Florida now #5 state in country for COVID-19 cases

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2020, 11:24 AM
Default Florida now #5 state in country for COVID-19 cases

Based upon the last 24 hours Florida is about to climb that steep curve with total cases and # deaths. This is when we get to see how seriously people took the warnings on social distancing.

United States Coronavirus: 227,221 Cases and 5,349 Deaths - Worldometer

Stay safe and stay at home if possible. You don't want to be getting sick from anything at this point in time.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

So far I have not seen any posted deaths in TV. Numbers for positive are for everyone in each county. Do we know where just TV stands? The UF numbers are looking promising. Sadly any death is heartbreaking.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Because of the somewhat unique nature of the Miami area when reporting FL they should always include the Miami area and rest of the state.

The situation in Miami does not reflect for the most part the cross section of life and mix of the rest of the state.

So for me when FL is 5th in rank, I want to know the above numbers as well for a more realistic perspective. Not to imply for one moment there is not a problem else where in the state.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:48 PM
Sage

Yet haven't we heard that some areas of the state have "none" reported? As someone said...South Florida has A LOT of cases (sad). I also think I heard that because FL has so many tourists plus seasonal people it makes us more vulnerable. Which is why the social distancing is important as the numbers increase with testing.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:55 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Florida................8,000 cases.

Dade County 2400
Broward County 1350
Palm County 630

Three counties with ~1/2 of total cases.

Like NY has ~1/2 of total cases.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

This site, www.floridahealthcovid19.gov , has data by Florida county updated daily.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Florida now #5 state in country for COVID-19 cases

Any surprise since we are the 3rd most populous state?
Old 04-02-2020, 04:00 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

And it has only just begun. The kindling has been lit but the bonfire has not begun to burn.

Stay at home!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-02-2020, 04:10 PM

Another website to watch the Covid 19 numbers in Florida. Last Friday, Sumter County had reported 27 cases. Who knows where we will be tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:14 PM

From a statistical standpoint the numbers really mean nothing. It bugs me when all these numbers are thrown out and nobody really explains what it means for a specific city. We know NYC, Miami area, Southern California are bad, but what about here in The Villages?

So we are #5 in cases, but we are #3 in population, so is that good or bad? Half of Florida cases are in 3 counties in South Florida, so what does that mean for me living in The Villages?

Instead of focusing on these numbers let’s focus on something we can all identify with and relate to. So if we have 8,000 cases and 21 million in the state that is one in every 2,625 people so far have reported cases. This will rise over time and doesn’t include Non reported mild cases. Let’s look at Sumter County. As of 5:00 pm today 63 cases. With a population around 130,000. That is one case per every 2,063 residents.

At least for me those are numbers I can identify with and helps me assess the risk. Each individual will need to assess the risk and what risk they are willing to take (exercise, golf, grocery, store, etc).
Old 04-02-2020, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond1959 View Post
From a statistical standpoint the numbers really mean nothing. It bugs me when all these numbers are thrown out and nobody really explains what it means for a specific city. We know NYC, Miami area, Southern California are bad, but what about here in The Villages?

So we are #5 in cases, but we are #3 in population, so is that good or bad? Half of Florida cases are in 3 counties in South Florida, so what does that mean for me living in The Villages?

Instead of focusing on these numbers let’s focus on something we can all identify with and relate to. So if we have 8,000 cases and 21 million in the state that is one in every 2,625 people so far have reported cases. This will rise over time and doesn’t include Non reported mild cases. Let’s look at Sumter County. As of 5:00 pm today 63 cases. With a population around 130,000. That is one case per every 2,063 residents.

At least for me those are numbers I can identify with and helps me assess the risk. Each individual will need to assess the risk and what risk they are willing to take (exercise, golf, grocery, store, etc).
Very true. But large numbers make good headlines.

While it would be near impossible to calculate, I'd love to see a relative risk table of common activities---walking a dog, cycling, golf, grocery shopping, etc. Then you would really be able to assess your risk.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Exactly, now dwindle that down to how many of the reported cases have died. The chance of you pushing daisies from this has to be far lower than getting whacked on the way to get your 100 rolls of toilet paper. I'm not saying go find a crowd and start hugging everyone but at the same time, lets be realistic and not let the media stir us all into a ball of nutcases. We've already got our fair share of those.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:31 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:

You appear to be forgetting a couple important items in your 1 per 2k summary.......only 800 tested and people are infectious prior to testing. At one time, New York, Italy, China, etc., each had 63 cases.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:41 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
You appear to be forgetting a couple important items in your 1 per 2k summary.......only 800 tested and people are infectious prior to testing. At one time, New York, Italy, China, etc., each had 63 cases.
Sumter currently has 63 confirmed cases, Lake has 76, Marion has 33

Not sure how many of those are in TV, but here is a report that for every 1 case that is identified, there are 10 undiagnosed cases. I'd be very careful for next 30 days.

How Many People in the United States Actually Have COVID-19?
Old 04-02-2020, 05:29 PM
Default # Deaths is probably the best way to gauge

Agree that the total # cases is not a good measure as every town/city will be on a different part of the curve. But everyone will experience the curve and no-one has reached it's peak yet.

From observation, if you just look at what people are experiencing you can understand how dangerous this is. e.g. how often have you taken a cruise and returned home with 4 people dead and many others seriously ill from the Flu? Or gone to choir practice and dozens get sick with 2 dead from the Flu. Or heard of a large number of sailors being evacuated from a navy ship because of the serious risk to their health. The # of celebrities that have already been infected and died shows how this touches everyone.

This is clearly not your regular flu, and our actions directly affect both us AND those around us. It still has to fully play out. We need to take it seriously. Keep listening to the scientists, and hopefully by May/June we will be beyond that curve and we will be here to enjoy golf again.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, stay, cases, safe, warnings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.