighs 4621. I am looking forward to seeing the actual receipt for the minivan.....

In a related matter, I just noticed that the title says the color of my Prius is Gray. It is clearly Tan/Gold. They SAW it when they checked the VIN number. I do not know if I need to get that fixed also......??

Frank
Old 12-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Gold member
Default Color vs Vin

Frank always get that cleared up, Later in a traffic stop might be a pain of conflicting!

Toyota can help you with Paint codes off the vin.

I believe your paint code is on the driver door b pillar?

Herv
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.